FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The New Woodworking System Changes - Spoiler + Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » The New Woodworking System Changes - Spoiler + Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: The New Woodworking System Changes - Spoiler + Requests

So I tried out the new carving stuff that Trevor released (no random price factors/blade damgae doesn't apply/etc). Here's what I noticed.

1) The new best thing to carve are hairbeads. Statuettes have moved to second place with figurines.
2) I can't repair my damaged blade. I don't fail at doing it, but after a few "Your blade dulls" messages, I'm still told it doesn't need repairs. Help?
3) The prices leave a lot to be desired. Heck, some items can't even be sold!
4) It's pretty easy to track what will sell for what (+/- $1) based on the price of the wood itself. If one block sells for $10 and makes a $25 item, and another block sells for $15, it's safe to assume that if you make the same item with the second block, it'll go for $30.
5) I'm not sure if a high level artisan can really make a fair amount of money just carving (compared to any other high-level character). I think hunting is notably more profitable at even Yaru's level.

Now, the prices/data!

silbein
vial - 61
bowl - NO VALUE
pipe - NO VALUE
ring - 60
pendant - 49
figurine - 83
amulet - 49
statuette - 83
plaque - 30
hairbeads - 87
mortar - NO VALUE
pestle - NO VALUE

haeleio
vial - 66
bowl - NO VALUE
pipe - NO VALUE
ring - 65
pendant - 55
figurine - 88
amulet - 55
statuette - 88
plaque - 35
hairbeads - 92
mortar - NO VALUE
pestle - NO VALUE

gaoun
vial - 76
bowl - NO VALUE
pipe - NO VALUE
ring - 75
pendant - 65
figurine - 98
amulet - 65
statuette - 98
plaque - 46
hairbeads - 102
mortar - NO VALUE
pestle - NO VALUE

saifbraelsh
vial - 71
bowl - NO VALUE
pipe - NO VALUE
ring - 70
pendant - 60
figurine - 93
amulet - 60
statuette - 93
plaque - 40
hairbeads - 97
mortar - NO VALUE
pestle - NO VALUE

aefafe
vial - 81
bowl - NO VALUE
pipe - NO VALUE
ring - 80
pendant - 70
figurine - 103
amulet - 70
statuette - 103
plaque - 51
hairbeads - 108
mortar - NO VALUE
pestle - NO VALUE

Charisma: 30 (42)
Coordination: 70 (82)
Mentality: 54 (60)
Perception: 40 (4Cool

Craftsmanship: 87 (104)

I was also using the masterfully crafted gaoun-handled carving knife. I'm not sure if it gives any carving bounses that I wouldn't just detect with sense.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject:

What are the creation times like? That is, from the moment you start to the moment you sell?

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
What are the creation times like? That is, from the moment you start to the moment you sell?

For an Artisan (not sure if they're longer for other people, I know it's like that for tailoring), each carve has a roundtime of 8-12 seconds. It takes three carves to finish a product. So overall it takes 24-36 seconds.

It doesn't seem like a long roundtime, but then again it takes me less time than that to kill a creature which can give a payoff of $1k+
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
2) I can't repair my damaged blade. I don't fail at doing it, but after a few "Your blade dulls" messages, I'm still told it doesn't need repairs. Help?

That's odd, I didn't adjust repair-related stuff at all. I'll make a note of it though. However, your repair skill is quite low versus your other skills.

Quote:
3) The prices leave a lot to be desired. Heck, some items can't even be sold!

I'll check into items that can't be sold.

Quote:
4) It's pretty easy to track what will sell for what (+/- $1) based on the price of the wood itself. If one block sells for $10 and makes a $25 item, and another block sells for $15, it's safe to assume that if you make the same item with the second block, it'll go for $30.

The value of the raw material is added in directly, so that you never end up with a loss (well, except these odd things you can't sell at all for some reason).

Quote:
It doesn't seem like a long roundtime, but then again it takes me less time than that to kill a creature which can give a payoff of $1k+

Now, now let's be fair about this. Firstly, hunting has some level of risk if you're gaining experience too. Secondly, hunting requires you to travel, and consider additional things like encumbrance, etc. Thirdly, while a creature can drop a valuable item, they certainly don't do it every time you kill one. Carving pays essentially the same thing every single time.

Using your numbers, we can assume a total carve time of 30 seconds. So if you make some aefafe hairbeads over and over, that's $12,960. Reasonable for an hour's work? I guess that's up to each person to decide. But you don't have many of the various concerns you'd have hunting. Since your skill augments prices a lot, you could be making well over $200 per item you make. At $200, that's $24,000 an hour. In less than two days (41 hours actually) of solid play you have a million credits.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Now, now let's be fair about this. Firstly, hunting has some level of risk if you're gaining experience too. Secondly, hunting requires you to travel, and consider additional things like encumbrance, etc. Thirdly, while a creature can drop a valuable item, they certainly don't do it every time you kill one. Carving pays essentially the same thing every single time.

I do know hunting has a bit more risk than woodcarving (no random splinter factor, please), but I also realize that it's a lot easier to make money by hunting.

I'm just concerned that when Yaru is level 100, if it would be worth more to carve and do other artisan-y things, or if he should just go hunt like everyone else.

Part of this, I suppose, is that carving used to get me $150-200 on average when making aefafe statuettes, and now I'm getting $100 on my best product (aefafe plaques). I do appreciate that the system is much more stable now, but I guess I'm also pining over the fact that it isn't benefitting me as much as it was before.

As for the repair skill stuff, I know it's not an amazing level of repair, so I wouldn't complain if it was an issue where I kept messing up repairing my carving knife, but this is more an issue where I'm being told it dulls yet getting the message that it doesn't need to be repaired at all. So I'm wondering if it is getting damaged or not.
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:

dregs a tracker but still cant fletch a bolt or arrow. what skills is she lacking and what skill amount does she need to make even the flimsiest of bolts/arrows?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ragonda wrote:
dregs a tracker but still cant fletch a bolt or arrow. what skills is she lacking and what skill amount does she need to make even the flimsiest of bolts/arrows?

As an Artisan, Yaru can only fletch gaoun arrows. All the other woods are too hard to work with.

Try a gaoun stick! Smile
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Part of this, I suppose, is that carving used to get me $150-200 on average when making aefafe statuettes, and now I'm getting $100 on my best product (aefafe plaques). I do appreciate that the system is much more stable now, but I guess I'm also pining over the fact that it isn't benefitting me as much as it was before.

At the high end of your scale, you'll be able to make $200 or more on many items. It's just that carving is much more scaled to skill now, and you're at the 50% mark on skill, roughly.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject:

Another thing I noticed.

There isn't much of a profit in using a harder wood compared to an easier one (price-wise).

Silbein blocks sell for $20. The hairbeads sell back for $87, making the profit $67

Aefafe blocks sell for $40. The hairbeads sell back for $108, making th profit $68.

So I'm not sure why using the hardest wood available gives results that aren't that different, reward-wise, than sticking to the easy wood.

And this is also starting to worry me:

Your knife looks a bit dull.
You begin cutting an aefafe block into small pieces, forming some hairbeads.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

You get an asapi-shaped rock shard from a battered shoulder-worn denim schoolbag.

This doesn't need repairs.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject:

Oh, and just so I don't just give a barrage of bitching...

It may just be the -5 exp penalty, but I'm really glad that I can keep my mind pool full by whittling. Thank you. Smile
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject:

Just a couple comments here...

Quote:

Has your knife been upgraded to add quality? That could be effecting it. Artisans do get reduced damage to their crafting tools, so it could be that the damage is so minimal that it's really not damaged enough to need repair.

Also, I just wanted to add that when Hunter and I first developed woodworking, we never intended that whittling be the money maker of the system. It was just the way for you to get an object ready for detailing and detailing is where you get the higher profits. On that note, I do still need to change a few things with it and tweak it to reflect the recent changes Trevor made. I wasn't planning to do until the exp change, but I might be able to get to it sooner. Very Happy

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Your knife looks a bit dull.
You begin cutting an aefafe block into small pieces, forming some hairbeads.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

You get an asapi-shaped rock shard from a battered shoulder-worn denim schoolbag.

This doesn't need repairs.

The raffle knives have really high durability... way higher than normal. So you can't repair it because it's still above the normal max. When it does eventually fall below the max, you'll be able to repair it to that level (but not to its former super-max).

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The raffle knives have really high durability... way higher than normal. So you can't repair it because it's still above the normal max.

Yeah, Faith explained this to me yesterday.

I normally don't get concerned over things like this, but I didn't want to completely ruin my knife since it is a special one.

Quote:
Also, I just wanted to add that when Hunter and I first developed woodworking, we never intended that whittling be the money maker of the system. It was just the way for you to get an object ready for detailing and detailing is where you get the higher profits.

Because it takes 30 seconds to make an object, yet it can sometimes take 2 minutes to finish the detail, it's just more profitable, speed wise, to just sell it right at completion.
HR-Valla

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Fletching takes your archery and craftsmanship skills into account,and it also doesn't hurt to have a few smarts (i.e. intellect). Wink

If you are injured and are trying to fletch, it could throw your ability, or in some cases make it damn near impossible.

Valla
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Fletching takes your archery and craftsmanship skills into account,and it also doesn't hurt to have a few smarts (i.e. intellect).

If you are injured and are trying to fletch, it could throw your ability, or in some cases make it damn near impossible.

Valla

Same with bowmaking too?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » The New Woodworking System Changes - Spoiler + Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: