Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
trooper powers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Troopers » trooper powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: trooper powers

would be nice to see more powers being offered to troopers .

as troopers seem to be law abiding law enforcing soldier type folks all except myself that is. wouldnt it be possible for troopers to gain powers of enforcement wich could help in upholding the law?

say 1 )power of restraint . two citizens are fighting to the death in the public eye along comes corporal john doe and restrains then both till they calm down.

corporal john doe stares at cit 1 .... cit one cannot move
corp john doe stares at cit 2 .... cit two cannot move

2) trooper joe blogs is walking the permiters of the city and hears a sound in the dark
trooper joe bloggs yells illuminate .... the room lights up in a flash of bright lights.

sneaky jim whos hiding in the bushes sees.... you are blinded by the light ... sneaky jim tries to move ... sneaky jim is stunned..

would be great for hunting parties and dark areas in general
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject:

Er. Troopers aren't particularly magical or mystical in nature. I'm not sure how they'd make people freeze with site or make light appear from thin air. I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just don't see where these powers would be coming from.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
would be nice to see more powers being offered to troopers .

I got some stuff in the works Cool

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Er. Troopers aren't particularly magical or mystical in nature. I'm not sure how they'd make people freeze with site or make light appear from thin air. I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just don't see where these powers would be coming from.

I think it's more that he sees Troopers as having the ability to boss people around/intimidate them.

Them freezing is more because the Trooper stares them down and they get scared.

The lights going on is more him demanding someone to turn on the lights in a city-based area.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject:

The comment on hunting parties and dark areas sounded like uncivilized places, hence no lights. Plus, not all Troopers have authority to a great degree.

The issue of staring people down seems to take a lot of freedom in one's hands, almost like forcing people to dance because you play a happy song. Some people hate dancing. Some people aren't scared of a guy with an evil eye. On NPC's this would be less a concern, but I can see players objecting to being told how they felt. At least with spells/psi/etc you can blame magica/supernatural components.

I'm not being argumentative, but these are valid points.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The issue of staring people down seems to take a lot of freedom in one's hands, almost like forcing people to dance because you play a happy song.

Well, there is some spellsong or something that kept making Yaru horny. You know how hard is to roleplay how an 8 year old would react to THAT?

Embarassed Razz

I don't see anything too different between being magically swayed (with skill/stat checks) and indimidated (with skill/stat checks)
 Back to top »
Xice

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
The issue of staring people down seems to take a lot of freedom in one's hands, almost like forcing people to dance because you play a happy song.

Well, there is some spellsong or something that kept making Yaru horny. You know how hard is to roleplay how an 8 year old would react to THAT?

Embarassed Razz

I don't see anything too different between being magically swayed (with skill/stat checks) and indimidated (with skill/stat checks)

Intimidation is a triple trainable for many professions, would they then have the ability to do the same thing to said trooper? If you are going to base a power off a skill it would have to have the same rules for everyone not just for a specific profession.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Xice wrote:
Intimidation is a triple trainable for many professions, would they then have the ability to do the same thing to said trooper? If you are going to base a power off a skill it would have to have the same rules for everyone not just for a specific profession.

Ha ha, good one!
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject:

Xice wrote:

Spell research is triple trainable for some professions, but mages are the only ones to get spells every 6 ranks of it.

If everyone would be able to do it, then Troopers should get a big bonus to it.
 Back to top »
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject:

okies i understand that troopers are non magical but i was thinking asking outright for stun grenades and flash bombs would get a definate no way Razz
 Back to top »
Xice

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Xice wrote:

Spell research is triple trainable for some professions, but mages are the only ones to get spells every 6 ranks of it.

If everyone would be able to do it, then Troopers should get a big bonus to it.

And your reasoning for this is what? Troopers have no special magical abilities....if you are once again basing it off the skill intimidation then why should they get a bonus? Troopers don't have intimidation as a core trainable skill or as a triple trainable one...is there some reasoning here I'm missing? Shouldn't Guardians or Psionics be a more fitting choice if you are basing it off that skill since that is a triple trainable skill as well as a core skill for those professions? You're asking for an ability that has no real basis in the basic skill set for that profession. I am sure Morrigan has a lot of ideas lined up for live to aid in law enforcement that are more geared toward the skill set in place for Troopers
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject:

Xice wrote:
And your reasoning for this is what?

Troopers are already the only group I know with the ability to boss NPCs around via the commandeer ability. This is pretty much an extension of the ability that Troopers seem to have, which is to be police-type officers in Haelrahv.

Feel free to hate the idea, still. I'm an artisan and really don't give a shit what Troopers get.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Troopers are already the only group I know with the ability to boss NPCs around via the commandeer ability. This is pretty much an extension of the ability that Troopers seem to have, which is to be police-type officers in Haelrahv.

Actually, commadeering is quite a bit different here than what I planned it to be for live. In live it will only apply to specific Trooper stores, not whole communities. Besides, it's not like they are bossing NPCs around, they get vouchers to go to stores to request the item and the store already has an arrangement with the Trooper guild to provide said items. It's not like they are walking in and strong arming shopkeeps.

Quote:
okies i understand that troopers are non magical but i was thinking asking outright for stun grenades and flash bombs would get a definate no way

That would get more consideration anyday than a magicial ability. And I'll consider it. Very Happy

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: offerings

since its my profession, ill speak up:

the grenades we thought about like this .. we could pull the pin, and throw it at a creature within the room. wed have to leave the room temporarily until it blasted (we'd hear something from that adjacent room). upon returning, creatures in the original room would be stunned/injured. but i foresee many abuses if this is made to also stun/injure players. and if we were fool enough to remain with the primed grenade in our hand, it would go off on us within a set amount of time.

also i was pondering the idea of giving troopers something akin to the merc's meditation, except to improve defencive rather than offencive stats (mentality, agility, vitality).

i heard 'trooper store' somewhere. im happy! dreg had suggested a trooper HQ building on echak perhaps.

You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject:

What makes a grenade a Trooper item?
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Troopers » trooper powers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: