Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Brain storming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Brain storming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Brain storming

Okay. I came up with this ideas in class because I'm a ninny and refuse to pay attention to any more Chomsky...even if he's a big shot in linguistic anthropogy.

Anyhow...when/if Nova gets established, how about having our droids link into her....like...the internet. Yeah, this is gonna sound ULTRA Chobits, but hey, I think it's a cool idea.

I have more...but my train isn't going to wait for me to just up and decide to get my ass to the platform. I'll edit this post when I get home to include more.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm so going to submit my general plan for an internet cafe deal. Someday. Eventually.

The only problem is how would you go about using an In-Game version of the internet? Sure, Agents and Technicians would get uber hacking skills (the former for financial game, the latter for pimping their droids). But everyone else? Would they (computers) require Electronics skill to use, or is it just assumed that everyone in this modern society knows how to at least piddle around on a computer (Solitaire > all)?

The first question is obvious to answer: it will connect everyone to an infinite-sized database. But then there's more to consider with this. Should there be e-mail? Should characters be able to host their own websites (which would be interesting, considering this is all-text)? Pr0n?

Yeah, I'm going too in-depth with it, I know. And most of it is just for shits and giggles, mostly because I have nothing to do while I drain experience. But the idea of an in-game internet seems really neat. I just want it to be functional.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Okay, more ideas about droids interfacing with the internet...or rather....with the network Nova might be running off of. Perhaps there can even be computers for non-techs where they could access the Nova-net.

Anyhow, here's things that computers (or personal droid computers) could do:

1) Take the place of notebooks/stationary. Keeping a diary, a log, files on all the books available, writing email, or simply making notes to oneself could be done on the computer. Things could be downloaded onto discs and traded, plugged into computers or sent via 'snail mail' to other people. You could buy more chips to upgrade the memory to hold more files. You could do a 'search' to find a particular file...and finally...you could hack into someone else's files on their computer.

2) Linked with this.... Techs being able to interface directly with a computer via having a jack ala Shadowrun or Ghost in the Shell. Hacking could be done this way, or just an information search.

3) Bonuses. You could buy chips for a droid/computer to give bonuses to things like security, research, repair, electronics, medicine, alchemy, poisons...that sorta thing. This would be connected with interfacings that would utilize the chips.

4) Data hacking. Simply websearching, using the internet, sending email, would give you skill...kinda like foraging, only having to do with information.

5) Digital camera interfacing. Share the photos you take with everyone instead of having to print them out!

I'm sure there's gotta be a ton of ideas to go with this, like William's above.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I just want to be able to play Solitaire on my droid. And reversi. Oh man, reversi.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Those ideas aren't too bad, I'm just wondering where the practicality of some of them lies. Some do have good uses, but others seem merely fluff that would take an insane amount of time to make.

Hacking computers in order to funnel money into your bank accounts would be pretty cool, although that would have to wait until after the justice system is implemented, otherwise there'd be no consequenses, and no way to sick some HBI agents on you Wink

I haven't heard much about an internet on Hael, or this "Nova".. I think I'm a little behind in the times. Razz

Personal computers would be pretty easy to make, along with journals.. even password-protected computers would be easy. Maybe a good tech with a specialty droid could crack a password Wink
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Those ideas aren't too bad, I'm just wondering where the practicality of some of them lies. Some do have good uses, but others seem merely fluff that would take an insane amount of time to make.

Hacking computers in order to funnel money into your bank accounts would be pretty cool, although that would have to wait until after the justice system is implemented, otherwise there'd be no consequenses, and no way to sick some HBI agents on you Wink

I haven't heard much about an internet on Hael, or this "Nova".. I think I'm a little behind in the times. Razz

Personal computers would be pretty easy to make, along with journals.. even password-protected computers would be easy. Maybe a good tech with a specialty droid could crack a password Wink

Yeah, a lot of it would be fluff. But I'd rather use a computer then use paper. Type type type up messages.

Nova's the AI from the LACAD. It's the storyline going on in HR right now with the prince and Gawyn and Datastreams....heh. <3 I love it.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Best idea ever: virtual reality in Haelrahv. Essentially a video game inside of a video game.

Characters would step into a pod that conveniently cannot be destroyed or even attacked. It would also filter out all methods of communication with the outside world (comms, telepathy, et al). They would then be "uploaded" into this other game... which would basically be another game for us players to play.

And maybe this secondary game could totally be a rip on real-world fantasy games. But in a more in-character way. Haha, my wording rocks.

--William

PS: Yeah, joking.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject:

I do have ideas for something of the sort, William. Or at least some sort of hunting area based in something similar to a holo-deck. I'm just trying to figure out how to pull them off and keep things in-character.

As for Nova....I'm with Drake, I'm not sure how much of that would be feasible and would actually be done _well_. I mean, if you make a hael.net you need content, and the internet has an awful lot of content. I have some ideas that would make things interesting, but again....time/use/fluff are issues.

There are some things I want to do with Nova, but I'm working hard to keep her from conflicting with existing Haelrahv history...I'm awful about stepping somewhere with an RP event and forgetting to ask Morrigan if I'm treading in her department. Smile So we'll see where that goes.

I am all about in-game e-mails, and the like though.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
I do have ideas for something of the sort, William. Or at least some sort of hunting area based in something similar to a holo-deck. I'm just trying to figure out how to pull them off and keep things in-character.

As for Nova....I'm with Drake, I'm not sure how much of that would be feasible and would actually be done _well_. I mean, if you make a hael.net you need content, and the internet has an awful lot of content. I have some ideas that would make things interesting, but again....time/use/fluff are issues.

There are some things I want to do with Nova, but I'm working hard to keep her from conflicting with existing Haelrahv history...I'm awful about stepping somewhere with an RP event and forgetting to ask Morrigan if I'm treading in her department. Smile So we'll see where that goes.

I am all about in-game e-mails, and the like though.

Well, the internet didn't have a lot of content when it first started. People would post their own stuff on the internet in Haelrahv...like an IG message board and emails and maybe picture and file sharing. That's it. And, of course, Nova's information might be able to be accessed. The data flow would be strictly GM content. Like...being able to research library books online.

It's gotta be easier then flipping pages. Hehe.

Edit: Also, it would be really nice to do a 'search' of history and stuff....trying to find the information in the books is hard.
 Back to top »
Alexia Dymion

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Hm, the internet feature could simply be used similar to a message board even.

~smirks deviously~ It would be even sweeter if everyone could use these computers to access the board, but they'd have to get a technician to create the actual site.

What I mean by this is:

Say Guardian saw a website (message board?) that Agent made; Guardian became impressed and went to Technician to get her/him to make it. The higher the technician's research/electronics skill should govern how well made it is.

Hm, example: Technician A has 38 research skill and 24 electronics (Just an example) Technician A's website appears generic, might even be a preset template!

Technician B has 48 research and 35 elec, his website would seem almost elegant and artistic perhaps?

~shrug~

The message board would do exactly what the internet did in real life, so I guess making the technicians pay for the sites would be cool. The great part of this is that whom ever employed them would have to come up with the loot.... This may add more RP concidering the various circumstances that may arise.
 Back to top »
Alexia Dymion

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:

It would also be nice to be able to buy certain things like personal journals and such to install in your computer. Yet another thing technician's could be made to do.

Hm, what else could be useful? Ah! When you log into the 'net' it would be sweet to be able to buy from the tech shop and have your goods delivered to you by a drone/droid for about 10 or fifteen bucks more.

Information hacking? This idea would be sweet, give each computer a different IP address, and as it logs into the internet...With a certain level of research ability the technician may be able to hack it. If the IP address is too complex, just have the actual names of characters inscribed as the IP for simplicity.

And erm...Only people with certain amount of electronic's skill should be able to use computers... Like ten or fifteen or something.
 Back to top »
Alexia Dymion

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ONE other thing:

If a webdesigner/tech's research(security maybe?) level is low at the time he creates it, hackers of higher levels can easily distort another players site. Now if it's a clan/profession website it would be needed to have an older tech build it, you know....They'd need somewhere to store they're secrets/plans!

Well, maybe another idea:

Maybe you can register websites as: people/clans/professions for simplicity. So when I read my computer, it'll list them...Then I could ClICK whatever choice I wanted, the screen would then read all my choices listed below whatever I picked.

Examples:

Player Sites: (These could be for dossiers and such.)

Alexia's Pages
Aesic's Remedies
Blah Blah's Ramblings!

Clan Websites: (To store information and communicate outside of seeing each other)

Boogity Boo Trio
Dead Pan Triplets?

Professions: (For job offerings, or to simply SEND an e-mail that would make your laptop beep like a pager, or say You've GOT an E-mail from Aerumna that says: Yo' I need my eyes and comm fixed, I'm at the Enchanted Forest. Or do that via message board.)

Technician
Mercenary
Artisan
Agent
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Alexia Dymion wrote:

Professions: (For job offerings, or to simply SEND an e-mail that would make your laptop beep like a pager, or say You've GOT an E-mail from Aerumna that says: Yo' I need my eyes and comm fixed, I'm at the Enchanted Forest. Or do that via message board.)

That's what comms and telepathy is for. It'd be easier then sending an email. Emails and message boards would take the place of the post office and the boards IG.
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Well...post office would still be there for sending items. Unless laptop comps can come with a small transporter device. That would be rock awesome.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm reading this thread and getting interested just because I read Neuromancer a few weeks ago.

Mmmm... mirrored eyes and simtims.

I want to see a cyber-invasion of giant white spheres.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Brain storming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: