Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Weapons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think use of weapon types should be limited according to stats/skills?
Limit weapons by using minimum stats (strength, coordination, etc.)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Limit weapons by using minimum skill levels for that type of weapon (40+ marksmanship, etc.)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Limit weapons by both minumum stats and minimum skill levels.
44%
 44%  [ 15 ]
Do not limit weapons, if I can afford to buy it, I can use it as well as my skill/stats allow.
44%
 44%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 34

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Weapons

Question

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I've always found level/stat/skill requirements on equipment to be annoying and generally unrealistic (as far as the environment goes).
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject:

The option I was looking for wasn't there, so I'll state it here. I don't think limiting the usage of weapons by stat/skill levels will do much more than encourage people to power train until they can finally pick up and use their weapon of choice if it has one.

(Here comes that phrase again) In DR ::wince::, a gnome could handle a huge 2-handed blunt weapon that weighs more than they do and is twice their size as well as a Gor'Tog could if they both had the same skill. That's just kind of wrong in my eyes.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Heh. I should mention btw, that Hael does not track the dimensions of items, only weight. So in Hael, an Alteri could use a sword twice as high as they are. The only problem would be in relation to weight of the weapon.

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject:

Argh, I am so for some kind of weapon limiting. I can't tell ya which, a little by the stats, a little by skills, a little of both.. that would be up to you guys. (Lots and lots of weapons not even having limits of course.)

I say this because in DR there is no limiting, and a newbie in rats can have a capped forged bastard sword (well ok almost capped, I made new better ones <g>), and the sad part is tons of them do! You can take a run through gobs (newbie heaven) and everyone and their sister has bastard swords.

You can be circle 1 and can have (and lots do) have the best weapons/armor in the game, its kinda stupid.

And because of this, I've always wanted at least some slight form of limiting. OR if there is no limiting on high end weapons, make them damn expensive to keep up. Pricy ammo, pricy cleaning kits, pricy replacement parts... damn pricy.
shadows_slave

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject:

hrm...pricy=bad...no money for pretty sparklies...i like the idea of limiting powerful weapons to people who have the "experience" to use them.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject:

Blatantly ripping off from another game here... but there's also the Dark Age of Camelot approach.. if the weapon's attributes make it more advanced than your skill, degradation of the weapon from clashes and use happens more rapidly.

Just one of many possible ideas.

Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Change of heart!

Confused Hmmmm Confused

Dragoon makes a good point. I did think it was rather stupid that newbies who managed to be introduced to the right people (or were just a new character of an experienced one) were waltzing around in forged armor and swinging top-of-the-line swords at rats. I can't change my vote now...so pretend there's another vote for the "limited by minimum stats/skill levels" option and one less for the "don't limit them" one.

Embarassed
HR-Phoenix

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Gnome Paladins,

crazy people who like a hard challenge - and when they grow up they swing 2-handed bastard sword like they're nothing, and thats from inside the human size heavy plate!!! Gotta love fantasy games Wink

Didn't mention the HUGE shields, missile weapons, sheaths full of a wide array of weapons... plus a million herbs and the list continues...

If it was reality based then they would just be stuck, buried or put away for being crazy Twisted Evil - nobody else ever think about that?

Oh, Ironically once I complained about my missile weapon not having a strap and they said it was to big to wear - yet it fitted in my backpack nicely... funny now, at the time was not so funny Confused

~Phoenix~
(Reality has never been so amusing)
 Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject:

Don't limit weapon use...just make it a bad idea to use a weapon you're not skilled in. Wink

Obviously using a knife wouldn't be too hard...but don't be surprised if you shoot your foot while reaching for your gun. Laughing

-SoulTorn
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I like Trevor's thought, accelerated degradation of the weapon if it's a higher skill weapon. Keep in mind, weapons are reapairable but, this could end up getting costly and therefore helps to limit use of overskilled weapons. Would this be based on usage or posession though? Meaning, while using the weapon, degradation is increased or if it is simply in your posession (in your backpack etc.). Either way, I think it should be a significant increase and maybe ratio'd against how close to the skill range you are for the weapon.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject:

If that concept were used, it would be by use, not possession.

Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject:

As much as I hate having to repair my weapons, I do have to say that I think it's more realistic to say that if you can afford it, you can use it...even if you can't hit anything with it...be it because of weight, or your lack of skill, whatever. It also goes to reason that if you can't hit with it, your chances of slicing yourself, or having it blow up in your hands...is a lot greater, too.

~ Beau Ciel ~
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
senutyenool

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject:

SoulTorn wrote:
Don't limit weapon use...just make it a bad idea to use a weapon you're not skilled in. Wink

Obviously using a knife wouldn't be too hard...but don't be surprised if you shoot your foot while reaching for your gun. Laughing

-SoulTorn

If this was mixed with Trev's degradation idea it should work out quite well.

Just image a fairly young Alteri playing with the shining phaser cannon he just found, pushing the wrong button sequence to fire it and ending up as a fairly largish vapour cloud. Twisted Evil (That is if this is codeable of course)

Which way did he go?
Which way did he go?
 Back to top »
HR-Solphan
Lord of All That Is Agenty

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Senutyenool wrote:

Just image a fairly young Alteri playing with the shining phaser cannon he just found, pushing the wrong button sequence to fire it and ending up as a fairly largish vapour cloud. Twisted Evil (That is if this is codeable of course)

Um.. heh heh. I already have a lever that, when pulled, vaporizes you.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: