Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Mercenaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Mercenaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
How about getting a counterattack move at a certain level? If we're not in rt and we successfully defend, we get a chance to counter, provided we're holding a suitable weapon.

Already something I'm looking at for Live.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
If contracts are part of the justice system, wouldn't it be great if Mercs had to train in Law? (No, I'm not really being facetious either.)

I wouldn't think mercenaries should have to train law, because we're not really dealing with that part of the justice system. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want to spend points. Maybe training in law could result in higher contract prices, or something like that. That's just my opinion, though.
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I wouldn't think mercenaries should have to train law, because we're not really dealing with that part of the justice system. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want to spend points. Maybe training in law could result in higher contract prices, or something like that. That's just my opinion, though.

Personally, I see requiring law training for mercenaries the same way I look at requiring auto plant workers to be able compute the output of adiabatic processes in a combustion engine.

It would be mutually beneficial for the bureaucracy side of the contract system to be handled by, well, bureaucrats. It would be less stuff for mercenaries to have to worry about, and it would give bureaucrats something more to do in the justice system.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject:

HR-Marduk wrote:
Personally, I see requiring law training for mercenaries the same way I look at requiring auto plant workers to be able compute the output of adiabatic processes in a combustion engine.

It would be mutually beneficial for the bureaucracy side of the contract system to be handled by, well, bureaucrats. It would be less stuff for mercenaries to have to worry about, and it would give bureaucrats something more to do in the justice system.

I see it more like requiring cops to know something about the laws they're trying to enforce (yes, I know that Mercenaries aren't really police officers). They might not need to know as much as a judge or lawyer, but you can't be an arm of the law without having some knowledge of what you're enforcing. Well assuming you're working with some government-sponsored "official" system. Better knowledge of the law could allow for more interesting and rewarding contracts.

None of this overlaps with bureaucratic duties at all. But it's nice to know someone is looking out for us since it sure doesn't look like anyone else is.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:

I see it more like requiring cops to know something about the laws they're trying to enforce (yes, I know that Mercenaries aren't really police officers). They might not need to know as much as a judge or lawyer, but you can't be an arm of the law without having some knowledge of what you're enforcing. Well assuming you're working with some government-sponsored "official" system. Better knowledge of the law could allow for more interesting and rewarding contracts.

None of this overlaps with bureaucratic duties at all. But it's nice to know someone is looking out for us since it sure doesn't look like anyone else is.

may i direct your view to the strands i hashed out before on this very topic. think bounty hunter, renegade type. we arent cops, we arent rent-a-cops, we arent swat, so we arent even low income security guards. when the law fails, and they escape or evade the law, then its handed to us. we jus go get the bad guy and return em for our money. nothing more, nothing less. that is the ONLY affiliation we will have with law enforcement.

youre a merc, killer for hire by private parties or if the warrant says wanted dead or alive. mostly it will be detain, and bring into the closest law office for bounty. bounty hunter only on the law side.

if youre wanting to be a cop, then youll have to become a trooper.

if you want to be a stealthy sniper type, then you need to become an agent.

we are the walk up in broad daylight, and boom. to be anything else would require the professions of trooper, agent, and merc to blend, per say, together. then you would have one multi class of untouchables, and that would throw the game into extreme imbalance.

the corpse of the merc as a cop was beaten past the point of decay, beyond the phrase of "beating a dead horse". sorry for any harsh tones taken, but i just dont want to see this start all over again.
 Back to top »
ronst

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject:

mmmm.... counterattack <gargle> Mr. Green
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Mercenaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: