FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Armor Crafting Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Armor Crafting Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject:

Making armor seems different than making clothes, but I don't know much about either. I know that mercs can triple train craftsmanship, but I don't know if we were intented to make armor or not.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Making armor seems different than making clothes, but I don't know much about either. I know that mercs can triple train craftsmanship, but I don't know if we were intented to make armor or not.

I would see where craftsmanship would be factored in if I was making Heavy Armor, but I think making Light Armor is a differnt story. We're dealing with skins/hides/pelts that ya have to sew together like tailoring to make light armor. There are some shops that sell light armor made of cloth or just padding.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Crafting? Are you serious?

Yep.

Light armor skill for what you can make, crafting for how well you can make it.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
I would see where craftsmanship would be factored in if I was making Heavy Armor, but I think making Light Armor is a differnt story. We're dealing with skins/hides/pelts that ya have to sew together like tailoring to make light armor. There are some shops that sell light armor made of cloth or just padding.

Oh, yeah, I didn't think about that. When I think of armor, I usually think of chain or plate or something, and that'd certainly use craftsmanship. But if you were just making pelt armor stuff... I don't know, heh. It just seems like making armor, even if it's just pelt stuff, would have some fundamental differences with making shirts... but I don't know, heh.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject:

If you made any armor, you'd see there is very little sewing and cutting involved in the process. Mostly you're strapping things together, affixing scales/studs/rings, waxing it, and so on.

There is very little cutting done (other than the initial stuff), and hardly any sewing from what I saw.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
If you made any armor, you'd see there is very little sewing and cutting involved in the process. Mostly you're strapping things together, affixing scales/studs/rings, waxing it, and so on.

There is very little cutting done (other than the initial stuff), and hardly any sewing from what I saw.

Heh, I dont know wat kinda armor you are making but it does involve alot of sewing and cutting. It may not seem like it because of the few steps but look at the RT. There's something going on besides Part A snaps into Part B or Take Part C and wrap this piece of leather strap around Part D. Gotta remember, these peices you start out with are all the same size, there's gotta be some serious cutting going on. And as i had pointed out before, there are light armor made out of clothe and padding. But alas, like Mickey said before:
Quote:
...I like seeing people have to spend skill points to do and be the best at things they want to do - which, when the rubber hits the road, can't be everything.

Sighs
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:

I think it makes sense to have armor factor in craftsmanship rather than tailoring, since the hides have to be prepared in x way, whereas material for clothing doesn't. I also think clothing items such as footwear should use tanned hides and craftsmanship rather than just thread and cloth. Unless we're all walking around in booties. ;]

Still, it would be nice if there were more to actually do with craftsmanship. I've recently tried my hand at woodworking and have to admit I was a good deal dissapointed. I think it's great that we're given the freedom to design our own looks, but I think a 4minute rt is a little unreasonable. Also if you mess up on the detailing the item's worth is completely voided, and there's no way to tell besides trial and error how many words you can fit in.
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject:

>apply wax on my skin

You introduce the wax to your sshliss skin, and wait as the leather hardens.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

>exp

You have not experienced anything useful recently. Perhaps you should do something to further your knowledge.

How come i'm not learning anything when applying wax? With all that RT, shouldnt i be learning?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject:

senseandviolets wrote:
I think it's great that we're given the freedom to design our own looks, but I think a 4minute rt is a little unreasonable. Also if you mess up on the detailing the item's worth is completely voided...

The roundtime goes down with skill.

Quote:
...and there's no way to tell besides trial and error how many words you can fit in.

Well, I couldn't tell it when it was safe for me to do the same when it came to fighting chiths.
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:

Skinning must come into play with tanning then, because I know someone who has just as much light armor skill, no crafting skill like I do, and no skinning and he couldn't scrape well at all. So it takes three skills to be able to craft armor, and when heavy armor is available, it'll take that skill instead of light armor, I'm assuming.
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject:

Thinking about it a bit more now that I'm more awake, maybe it's tailoring not skinning that helps you scrape the hides/pelts/skins.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm a bit behind here, but I'll throw out some catch-up bits in the meantime.

In essence, tanning and armoring are two completely different "systems", so to speak. Tanning encapsulates the process up the the point that you remove the skins from the drum (there'd technically be another step in the process where you work oils into it, but it was at that point in the coding process that Valla and I thought it would be more fun to be able to make armor out of it). So, in actuality, there are two at least partially different skillsets involved in the full gauntlet (not to mention some variation even within those systems).

Without detailing weights involved or where each applies, tanning revolves around your ability to skin, hand-eye coordination, and a minimal bit of tailoring skill.

Light Armor, in simplest form, determines what you're able to make by minimum requirement. Craftsmanship and general know-how are the staples of actual armor creation, and effect time and quality of work.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tao

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject:

Thanx for the explaination Mickey. I feel better now.
Tao

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject:

Oh yeah, and i think its so kewl how when you look at the armor, you see who crafted it.

>look mask
Crafted by Tao Shadowstalker, 25th Shadan, 250 NC.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject:

Oops, I also forgot to mention... tanning a skin to completion also increases its value when sold. And fleshing is the only step of the process that has a chance of ruining the skin (which is your incentive to get it out of the way before soaking).

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Armor Crafting Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: