FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yojibalinese
Resident air head and all around cute genius

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
a multicultural planet smushed together in an area that -- to me -- looks smaller then Long Island all together.

Just to let you know, Haelrahv is not only the city of Llanfair and the surrounding islands. There are many other cities that you just don't have access to yet. I'd suggest heading over to Chodaku and reading the books in Captain Muja's Very Happy

That's why I said area. I meant the current area, the only areas that have been populated as of yet.

HR-Morrigan wrote:
Interesting theory, but I have to disagree here. First, the native races (Eolai, Jaddan and Alteri) have long histories before the landing of the Darju and the Humans. And yes, the arrival of outsiders has had considerable impact on the lifestyle of the natives, but they would not have given up their native languages or their traditions so easily. I don’t believe 250-300 years is enough time to make Haelrahvian citizens into this mass of conglomerated goo. Millennia have come and gone and that hasn’t happened on Earth yet heh. Certainly, the people of Haelrahv have become integrated to an extent, but not to the extent where they have lost all sense of their previous selves.

Yes, but this HAS happened in America.
 Back to top »
yojibalinese

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
I don’t believe 250-300 years is enough time to make Haelrahvian citizens into this mass of conglomerated goo. Millennia have come and gone and that hasn’t happened on Earth yet heh. Certainly, the people of Haelrahv have become integrated to an extent, but not to the extent where they have lost all sense of their previous selves.

It has taken roughly that long for America to become the way it is. I definately equate inhabited Haelrahv with Long Island. Small space, a great deal of different people, and a melding of cultures. Yes, we still have racial troubles in America....but as opposed to the way it way only 100 years ago, we've come a long way.

So, I disagree with the reason you disagree with me. ^.^ It is possible for a loss of culture and language to happen in 200 years. The country we -- most of us that play this game -- live in is the prime example.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject:

"Inhabited Haelrahv" is, by definition, the entire planet; that would be like a United States the size of Earth (a fine aspiration for our current commander-in-chief, but I digress). Llanfair is only a single city, and keep in mind that there are veritably undiscovered/unexplored regions and peoples -- when is the last time you saw a Mayan spraypainting grafitti on a wall, or a pygmy doing her banking online?

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yojibalinese

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
"Inhabited Haelrahv" is, by definition, the entire planet; that would be like a United States the size of Earth (a fine aspiration for our current commander-in-chief, but I digress). Llanfair is only a single city, and keep in mind that there are veritably undiscovered/unexplored regions and peoples -- when is the last time you saw a Mayan spraypainting grafitti on a wall, or a pygmy doing her banking online?

So you're saying that in 300 HR years we've not ben able to travel around a planet that is completely inhabitted?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Trink wrote:
So you're saying that in 300 HR years we've not ben able to travel around a planet that is completely inhabitted?

You do realize there are unexplored areas of Earth right now, right?

The main races do interact. Humans most likely live in the big Alteri city, but I doubt there are any Jaddans living with the chith and borkin.

Chith, borkin, nowabi, and other races/cultures aren't all that interested in mixing cultures, let alone letting you explore the planet. Since there is no strong desire to just take over everything and make it in our image, there's quite a bit of 'unblazed' territory in Haelrahv.
yojibalinese

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Trink wrote:

You do realize there are unexplored areas of Earth right now, right?

The main races do interact. Humans most likely live in the big Alteri city, but I doubt there are any Jaddans living with the chith and borkin.

Chith, borkin, nowabi, and other races/cultures aren't all that interested in mixing cultures, let alone letting you explore the planet. Since there is no strong desire to just take over everything and make it in our image, there's quite a bit of 'unblazed' territory in Haelrahv.

However, we should have the technology to detect any major city or cultural center unless it's got some cool technology that let it burrow in the earth or stay hidden in other ways. It's not like we're talking about Christopher Colombus ramming into the West Indies. Yes, it had been like that for the less technological races on HR before the humans and Darju crash landed and brought all this cool technology with them.

I need to start playing Trink differently if this is the case. Finding new technology, or lost technology, is right up her ally.

I really think we would have at least detected other cities in 600 earth years.
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Trink wrote:
However, we should have the technology to detect any major city or cultural center unless it's got some cool technology that let it burrow in the earth or stay hidden in other ways. It's not like we're talking about Christopher Colombus ramming into the West Indies. Yes, it had been like that for the less technological races on HR before the humans and Darju crash landed and brought all this cool technology with them.

I need to start playing Trink differently if this is the case. Finding new technology, or lost technology, is right up her ally.

I really think we would have at least detected other cities in 600 earth years.

Maybe they don't have cities.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Trink wrote:
However, we should have the technology to detect any major city or cultural center unless it's got some cool technology that let it burrow in the earth or stay hidden in other ways.

In the future != super-great technology.

The humans that came to Haelrahv aren't the best and brightest people of their generation, put into a rocketship and sent afar because Earth was about to explode. They were more like the cast of "Lost in Space", from what I've been reading.

Yes, there is some really cool technology, like the regenerators, cyber parts, communicators, and pulse weapons. Heck, we even has GPS units. But that doesn't mean we have rocket feet, the ability to replicate food, and the ability to analyze every inch of Haelrahv.

We also do know where a lot of the major cities and hubs of intelligent life are in Haelrahv. I just wouldn't go and say we know all of them, though.
yojibalinese

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Trink wrote:
However, we should have the technology to detect any major city or cultural center unless it's got some cool technology that let it burrow in the earth or stay hidden in other ways.

In the future != super-great technology.

The humans that came to Haelrahv aren't the best and brightest people of their generation, put into a rocketship and sent afar because Earth was about to explode. They were more like the cast of "Lost in Space", from what I've been reading.

Yes, there is some really cool technology, like the regenerators, cyber parts, communicators, and pulse weapons. Heck, we even has GPS units. But that doesn't mean we have rocket feet, the ability to replicate food, and the ability to analyze every inch of Haelrahv.

We also do know where a lot of the major cities and hubs of intelligent life are in Haelrahv. I just wouldn't go and say we know all of them, though.

Earth is still there....or did I misread and Earth did get blown up?

Sah. Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with that. I'll keep my disbelief about things to myself. ^.^ It IS just a game.
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject:

You really ought to go and read those books on Chodaku, because right now you're talking about stuff that you are really uninformed about, so it's pretty much just everyone correcting you...and that's not much fun after the first page.
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:

If I'm remembering the right story (it changed a few times before it got released), then Earth still exists, but is inaccessable. There was a freak wormhole type thing that transported the human ship VERY far away in an unknown direction.
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject:

hmm we havent even seen all of earth yet we only scratched the surface not to mention a drop of the water in the oceans and we havent even tried underground yet .... yep im all for uninhabited hr areas and freak creatures being discovered whose knows? alteris could have been some underground throwback and we just blamed space cos it was convenient Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If I'm remembering the right story (it changed a few times before it got released), then Earth still exists, but is inaccessable. There was a freak wormhole type thing that transported the human ship VERY far away in an unknown direction.

That sounds right to me. It's on the boards as well... somewhere... ah, right here: http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1261
 Back to top »
yojibalinese

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Brenton wrote:
You really ought to go and read those books on Chodaku, because right now you're talking about stuff that you are really uninformed about, so it's pretty much just everyone correcting you...and that's not much fun after the first page.

Maybe you yourself need to start reading things a little more carefully. ^.^
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject:

You've been here two weeks....haven't bothered reading the history yet you seem to think you're capable of criticizing someone's suggestion that is perfectly plausible. I say again...go read the books on Chodaku. Or at least stop doing what I wrote above.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: