Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Instruments
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Instruments

Im sure this has been brought up before, but will there ever be a way to 'play' instruments just for the sake of playing them and not just to perform a spellsong? Maybe have a few different levels of messaging to show skill level with each type of instrument like other things(FLEX and all the acrobatics come to mind).
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Instruments

Tugor wrote:
Im sure this has been brought up before, but will there ever be a way to 'play' instruments just for the sake of playing them and not just to perform a spellsong? Maybe have a few different levels of messaging to show skill level with each type of instrument like other things(FLEX and all the acrobatics come to mind).

The thing about those messages is anyone can easily reproduce even the best one with just an ACT. I'm not saying they're bad, but I wouldn't totally depend on them to represent someone's skill.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject:

There are a large handful of eclectic instruments floating around with different PLAY verbs (and a hupahov, whice uses SQUEEZE), but that's obviously not the exhaustive pile of instruments.

By and large, a big reason instruments don't have custom playing verbs (aside from my tendency to get sidetracked by projects and fixes I ultimately prioritize over fluff verbs) is that of option A) Give each instrument its own play verb, and B) Genericize playing messages... I'd A) Have to come up with messages for racial instruments that have been conceived indigenously for the game (how does it look/sound to play a sewoxix or domajojan?), or B) Demean/undervalue/do-no-justice-to the heart and soul items of the Performer profession with vanilla '(name) plays (instrument) (adjectively)ly. You think it sounds (adjective.)'

This isn't a pooh-pooh, mind you. I've liked the idea since as far back as my inception as guru (not long after which I did a play verb for a raffle ruhfa), but I'll have to come up with a good approach.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'm a big, dumb animal and somehow managed to wipe out soundless' post, concerning the horrible RP form it is to ACT out skill messages to mislead people.

And, uh, I agree.

And apologize.

And some other stuff.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shalpa

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
I'd A) Have to come up with messages for racial instruments that have been conceived indigenously for the game (how does it look/sound to play a sewoxix or domajojan?)

You could hold a contest and ask the players to come up with the messaging for various instruments, then pick what you think is best. Might save you some time/trouble.

"What happens if I..."

***BBZZZZZTTT!!!***

"...Oh."
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Instruments
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: