FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
I'm Only Human
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Human Discussions » I'm Only Human
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject:

And besides who says i'm Human in RL? Laughing

PK
 Back to top »
balihai

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Just food for thought...

I completely understand wanting to play the different/exceptional races. Like I said in my original post, in other MUD's Humans were just *there.* And like Rage said, this time they're actually a foreign face.

So, you want to play the different/exceptional races. However, if you don't have the average/mundane to play against, sometimes the different/exceptional loses its flavor.

The Humans, in this case, provide an average, unexceptional race as a foil to play your exceptional Alteri/Eolai/Darju/Jaddan's against.

Sure, Humans are good at technology, and bossy, and think they run the place. But you were here before them! They know nothing about how Haelrahv REALLY works, even if they HAVE been there 300 years. So what if they brought you into the future - they are wasteful, arrogant creatures.

In short, I'm here to make you feel *spayshul*

You can thank me later. Wink
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject:

Phoenix I think yer thinkin of dogs, not cats Wink

And besides, I sleep more then my cat does.
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject:

I've waited a bit to chime in here, but as a Terra Historia person, my GM character is very proud to be human. Almost insanely proud. I think, as I choose to play non GM-characters I will usually lean toward playing humans for the reasons balihai described. I think they, together with the Darju, have some more "fun" reasons for RPing in that they are not on their home planets. As balihai pointed out, humans are now very different, especially when contrasted with the other races. Heck, we know ourselves that humans are very emotional. Just the sheer emotional waterfall that is a human would make for, in my opinion, the best RPing when contrasted with the other races.

In addition, the desire to go "home" (even though none of us ever saw Earth and the legends surrounding it are probably gonna be totally unbelievable by this time) will be very strong in the humans as well as in the Darju. As humans brought the language and helped advance the technology, part of them will always feel "superior" to the other races, and for that they have a lot to learn as well.

It may be "easier" to play a human since we know them best, however, I think it will always be difficult, too. How much of our history do we know? How much of it is the truth? How do we interact with other races? In some ways, we will become the more "awkward" race because of our conflicting desire to conquer every planet we come across and the fact that we can't leave the planet, let alone conquer Haelrahv. This muddle of "racial-based" emotions and fears can make for a fun RPing experience.

Eleanora
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject:

(Courage the Cowardly Dog style.)

"Stupid humans!"
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject:

<sneer> Humans smell funny. And they look too much like those Eolai. Never the bother. I'll can use their wrappings to clean the soles of my boots just like any one or thing else that wishes to get close and personal with the damage end of my pistol.

Nojym
Lexus00

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject:

HR-Eleanora wrote:
In addition, the desire to go "home" (even though none of us ever saw Earth and the legends surrounding it are probably gonna be totally unbelievable by this time) will be very strong in the humans as well as in the Darju. - Eleanora

That's the theme that is the most attractive to me in a lot of the sci-fi novels i've read over the y ears. That and the "trying to learn to be diplomatic" theme (like in Cherrryh's Invader series)

I generally play human characters because I like the challenge of being the ""control" element, so to speak.

I may try other races as the game progresses, but for starters I like to be something I know I can pull off.

Lexi DiGriz
 Back to top »
Kallai

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject:

HR-Myst wrote:
I follow the same line of thinking that I play a human in real life everyday, so I want to be something else in a role-play environment. I tend to go for the unusual to push my role-play abilities. In DR I liked to play an Elothean (no hair thank you very much) War Mage or a dwarf thief just to go against the norm. However, when I didn't want to think too much, my main DR character was a Prydaen thief.

Myst

The Elothean part...
I thought Elothean's had hair with a high..very high hairline? Like Delenn on babylon 5 when she went human like and got hair. (she was a cutie) She's how I always pictured Elothean's in DR..just like G'Kar (*drools* something about that man was sexy) had this S'kra thing going on, without the tail..

Okay but yeah, from what I'd heard and stuff, they weren't completely bald, just looked half bald maybe?

And, to be on topic I guess, (never posted this much on any boards) I like playing humans, people seem to avoid playing them when you can be things like the beautiful elven chicky/guy or something of that sort...so they aren't as common and can be interesting being raised in a land where other races surround them, my girl in DR has elven envy.

Humans in RPG's are very different than in RL, I would think, so it's not like playing what you already are, except for being of a similar human race, I think Confused Hmm...okay, I'll be quiet now, just confusing myself. Very Happy

Kallai
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Humans are currently the most popular race in Haelrahv, going by the current pre-alpha figures. 31% of all characters (excluding staff) are human.

Eolai are close with 28%, Darju are at 21%, Alteri at at 10% and Jaddan at 7%

On an interesting sidenote, we are also now 50/50 on male/female population, which I think is cool. Smile That's currently 119 males, 119 females.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Human Discussions » I'm Only Human
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: