FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » The Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject:

What drives me nuts is the mentality of politics in the modern day. Politics has always been... well politics. However, when we can't debate about the future of the country unless we can agree on things like what kind of paper should be allowed for note taking, we're in a hell of a spot.

Maybe someone thought there was a papercut threat to national security.

Then we wanted to try to control the media in the whole thing and how they could take camera shots. Seriously, what the hell is going on in this country? All the important issues we need to be working on and we actually have candidates who have the balls to say, "Hey this is important to debate but I'm not even going to show up if you don't have the right kind of paper for notes. And watch that camera buddy, no fat angles."

Anyway: The debate. It actually served as a catalyst to remind me what I dislike about GWB. He's simple-minded. George decides that XYZ is bad or good, for little logical reason and more supposed black and white ideaological reason. At that point, there is no stopping him from completing whatever crusade/mission/whatever you'd like to call it, that he has fixed upon.

I'm convinced that if this were the Medieval Age and GWB were King of the greatest power known to mankind, he'd have the place razed down to ashes in no time. All it would take is one sneaky opponent to convince him that some other guy was a serious threat, GWB would launch a crusade against them, and the sneaky guy and whomever else would obliterate us all.

The man thinks with the logic of a pet rock. You can talk about flip flops as long as you want, but at least Kerry actually thinks about his decisions and the problems rather than jumps on gut feeling and then becomes unwavering and unstoppable whether the course is right or not.

This is the point where I also mention I was a die-hard GWB supporter in the 2000 election. And I'm in Florida too. Ouch.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/politics/main646711.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/opinion/polls/main646712.shtml

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject:

That's something else that drives me nuts. You're not going to have "experts" saying either side won unless that "expert" was partisan in their public comments before the debate, basically. Heaven forbid we actually take a stance. But that's how politics has always worked.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject:

About two hours before the debate had started, MSNBC was reporting that Bush had already won. Isn't that swell?

Oh, and has anyone been able to find a transcript of the debate yet? I want to find the part where Bush corrected Kerry with the fact that Poland helped with the invasion. That was one of the funniest parts, in my opinion.

That, and when Kerry said... I think it went... "President Bush invading Iraq in relation to 9/11 would have been like Roosevelt invading Mexico in relation to Pearl Harbor." Best relation, ever.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/30/debate.transcript.1/index.html

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Trevor.

Oh, and here's a quote from it. I totally missed through while viewing, though. I must have been in the middle of my burrito.

Quote:
LEHRER: New question, two minutes, Senator Kerry.

"Colossal misjudgments." What colossal misjudgments, in your opinion, has President Bush made in these areas?

KERRY: Well, where do you want me to begin?

First of all, he made the misjudgment of saying to America that he was going to build a true alliance, that he would exhaust the remedies of the United Nations and go through the inspections.

In fact, he first didn't even want to do that. And it wasn't until former Secretary of State Jim Baker and General Scowcroft and others pushed publicly and said you've got to go to the U.N., that the president finally changed his mind -- his campaign has a word for that -- and went to the United Nations.

Pwned?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
That, and when Kerry said... I think it went... "President Bush invading Iraq in relation to 9/11 would have been like Roosevelt invading Mexico in relation to Pearl Harbor." Best relation, ever.

First, those weren't his words. He was just quoting someone else. Second, it's a rather ludicrous analogy since Mexico wasn't hostile to us at the time.

And Kerry was hardly without his slipups. When he referred to Islamic Muslims... is there any other type?

Not that I'm a die-hard Bush supporter, but I just came to really dislike Kerry from the four years I spent living in Massachusetts.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I noticed that and got a little chuckle.

Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject:

What I liked was when Kerry was talking about the war, he said he would win the war on Islam.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of flip-flops, here's an entertaining scenario that the U.S. in general seems to overlook --

1992:
Republicans, on behalf of George Bush Sr: Bill Clinton smoked pot in college. We can prove it!
Republican Voters: What?!? BURN HIM! BURN HIM ALIVE!

2004:
Democrats: George W Bush was a cokehead drunk in college. We can prove it.
Republican Voters: SO?!? What does his past have to do with his presidency now?!?

-------------------------------

1992:
Republicans, on behalf of George Bush Sr: Bill Clinton dodged the draft! Do you really want a president that wouldn't go to war for his country?
Republican Voters: KILL! KILL BILL CLINTON THE DESERTER!

2004:
Democrats: So, uh, George W Bush abandoned his company. And got a deferral from the Vietnam War. Patriotic, eh? At least John Kerry served.

Republican Voters: Who cares? Why is the Vietnam War so important now?

Good times, good times. It's interesting to see when what's "important" when.

Incidentally, you're conveniently forgetting that Iraq wasn't hostile to us before we attacked, either. And if you're thinking of playing the WTC Attack card, let me remind you that the terrorists were Sauds, not Iraqis.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What I liked was when Kerry was talking about the war, he said he would win the war on Islam.

Could you point me to which page in the transcript this occurs? So far as I see, the only mention of "Islam" was the following:

"And I believe that a fresh start, new credibility, a president who can understand what we have to do to reach out to the Muslim world to make it clear that this is not, you know -- Osama bin Laden uses the invasion of Iraq in order to go out to people and say that America has declared war on Islam."

Which says Osama bin Laden is trying to make people believe we have declared a war on Islam, not that we have or that Kerry supports one.

Now, if you wanted to put spin on this like various politicians and media do, you could conveniently exclude parts of what was said for "effect".

And I believe that a fresh start, new credibility, a president who can understand what we have to do to reach out to the Muslim world to make it clear that this is not, you know -- Osama bin Laden uses the invasion of Iraq in order to go out to people and say that America has declared war on Islam.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:

For whenever anyone has an hour and a half worth of freetime:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/politics/093004-15v.htm

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:

http://www.theonion.com/infograph/index.php?issue=4040

HR-Mickey wrote:
Incidentally, you're conveniently forgetting that Iraq wasn't hostile to us before we attacked, either. And if you're thinking of playing the WTC Attack card, let me remind you that the terrorists were Sauds, not Iraqis.

They weren't hostile? I suppose all those weapons they were working on (or at least thought they were) were for self-defense.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
They weren't hostile? I suppose all those weapons they were working on (or at least thought they were) were for self-defense.

Hostility via imaginary weapons? We're past elementary school cowboys-and-indians cops-and-robbers stuff here, and you can do better than that.

If I'm going to be afraid of someone hurting the U.S., it's going to be a country with real firepower; not a decade-sanctioned country that lacks the cohesive military power to even get their obsolete planes off the ground, and that assumes that it was a country intent on specifically harming us in the first place.

Unless you mean ill will in general; but if that's the case, that effectively means that about 98% of the world is out to get us.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » The Debate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: