FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
tracking devices
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » tracking devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: tracking devices

I can't take full credit. Xavain gave me the idea. Tracking devices!
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject:

Elaborate?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Elaborate?

--William

Make a tracking device, stick it onto someone or something, track it.

Not a difficult concept. In fact, it's rather explanitory.

Also, it's just an idea. I know nothing of code. And therefore, I don't know how to propose an idea for how it would work. It's merely and idea for Drake to think about.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject:

Yes, it was fairly self-explanitory what you were asking for. What I asking for was for a more elaborated proposal. Such as...

Will people know they have a tracking device on them? Can they be woven into materials for tailoring? Can people remove them on their own accord, or do they need to find a Tech to do it? How many active devices should a Tech be able to have out at one time? Would the number increase with skill and/or level? Will better devices -- increased signal strength and range, lighter weight, more easily disguised -- be available with higher skill and/or level? Will there be separate devices that are used to pick up the signals from the tracking devices? If so, would there be different models with differing abilities (longer "pick-up range" is the only thing I can think of right now)? Would the whole system be skill-based or level-based? If skill-based, should it be Technician-only or open to everyone, with Technicians gaining a more than significant bonus to it? Also, if skill-based and open to everyone, should certain models of both device types be Technician-only?

Even though you know nothing of code, it never hurts to elaborate on a suggestion. It gives the Counselors more of an idea of what you want, not to mention cuts down on the development time since they won't have to think up all of the dynamics themselves. Plus, it gives the rest of us something to discuss.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Yes, it was fairly self-explanitory what you were asking for. What I asking for was for a more elaborated proposal. Such as...

Will people know they have a tracking device on them? Can they be woven into materials for tailoring? Can people remove them on their own accord, or do they need to find a Tech to do it? How many active devices should a Tech be able to have out at one time? Would the number increase with skill and/or level? Will better devices -- increased signal strength and range, lighter weight, more easily disguised -- be available with higher skill and/or level? Will there be separate devices that are used to pick up the signals from the tracking devices? If so, would there be different models with differing abilities (longer "pick-up range" is the only thing I can think of right now)? Would the whole system be skill-based or level-based? If skill-based, should it be Technician-only or open to everyone, with Technicians gaining a more than significant bonus to it? Also, if skill-based and open to everyone, should certain models of both device types be Technician-only?

Even though you know nothing of code, it never hurts to elaborate on a suggestion. It gives the Counselors more of an idea of what you want, not to mention cuts down on the development time since they won't have to think up all of the dynamics themselves. Plus, it gives the rest of us something to discuss.

--William

I'd rather leave that stuff up to the developers and the coders. I want to be able to make a tracking device and use it myself or sell it off to people that would want it.

I think half the fun of being a developer is thinking of the dynamics yourself.
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject:

Pretty cool idea.. But, what would the need for something like this be?

I'm not seeing it as being anything more than a nuisance-causer right now. Wink
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject:

This would also negate the purpose of locate abilities.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
This would also negate the purpose of locate abilities.

I don't think it would if you made it tech/agent/merc only. Or gave it a range. I don't know about yours...but my character is completely lacking the will to learn any sort of magic. There should be alternatives to magic and psionics.

You would need to hold the tracking device in your hands after planing the tracker on someone. And then the tracker device would only tell you which way they are according to a compas.

In a way, it's more useful then locating. This will tell you how to get to them.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Pretty cool idea.. But, what would the need for something like this be?

I'm not seeing it as being anything more than a nuisance-causer right now. Wink

I want to be able to locate people without using nasty magic. Also, I want to be able to put together/repair something other then comms. I would also really love for medic equiptment to break down on occasion so that I can fix that too.
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:

Something like this is already planned for Mercs when the contract system rolls out, to help keep the bad peoples from fleeing their Merc-death by running and hiding.

Of course, that's not saying technicians couldn't create/use them as well, though they'd have less of a need.[/quote]

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject:

Hooray for us!
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject:

HR-Marduk wrote:
Something like this is already planned for Mercs when the contract system rolls out, to help keep the bad peoples from fleeing their Merc-death by running and hiding.

Of course, that's not saying technicians couldn't create/use them as well, though they'd have less of a need.
[/quote]

I don't see having what techs 'need' to be the cause for our want to make stuff. I don't use medic gear, but I wanna be able to make it and repair it. I don't really need to track people, but I wanna be able to make um and repair um.

Break up the monotony of repairing just one thing. Hm...what else could we make/repair...?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Break up the monotony of repairing just one thing. Hm...what else could we make/repair...?

While I see Artisans as the repairmen for melee weapons, old-school and pulse guns should definitely be fixed by Techs. Moving parts, and such!
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:

While I see Artisans as the repairmen for melee weapons, old-school and pulse guns should definitely be fixed by Techs. Moving parts, and such!

oh definately. i don't want to work on blades unless they have wiring and gears and stuff like that. Artisans could do engravings too.
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject:

I have no problem with giving you guys stuff to make/repair, but whatever gets made should serve some kind of purpose.. and not clash with special abilities that other professions have. Wink

If you're just looking for stuff to make/repair, you're gonna get a slew of stuff at some point. Wink More info about that when I hold a Tech meeting.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » tracking devices
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: