FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat and stats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat and stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Combat and stats

Alright, so I've been trying to figure out why Dante sucks so much at combat and has to hunt several levels lower than where he should be, and the reasons I've come up with are this:

- I max my defenses, but I don't max my weapon. I use powers to remedy that.
- With the exception of agility (much lower), Strength and Mentality (both much higher), I try and keep my stats pretty much equal since Dante uses magic AND psionics.
- Psionics can't triple train any defenses

Seeing as the third one will be a non-issue after the experience change, I think the primary reason I'm having to underhunt is because of the second one.

Since I use shield as my main defense and don't use any sort of ranged attack, agility serves no purpose to me except to help with my balance. I'm most interested in how equaling out my perception, coordination, and strength would effect me. How are others doing in combat who have done that faring?
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Strength would increase the amount of damage you do per hit. Which would reduce the overall amount of time you have to spend per creature. Agility, I think, reduces RT slightly... but I could be wrong. I don't worry about RTs too much since I just spam my awesome one-second spearhands (and two-second hiptosses) until the thing is dead. But yeah, strength will pimp your attack damage. But you said your strength is fairly high as it is, so this probably isn't the issue.

Perception and Coordination both factor into how frequently you'll actually hit... and I think they also factor into the damage, too (I haven't checked the spiff News item in awhile).

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know everything about using shields.. let alone the ins-and-outs of combat itself. Right now, I'm thinking your major problem is that you can't triple train defense skills. I'm assuming that you're primarily underhunting because things on-level with you pretty much assrape your HP rather than not being able to actually hit. And you won't have to worry about that with the new experience system. Wootness.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Actually, things on level with me, and slightly under, I have problems hitting unless I blind them. I think that's more because my weapon isn't triple trained like most serious hunters do, though. Infact, I can't seem to survive where I should be AT ALL unless I'm doped up with every stat potion and all my buff powers.

But I can shield bash now! So after blinding them I do that. Assuming my potions haven't worn off and there aren't 6 things attacking me, that seems to help a bit. But it all seems to hinge on the potions, none the less, which means my stats are off for hunting where I should be at.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, there really is nothing wrong with hunting below your level. I mean, your experience rewarded from hunting is based on your skills vs. their skills. The only thing that suffers is the treasure, but greed is a vice for a reason. Heh.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Just remember, your level is not the same as your combat skill level, and the critter level should relate to the latter, not the former.

A critter's combat skills are 2.7 * the level of the critter. So if you are a level 50 psionic and you have 100 in evasion/shield/whatever, you should not be fighting a level 50 critter, because it would have 125ish in combats.

Then again, I probably hunt in the most deviant of ways. I hunt where Yaru can't get hit. Because getting hit means I die in one or two attacks. I play Haelrahv like old-school Contra.
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Soundless wrote:
I play Haelrahv like old-school Contra

You get the spreadshot gun and move while keeping the fire button on rapid fire?
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Soundless wrote:

You get the spreadshot gun and move while keeping the fire button on rapid fire?

I think he means he types Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start before logging in.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Soundless wrote:

I knew I had an assault rifle for a reason!
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think he means he types Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start before logging in.

Na, you have to be logged in. And the spaces don't work so well.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Dante: To respond to your original question...

Your stats look pretty good to me. Although one should not neglect agility for some reasons. One, it affects balance. Balance is important. If you find yourself off balance, you should back out of the fight if you are getting the smackdown, and regather.

Agility also augments evasion, and some attacks may only be evaded. However, most attacks, and you're aware, can be shield blocked. In fact, since you didn't mention PvP, almost all attacks you're concerned about can be blocked, which is good.

My advice, since you use shield: Train strength more. Oh, it's high as is, but you can train it easy and it buffs up your shield defense. You could train coordination but it's costly and perception provide less defensive returns.

It looks like you have a normal level of encumbrance. However, you could reduce that to a meager level of it with more strength, so there's another bonus.

And obviously, use your powers to their fullest. I think the skill change stuff + new powers coming out with that will help a lot.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, not to be mean to you, Dante, but I did find it sorta amusing that you were against using your buffs.

I mean, you're a psycic, man, you should use your abilities to function at a peak level.

Heck, I'm surprised you don't use your psionic attack spells. Or at least I gathered that you prefer to just use tangible weapons.
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Oh I don't just throw my powers by the wayside, by all means. I use them every chance I get. But when they and the potions start wearing off, I have to high tail it to safety or I die, unless I'm hunting something 8 levels below me that couldn't even hit me if I was lying down. That tells me that I'm training wrong in someway to hunt comparable to where "should be".

And yes, part of it is about money. I love my material possessions after all. Twisted Evil

But thank you Trevor and everyone. I think I just have to suck it up until the experience change, since I have Dante's skills and things spread out quite a bit as it stands.
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:

<--- Just sucks at hunting overall. For various reasons. The only reason I hunt is to get money for languages. When I get my languages, I can go back to lazing around CC.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject:

tygerwulf wrote:
<--- Just sucks at hunting overall. For various reasons. The only reason I hunt is to get money for languages. When I get my languages, I can go back to lazing around CC.

Could one of those reasons be...you probably shouldn't be able to move with the amount of stuff you are wearing/carrying? Laughing

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Somehow, I usually stay minimally encumbered.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat and stats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: