FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Brokering and commision/tipping.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Brokering and commision/tipping.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

You ask a bureaucrat to broker for you and--
A bureaucrat agrees to broker 1000 units for $12000. In return for brokering they will keep $2000. Do you agree to this? (please type yes or no)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A bureaucrat agrees to broker 1000 units for $12000. If you would like to place a tip please enter a percentage now. (please type a number between 0 and 100- (say person entered 10)) You are considering paying a bureaucrat $1200 for their services. Yes/No
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Leave the system as it is. I don't want any reminders about tipping.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
think there should be one more step for the broker where they can see how much is GOING to be brokered and for how much, so that:
A) they can ask for a payment up front if they want to be paid for that amount of units sold. AND/OR
B) warn the customer that the market has crashed, because some people keep forgetting to check the ticker

I totally agree with this, I also would like to have it be that the customer has an option..... Kelasa agrees to broker 1500 units for 11000, is that acceptable. YES or NO
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject:

winddancer wrote:
<snip lots of stuff that sounds REALLY familiar>

Belethe

I can totally feel for you in this respect and I'm completely behind you in your choices. One of my former DR characters was a Crossing Empath, and they had much the same issues arise when it came to tips.

I don't think there should be a forced payment for this, but making a mandantory fee is also not a very good option. Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to see how much extra the Bureaucrat is getting us, so we can tip accordingly and both broker and customer can still come out ahead.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Imagine what a Bureaucrat getting some skill training out of this would do to the argument...
</evil>

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I like the way the brokering system is set up for the most part, except for a few minor issues that I feel should be changed as I mentioned already in the previous post. Smile

I definitely don't believe in having a system-forced tipping system, because I believe it's the right of a player to make their own choices in this. (And it makes for fun RP!)

I do support the right of people to choose to charge if they wish, without being harassed or sneered at for it, and a person's right to expect adequate payment for their services. Just as we all have the right to refuse to use said service if we are not willing to pay the price.

If Belethe wasn't the kind of person she is, I would probably have made it a payment service thing. But one, math is evil, and two, there are some players (not the characters) who tend to get snarky when a character actually *gasps* reads out a price list for services to be rendered. I just don't have the time or energy to waste on those people who think brokering/healing/teching services MUST be given freely, or that we shouldn't EXPECT payment and be grateful for tips.

and finally, three: I like most of Belethe's customers. They're funny, friendly and cool-type characters that make Belethe's day enjoyable. So I don't really feel like insisting on payment. Though Belethe will make little guilt-inducing comments to some people if they continually not give her something for no reason. Wink

A lot of people don't seem to realize that, at least with commodities and not potions, ....although Trevor was saying that commodities should working like potions too...err..where was I...?

I think what people don't seem to realize is that the bonus they are getting is not just the Broker bonus.

Brokers are getting people exactly the same price for each bundle when they broker for the people. If people sold their own bundles, each bundle thereafter would be worth less. So what brokers are getting you is the bonus AND the money you would have lost had you sold your many bundles yourself.

E.g. When we sell 10,000 units of sirolei for $110,000, the extra money you're getting is not $10,000. You're getting as a benefit the broker bonus PLUS whatever you would have lost had you sold the sirolei bundles yourself. Say, for example, that each bundle sold drops the price by 2%...imagine what you would have lost without a broker.

How much time and money would have been wasted if you had chosen to sell the items yourself?

YOUR profit from brokering is much more than $10,000, so giving your broker the "extra" broker bonus money is not really asking a lot when you think about it.

Belethe's a much nicer person than I am...so she's happy to help people. *G*

As a character, I don't demand payment from people when I broker for them, because I see brokering as a way to nudge people to donate to her (shady) charity fund. Smile

Belethe's real work lies in lawyering and (hopefully) other fun stuff. (I can't wait for the fun stuff!!)

I suspect though, that the issue of tipping and payments will be a bitter one down the line...

Something about players and the tight fist they have over their money.... *tsk* *ducks and grins* Razz

Bell's player.

p.s. No, I never played an empath as a primary in DR.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Say, for example, that each bundle sold drops the price by 2%...imagine what you would have lost without a broker.

I don't know if charisma changes anything (because I have looooow charisma), but it drops by like, 10% for me with each bundle. You should give yourself more credit *grins*.
 Back to top »
winddancer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Imagine what a Bureaucrat getting some skill training out of this would do to the argument...
</evil>

*blinks* I'm confused. Which argument? Mine or someone else's? If it's mine, I don't see how it makes a difference on whether we should expect payment or not.

How is it different from someone getting skill training from foraging? Or from shooting chiths? or Potion making? Given all these activities should be getting skill training, they don't need money from their hard work? By the same coin, all they need is experience, they can just dump the forageables.

Why is one profession's activity expected to be altruistic but others are not?

Of course, I could have misunderstood you. Smile If so, no worries then.

If I'm supposed to gain skill training from brokering, it's not going to make a difference. I'd rather be a lawyer and persuade my judge, than broker.

The Turnip dude wrote:
I don't know if charisma changes anything (because I have looooow charisma), but it drops by like, 10% for me with each bundle. You should give yourself more credit *grins*.

Math is evil. I never bothered to count the market drop. Smile

On the other hand, I feel that crashing the market is entirely too easy (there should be more time and considerably more effort to crash it to such a low value) and expect that will be dealt with in the future.

Belethe
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Gah, no, you misunderstood. The argument = the debate over tipping or not tipping, whether it should be expected or not, etc, as a *community* issue, not a debate between a specific player and another.

In other words, one side would have a new "case" for no tipping or not being expected to at least, while others would say skill gain has no effect on the issue.

To use the DR thing, look at empaths and them gaining transference. "Why should I tip you, you NEED me to level!" etc.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Overall, in this beta, people don't do things for money. Artisans craft for free, bureaucrats broker for free, medics heal for free, so on.

I suppose that's true. But it takes time to change people's expectations. So if I think it's not how things should work (which I do) especially in Live, then I have to start now.

HR-Trevor wrote:
While I think tipping is something people should do, for services rendered, I don't see every service you can think of having this "tip reminder" which gives Bureaucrats what is, in my opinion, an unfair advantage or perk.

I'm curious as to why you think that (the latter part).

winddancer wrote:
It peeves me that people think THEY're the ones doing me some sort of favor and that tipping is something I should be grovelling in gratitude to get.

I agree with that. I'd say 'completely' except I don't think anyone expects us to grovel.

Josie Laurens wrote:
since i've played both a crat and a non-crat i spose i can see both sides of the situation here. However, I do not feel like a crat should have a fee taken out of the persons items for brokering it. If that happens your gonna see ALOT of market crashes because I for one won't broker *shrug* I know how much exp you get brokering and from my own experience, usually a full mortar or two fills the mind up. I know some crats HATE tips and even hunt you down if you give them money *grunts at Erekai* I always tip, its just something I do. But dont force me to give you my money or I just wont do it. I guess I'm stubborn that way.

I don't do it for the exp. I can fill up my mind in 5-10 minutes foraging. Plus brokering gives enough exp that usually most of it is wasted by overfilling my pool (not that I'm advocating it should be lessened since some other Bureaucrats might depend on it).

I definitely don't do it to save the market. 99% of the time I couldn't care less what the market looks like. Crashing the market is going to hurt you (and the seemingly large number of people who depend on foraging for income) a lot more than it will hurt me.

Do I do it for the money? Well, yes and no. I don't need and wouldn't depend on the money. But I don't think my character would/should just work for tips, and my perception of the profession would extend that to Bureaucrats in general (although certainly people are going to argue with that at least on an individual basis).

You'd never be forced into giving anyone money. It's voluntary on your part whether or not to broker with someone who is requesting a fee. Currently my selling bonus is 28%. If I were to take up brokering for the public, I'd probably announce a 10% charge up front. That would still leave you with more money than if you had brokered with anyone else except Kelasa. If having to pay a fee isn't worth that to you, then it's really just your loss. And if you don't pay the fee after the transaction is complete, I'll have you killed. (Note: that's for people in general, not necessarily Josie or other people I know and/or like.)

Personally I'd probably place a lot of blame on pet Bureaucrats, but I really haven't paid enough attention to know if that's accurate or not.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
winddancer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Gah, no, you misunderstood.

Smile Oh good. I hoped that was it. Sorry, Trevor. My bad!

I blame it on the fact I'm awake at 5 am after being roped into a crazy Marvel comic RPG in which I have no clue what I'm doing or am allowed to do or how to calculate whatever...

But yeah, I agree. It will be an unending bitter feud of tippers vs non-tippers vs payers...

I can see it now. 5 years down the line, and there would have been 5 million threads about tipping. And number 5 million & 1 has just started it all over again.

Tylen wrote:
...yadda...pet brokers...

I don't see pet [any professions] as the cause of the problem. I see them as a symptom of what the player community as a whole has encouraged for the convenience of it.

Whether by taking advantage of naturally kind-hearted players, or used by self-serving players...pet profession characters are a symptom, not the cause, of a deeper sociological issue.

Doctor Bel.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
While I think tipping is something people should do, for services rendered, I don't see every service you can think of having this "tip reminder" which gives Bureaucrats what is, in my opinion, an unfair advantage or perk.

I don't think it's realistic to incorporate a "tipping system" into medic healing, tech services, artisan repairs and crafts, and so on ad nauseum for every service imaginable. So if you can't do it for all of these services, how can you justify singling out certain services for this benefit?

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:

winddancer wrote:
...yadda...pet brokers...

I'll have to think about that one.

HR-Trevor wrote:
I don't think it's realistic to incorporate a "tipping system" into medic healing, tech services, artisan repairs and crafts, and so on ad nauseum for every service imaginable. So if you can't do it for all of these services, how can you justify singling out certain services for this benefit?

Ok well that makes sense. I'd probably say it's a Bureaucratic perk Cool , or (possibly a little more convincing) that this is the only player-to-player system that always involves money. I know I suggested before that it apply to all Bureaucratic services, but really it would probably make more sense just on the BROKER verb.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Belethe wrote:
I don't see pet [any professions] as the cause of the problem. I see them as a symptom of what the player community as a whole has encouraged for the convenience of it.

Whether by taking advantage of naturally kind-hearted players, or used by self-serving players...pet profession characters are a symptom, not the cause, of a deeper sociological issue.

I would say it's the desire of a player to not interact with anyone. Very Happy Social isolation.
Kelasa

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I've actually been pretty much biting my tongue on this because I was wanting to see what a populance in general wanted. I had noted before that every time a non bureaucrat sold a bundle of 50 the unit per price appeared to drop 10.03%. This number was come from a lot of extensive testing on my part and was told then that I was wrong by trevor, that there is a set ammount that the market drops. But I went and just ran a test and purposely crashed something on the market to get these numbers:

10 unrefined bundled of something.

Not using a bureaucrat:
Starting ticker price: 10.0 - $500, 9.06 - $453, 8.14 - $407, 7.24 - $362, 6.36 - $318, 5.49 - $274, 4.64 - $231, 3.81 - $190, 2.99 - $149, 2.19 - $109, Final ticker price: 1.41 Final profit: $2993. Now to this you can add your charisma divided by 13 rounded down as you bonus %. This was done on someone with a 3 charisma so no bonuses will play into effect on these numbers.

Now lets say a level 5 bureaucrat who hasn't been training their charisma or class skills sells for you. You would broker 500 units for a base profit of $5000. This here shows just over a 40% increase in profit, before counting any bonuses in.

Now different factors play into a bureaucrats bonuses, so we can get a lot higher then the base bonus anyone else can get. I don't know if a bureaucrat's bonus can ever top off or not. By making the bonus that a bureaucrat has trained to receive... in some cases sacrificing other skills in a vain attempt to be better then anyone else *coughs* Kelasa *coughs* into a commision which the crat thus receives directly, it would reflect a more real-life scenerio. Stock brokers RL work off just commision. Their jobs entail knowing the market in order to get their clients the best price, how is this any different then training to get our clients the best price?
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Stock brokers in real life also put forth more effort than typing 'y' at a command prompt. If you're going to go out and forage and mine and hunt for me to get the items, that's one thing; but if the extent of my involvement with you is the 3 seconds it takes to commit two keystrokes, I'll sell my own stuff before I submit to a mandated "tip". Whether you've screwed yourself by building your character to the lowest common denominator is your own problem.
 Back to top »
SteveH999

Location: There is currently 1 player in the world of Haelrahv.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think there should be one more step for the broker where they can see how much is GOING to be brokered and for how much, so that:
A) they can ask for a payment up front if they want to be paid for that amount of units sold. AND/OR
B) warn the customer that the market has crashed, because some people keep forgetting to check the ticker.

I agree, that's more than just a perk thing, it's something that the system NEEDS and does not have.

SteveH99 wrote: If I feel I'm not well treated in services rendered, I can withhold a tip, and not use the services of the person in the future.
Quote:
Excuse me?!? I am NOT your waitress. I am not earning ANY money on the side because I'm brokering for you. I am earning no money on the side whatsoever when I broker for people. Any money I get is what each person decides to tip me...or NOT tip me.

My livelihood does not depend on your sale. In fact, if I DID depend on brokering alone to make me money, I would most likely starve, because at least a third of the people I broker for don't ever bother to tip, another third don't even tip enough for me to sneeze with.

Damn right you're not a waitress. They DO depend on tipping for their liveliehood, and their wages reflect that.

Also, you missed the part of the post where I said that applies to EVERYTHING. It's NOT just brokering, and it's NOT just Haelrahv, it's EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. Tipping is customary for many things, but the amount tipped depends on quality of services rendered. Usually once the service is agreed upon, the type of tip coming is the only leverage a customer retains. So while I wouldn't stiff a waitress on a tip, if they do a great job then I'm likely going to tip them more. Or a haircut, or a cab ride, or...

Similarly, if their service is very bad, I have the option to lower the amount I tip, or withhold it alltogether. And I can remember not to use the services of that person in the future.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Brokering and commision/tipping.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: