FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Something is Definitely Odd (in my mind) with Whittling
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Something is Definitely Odd (in my mind) with Whittling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Something is Definitely Odd (in my mind) with Whittling

Okay.

When I was level 12, I was selling aefafe statuettes for $150-225.

I had:

5 charisma
25 mentality
35 coordination
36 (43?) craftsmanship

Now I have:

16 (26) charisma
40 (45) mentality
40 (51) coordination
60 (72) craftsmanship

Why are my aefafe statuettes going for $75-$150 now? I'm level 21 and doing worse. Of the few dozen I've whittled so far, only one broke $150.

I'm convinced each wood type has a sweet spot, where you do 'perfectly' on them. Once you pass that point, your value starts to degrade again or something. I can't see how I'm making less money than before with this. Not only has my skill gone up, but my charisma has, too. A 20 point increase should at least have did something to keep my statuette values from dropping.
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I tested this and it does exactly what you say, but I looked through the code for quite a while and it makes no sense that it should do that. I'll keep trying to figure it out.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Whew, so I'm not batshit insane. Awesome. Smile

Thanks for the reply.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject:

Okay, a bit more experimenting leads me to believe that the process is circular.

You don't just go from bad to good to bad again, but you shoot back up to good after awhile, too.

It's also independent for each wood.

I do GREAT when whittling haeleio (average of $125 profit) statuettes, yet I actually LOSE money when doing gaoun statuettes sometimes. Silbein sells poorly, while saifebraelsh, grom-wood and aefafe are giving so-so.

Since the difficulty level is (I think):
silbein
gaoun
haeleio
saifebraelsh
aefafe
jalumin
grom-wood

I'm betting that after I level another time or so, the price of haeleio will start to fall and I'll start having the price for saifebraelsh rise to it's cap. After that, I'll be back to aefafe.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Another amusing note:

Since a damaged/dulled knife lowers your craftsmanship ability (or final score for what you make, whatever), if I dull my knife once or twice while carving,it actually pushes me CLOSER to the cap of what i'm carving sometimes (haeleio for now), and makes the value INCREASE.

It's amusing. Wink
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject:

Actually I made a minor tweak in the code to see if it made the difference. So the difference you see now aren't really valid differences. Keep an eye though as you progress and see if it continues to go down from now as you get better.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject:

HR-Hunter wrote:
Actually I made a minor tweak in the code to see if it made the difference. So the difference you see now aren't really valid differences. Keep an eye though as you progress and see if it continues to go down from now as you get better.

That explains the price drop I had today, I guess, heh. The knife thing was from this morning and a night or two before that.

I'll do some carving tests tonight to see how the prices are.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject:

Still going on this stuff:

16 (26) charisma
40 (45) mentality
40 (51) coordination
60 (72) craftsmanship
Using a "blackened metal knife with a serrated blade.

I'm assuming all that was done was a fix to whatever was making things wonky, and not a change in what sells best (statuettes) and there was no purposeful change of anything else.

silbein ($20 blocks):
$61, $73, $73, $79, $109, $82, $115, $45, $33, $24, $61, $76, $48, $97, $112, $91, $125, $85, $122, $79.
Range: $25-125
Average: $80
Average Profit: $60

haeleio ($25 blocks):
$97, $137, $131, $84, $109, $198, $122, $165, $186, $115, $146, $134, $153, $183, $165, $156, $143, $125, $109, $204.
Range: $85-205
Average: $140
Average Profit: $115

gaoun ($35 blocks):
$70, $61, $76, $97, $61, $33, $97, $39, $118, $33 (ouch, TWICE!), $122, $70, $85, $94, $118, $106, $109, $97, $64, $51.
Range: $35-120
Average: $80
Average Profit: $45

saifbraelsh ($30 blocks):
$54, $115, $146, $143, $79, $143, $106, $149, $118, $64, $103, $118, $143, $91, $146, $78, $174, $128, $162, $162.
Range: $55-160
Average: $120
Average Profit: $90

aefafe ($40 blocks):
$186, $153, $153, $125, $64, $149, $94, $165, $125, $131, $122, $125, $153, $125, $94, $165, $112, $109, $125, $93.
Range: $65-165
Average: $130
Average Profit: $90

Final thoughts: Haeleio seems to be the best bet. This is odd, since I think it's the third hardest material to carve available at the store (I think), and the second cheapest. Now, this may be because with the new changes, I shouldn't be up to the level of saifbraelsh and aefafe. But I don't know if this is the case, because I'm surprised I'm still carving finely-carved statuettes of those two woods if that is the case.

I guess the next thing I'd like are are wider variety of adjectives that we'd get on carved materials.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject:

More experimenting:

pre-damaged knife: haeleio statuettes selling for 125-200 on average.
with a damaged knife: haeleio statuette selling for 200-300 on average.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject:

I've removed the blade damage factor from the value of whittled objects, as well as a random factor. The values are now based on the type of item being made, and its difficulty for you (including wood mods) as well as your overall skill.

I also increased experience grants.

Also, carve and whittle will now default to blocks in hand over blocks on the floor and stuff.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I've removed the blade damage factor from the value of whittled objects, as well as a random factor. The values are now based on the type of item being made, and its difficulty for you (including wood mods) as well as your overall skill.

I also increased experience grants.

Also, carve and whittle will now default to blocks in hand over blocks on the floor and stuff.

Thanks. I'll try to test stuff out tonight/tomorrow night and give the data results. Smile
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Something is Definitely Odd (in my mind) with Whittling
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: