FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Contracts!
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Contracts!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Contracts!

I'm just curious how people are going to be informed of a contract on them in live. Will we still have to tell them "I'm going to kill you shortly, so go hide in a lab or image or whatever," or will there be a different way?

Maybe we could have an NPC tell them that someone has paid for a contract, but not tell them who's coming after them, or when someone decides to take up the job. Or maybe have a list of sorts of people that are currently wanted, or send them mail, or something.

Those are just crappy ideas that I thought of while writing this, do you have anything specific planned?
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Will we still have to tell them "I'm going to kill you shortly, so go hide in a lab or image or whatever,"

I wasn't aware any advance warning was required, so far all we've encouraged was showing the contract right before you attack.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Oh, it can be that quick? I thought we had to tell them earlier than that, for some reason... sorry, I probably misread something a long time ago. I didn't mean to sound like an asshole there, I just reread it and saw that it kinda looked that way... sorry.

When you say showing the contract, do you mean that we could do something like... idk... "act removes a contract from his belt pouch. It reads: x hired Vhen to kill y. Vhen puts the contract back in his pouch," or show them a piece of paper that has that written on it, or just say "X hired me to kill you." and then attack instantly?

Sorry, I just want to know the protocol so nobody gets angry that I didn't give them enough warning.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die. Now, offer me money."
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject:

We haven't decided on an exact format yet, any of the ways you mentioned are close enough to our plans until we figure out an official way for live.
Mischeif

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject:

actualy soundless, its not really like that, of course you could. the contracts are put out by others to kill others, you need not be more than the instrument of execution. doesnt have to involve you personaly.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Not to say that you don't incur anybody's wrath, though *grins*.
 Back to top »
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die. Now, offer me money."

Mischeif wrote:
actualy soundless, its not really like that, of course you could. the contracts are put out by others to kill others, you need not be more than the instrument of execution. doesnt have to involve you personaly.

It was just a funny! Razz

The Bell
 Back to top »
Balerion

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Contract system

I think a good system for live might be as follows. There is a merc only place in each major city, not unlike the thief guild in Dragon Realms, it must be found. Mercs go there and look on a list to see names of targets and rewards for them. We can take the contract then and be paid upon completion. To tes it we must save a log and present it, or perhaps take a picture of the corpse. The way people put out the contracts could be something like they go to a bar and talk to the bartender. they specify the reward and put it on hand so Mercs are automatically paid when the target has been eliminated. If the person who is hiring the hit decides they want their money back, it can be a simple cancelation before anyone takes the hit.
 Back to top »
ethrstorm
Riddle-De-Dum

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject:

sounds pretty cool Belerion so well thought out and such.
TrentKincaid

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I would imagine that the system will probably work a bit like that, getting contracts from sort of a contract manager or master in a mercenary-only area of the world. Smile

Quote:
To tes it we must save a log and present it, or perhaps take a picture of the corpse.

I like the picture idea, don't like the log idea so much. Having to present a log is not really RPish (although I guess you could call it a video of the killing to frame it in RP terms) and it kind of defeats the purpose of having an automated system to track contracts. Since the game by virtue of its design lends itself to tracking who killed what, the idea is to take advantage of it to eliminate the need for logs (which can be doctored quite easily as they're just text files) and the lengthy review thereof by flesh and blood humans, etc.. Perhaps instead, the person who takes out the contract can specify what they want as proof (an ear, an eye, a finger, a picture, maybe even the entire head) and the mercenary would then have to perform the killing and take the proof back to receive payment for the contract. But I really do love the idea of taking a picture of the body, it might just be morbid enough to work.

A middle-aged prostitute says, "Now that you mention it, I could use a small bone. I'll be grateful if you find it for me!"

You say, "No small bones here."
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject:

how about someone like the flying nun, sweeps down and whispers in your ear,,,your wish has been fufilled.

sorry just the irony of a nun delivering "your contract killing is completed" just struck me funny.

maybe a lil messenger shows up and tells you its done. quietly and unknown to the observers. like slips a note in your hand, or even easier, whispers it to you. a winged messenger whispers to you "x killed y, as you requested" and its done. easy for us, hell on the coders. i know i never have easy answers.
 Back to top »
ethrstorm
Riddle-De-Dum

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject:

Mischeif wrote:
how about someone like the flying nun, sweeps down and whispers in your ear,,,your wish has been fufilled.
lol too funny.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Contracts!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: