FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: RP traits and flaws

::invokes his power of Dead Thread Necromancy::

I'm not sure this fits entirely in this category, but I would be interested in seeing some traits and flaws that can add the the character's RP and background. But here are my suggestions.

Cultural Isolation (Flaw, +2 trait points (maybe +3..it's harsh))
-Humans can not choose this flaw.
-The character grew up surrounded only by members of their race. As a result, they are unable to speak or understand common. In other words, they can only speak their race's language.
-The character is still able to learn to speak common once they are trained enough to learn an additional language.
-In addition, the character's starting location is limited to:
Wargale, for the Jaddan
Seiho Xa, for the Alteri
Esia, for the Eolai
Zutmung (sp? It's that tent city mentioned in the political text), for the Darju
-This flaw and the Cultural Integration trait are mutually exclusive.

Cultural Integration (Trait, -1 trait points)
-The character grew up in an area with two distinct cultural backgrounds, and as such are bilingual. The character can choose an additional language after finalizing their traits/flaws.
-In addition, the character can begin their life in the city of Llanfair.
-This trait and Cultural Isolation are mutually exclusive.

Giganticism (flaw, +2 trait points)
-Through a twist of genetics or an inhereted family gene, the character is abnormally large for their native race. This results in a +1 training penalty to Agility and a -1 bonus strength due to their abnormal size.
-The character's height is a minimum of the tallest allowable for the race, and a maximum of an additional 2 feet in height, with a proportional increase in weight.
-In addition, the character must pay an extra 30% on the purchase of clothes and armor for resizing purposes. After purchase, these items can only be worn by someone else with this same flaw (race be damned, I imagine coding would be easier that way Wink).
-This flaw and Dwarfism are mutually exclusive.

Dwarfism (flaw, +2 trait points)
-Similar to Giganticism, the character is abnormally small for their race. This results in a +1 penalty to Strength and a -1 bonus to Agility for their reduced size.
-The maximum height of this character is the same as the minimum height for normal members of their race. They can be an additonal 2 feet shorter as well.
-Like in Giganticism, the character must pay an additional 30% resizing fee on the purchase of clothes and armor. The items can only be used by others with Dwarfism.
-This flaw and Giganticism are mutually exclusive.

Substance Intolerant (flaw, +1 trait points)
-The character has a much greater possibility of becoming addicted to alcohol and illegal drugs. The negative effects of both are amplified.

Fortitude (trait, -1 trait points)
-The character has a greater resistance to the negative effects of alcohol and drugs, allowing them to drink and use more without much fear of addiction.

High Metabolism (flaw, +1 trait points)
-The character becomes hungry faster, and requires food and drink more frequently.

Stomach of the Asapi (trait, -1 trait points)
-The character's appetite is similar to that of a bird, and can operate for days at a time with little to no ill effects of hunger from lack of food.

Phobia (flaw, +3 trait points)
-The character has an unnatural fear of a certain object, creature, or activity, which is randomly chosen after they finalize their traits and flaws.
-There is a chance that character will suffer the effects of fear whenever they encounter the thing they fear most. Examples:
Fear of gamojabs - The person is unable to fight or function up to their normal standard when a gamojab is present in the room. The gamojab will land harder hits more frequently should they actually engage in fighting. There is a chance that the person will scream and flee in terror regardless of engagement or not.
Fear of guns - The person will be unable to fight or function properly against if a creature or person is openly bearing a firearm in the room. The weapon will do more damage, and the character has a chance of fleeing in terror.
Fear of swimming - The person can swim only with great difficulty and a doubled roundtime. There is a chance that any attempt to enter water in the first place will cause the person to panic.

The following three traits/flaws are all mutually exclusive

Predisposition: Good (trait, -2 points)
-The character has a natural leaning towards the path of good due to their upbringing, doubling the "alignment points" that are gained from hunting, etc. that move them towards the "good" end of the spectrum.
-Conversely, any alignment points gained from an activity that moves them towards the Evil side are tripled.
-Should the character ever fall to the evil side, they will incur an ever greater increasing penalty (like the Death Penalty) until their alignment is "fixed".
-The character is slightly more effective against evil creatures and players.

Predisposition: Evil (trait, -2 points)
-The same as the above, but with evil instead of good.

Predisposition: Neutrality (flaw, +2 points)
-The character has a natural leaning towards neither end of the alignment spectrum.
-All "alignment points" gained from doing any activity are doubled.
-If the character's alignment shifts too far towards either good or evil (past the first tier), they will incur an increasing death penalty until they stabilize their alignment.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject:

This is also not really profession-only related, but I figure a general "suggest traits and flaws for live" thread would open the flood gates a bit more. Go ahead and smite me if I have angered you, Mickey.

But yeah. I always have liked the idea of people being able to play halfling-esque characters if they wanted to. And it has become apparent that many want to do that, as per all of the children running around that simply don't resemble their parents in any regard.

So, would it be possible to work that into the trait/flaw system? They would likely be traits, if only because making it a flaw would open more trait points up... which means you'd just get a lot more halfling characters than there should be. The point cost would be staggered based on the likelihood that your race would successfully mate with another.

For example: a cost of 4 points for a Darju-Human hybrid, while it would cost 6 points for a Darju-Eolai hybrid. I can see Eolai having an added cost, since they're supposed to generally be against mixed relationships. Jaddan and Alteri would naturally be out of this hybridizing choice, since they're so radically different than everybody else.

Now, the whole point behind doing this. The race you choose in the character manager would be your "base race"; racial bonuses and stat costs will be calculated as normal for that race. The hybrid trait/flaw will simply give you extra choices for the character's appearance. For example, a Human-Eolai could have the overall appearance of a human, but might have the Eolai spot thingies... or just look like the most handsome/beautiful human around (since humans seem to be fairly rough looking comparitively).

Well. It sounded better before I typed it all up.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: RP traits and flaws

Dante wrote:
Cultural Isolation (Flaw, +2 trait points (maybe +3..it's harsh))

This doesn't seem terribly harsh to me considering how easy it is to learn an additional language. Now make them totally unable to learn Common and that's a flaw.

Dante wrote:
Giganticism (flaw, +2 trait points)
Dwarfism (flaw, +2 trait points)

I'd say lower the point cost from 2 to 1. The only net flaw on your character is the increase in clothing cost, which isn't going to have much of an effect in the long run unless you just have to buy a new outfit every day.

Dante wrote:
Phobia (flaw, +3 trait points)

Nice idea, but probably not worth the coding effort (particularly the firearm one).

Dante wrote:
...Predispositions...

I kinda like those.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
stuff

Ok, I'm totally against halfbreeds. It just really shouldn't be possible due to DNA considerations. But who knows, maybe we have some clandestine genetic engineering things going on.

If for some reason it became possible, I'd say assign a point cost like a trait, but otherwise treat it like a flaw. Anyone with this trait should be shunned by members of both their parent races (except possibly Humans... they'll breed with anything).
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
Brokyn wrote:
stuff

Ok, I'm totally against halfbreeds. It just really shouldn't be possible due to DNA considerations. But who knows, maybe we have some clandestine genetic engineering things going on.

I'm okay with the halfbreeds that made sense biologically.

So a Human-Eolai (Humolai? Eoliman?) would be okay, but no Jaddan-Alteri.
maddie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for the half-races that make sense (i.e. Human/Darju, Human/Eolai and possibly Eolai/Darju). In fact, I would love to play a Human/Darju because my character seems to be a bit more Darju in the rp sense, though still a human.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject:

YES!! 3 more races to hate/heckle/beat up.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RP traits and flaws

Quote:
This doesn't seem terribly harsh to me considering how easy it is to learn an additional language. Now make them totally unable to learn Common and that's a flaw.

I thought of this one once. I really like the idea, too.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject:

It's EASY to learn a new language? I must be doing something very wrong then, seeing as how Dante can't learn one yet...and he just went on a certain quest...
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Dante wrote:
It's EASY to learn a new language? I must be doing something very wrong then, seeing as how Dante can't learn one yet...and he just went on a certain quest...

What's you Intellect and Research?
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:

27 and 57 respectively. Honestly I haven't checked in two levels, but I hardly call where I am "easy" to get to and still not be able to learn a second one.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Dante wrote:
27 and 57 respectively. Honestly I haven't checked in two levels, but I hardly call where I am "easy" to get to and still not be able to learn a second one.

Ok... I'm considering it "easy" relative to how you compensate for other flaws (well, overall you just can't).

If you take two characters, identical in all respects except there is one with XXX flaw (chosen from the current list) and one without, then the first character is forever going to be at a disadvantage to the second.

Now, take two characters, identical except one is Culturally Isolated. He starts out at a disadvantage to the unflawed guy, but through the course of leveling up and training various skills/stats is eventually able to leave his home city and learn Common, thus leaving them on equal footing with the unflawed person. So basically they got 2 (or 3) trait points for the cost of learninga language (I think $50,000).

[/list]
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject:

Hmm....true enough. Perhaps instead for the Isolation idea of only knowing the races language at start up, in addition to that the character is completely unable to learn any additional languages at all, leaving them only able to speak and understand their races dialect for the life of the character. I think that would suffice as a flaw. ^_^

And for the Integration one, it is easier to learn additional languages in addition to starting out knowing the language of one of the other playable races.
yojibalinese
Resident air head and all around cute genius

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject:

Dante wrote:
Hmm....true enough. Perhaps instead for the Isolation idea of only knowing the races language at start up, in addition to that the character is completely unable to learn any additional languages at all, leaving them only able to speak and understand their races dialect for the life of the character. I think that would suffice as a flaw. ^_^

And for the Integration one, it is easier to learn additional languages in addition to starting out knowing the language of one of the other playable races.

I'm not sure on this, so I'm just throwing out examples. Haelrahv, for the past 300 years, has been a multicultural planet smushed together in an area that -- to me -- looks smaller then Long Island all together. For all intents and purposes, I'll use NYC as an example. Because of interactions with other species, a common language was developed -- or since common is English, it was forced on everyone in true humanlike fashion. English might not be what was spoken in the houses, but it is in the schools. And in all daily interactions outside the home.

By the third generation of anyone foriegn moving into the area, they known both languages. The same probably isn't true of generations past that. Obviously, humans have lost all other language but English -- or maybe common is a conglomeration of all Earth languages...? Darjus as well. And Alteri and Jaddan only ever had one language because their cultures were still in their infancy -- again, speculation, I'm probably mangling that up.

Anyhow, I know Eolai are strict about keeping themselves pure because of how they view themselves over others. Eolai are definately the type to keep their language alive. And yes, the rest of the other races seem to as well, though this seems somewhat unlikely -- then again, they are not human and do not have human mentality....

Anyhow, what I'm trying to get at, is that if a character did not grow up in a traditional home where both parents spoke the native language most of the time, then they probably don't know it. For common, however, anyone that has had to interact with a language for years to survive has DEFINATELY picked it up.

Therefore, I disagree with Dante. It's not the racial language that should be known automatically, it is common. Also, I think it would be the rule that races probably don't know their race's original language anymore. It's been so long since anyone had the need for it that the current generation probably finds it useless.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
a multicultural planet smushed together in an area that -- to me -- looks smaller then Long Island all together.

Just to let you know, Haelrahv is not only the city of Llanfair and the surrounding islands. There are many other cities that you just don't have access to yet. I'd suggest heading over to Chodaku and reading the books in Captain Muja's Very Happy

Quote:
It's not the racial language that should be known automatically, it is common. Also, I think it would be the rule that races probably don't know their race's original language anymore. It's been so long since anyone had the need for it that the current generation probably finds it useless.

Interesting theory, but I have to disagree here. First, the native races (Eolai, Jaddan and Alteri) have long histories before the landing of the Darju and the Humans. And yes, the arrival of outsiders has had considerable impact on the lifestyle of the natives, but they would not have given up their native languages or their traditions so easily. I don’t believe 250-300 years is enough time to make Haelrahvian citizens into this mass of conglomerated goo. Millennia have come and gone and that hasn’t happened on Earth yet heh. Certainly, the people of Haelrahv have become integrated to an extent, but not to the extent where they have lost all sense of their previous selves.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: