FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
This folder seemed appropriate.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Just For A Laugh ... » This folder seemed appropriate.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: This folder seemed appropriate.

This folder seemed appropriate.

I couldn't help but make this post. I just have to thank Simutronics for showing their colors again. For those who don't know the story -- I was a SGM in their Modus Operandi product and I worked on that product for five years. Frankly, I put in as many as 300 or so hours a month work at times, and I was quite dedicated. I'm not going to go on a long tirade here, and I admit I had my own share of mistakes that were 100% my fault, my screwup.

However, I was fired from the staff there when I made an anonymous post last time they raised their rates for subscriptions. Why did I do it? Because I'd seen all the signs, I knew what was going on. The customer was taking the back burner. I knew they'd prove this again, too.

Well folks, they just raised basic subscriptions by $2.00, Premium by $7.00. Their new pricing:

Basic Subscription $14.95
Premium (includes Basic) $39.95
Platinum (includes Basic, Premium) $49.95
The Fallen $19.95
The Fallen w/Premium $44.95
Extra Character Slot $2.50

Thanks, Simu. As our largest competitor, you're only helping us. But I weep for friends of my own that still play your games because of the community and friends of their own there.

Guys, we're a business. We have needs, and yeah, we'll have to start charging at the proper time, but I'll tell you this right now. I'd sooner close our doors than gouge you like this!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Guys, we're a business. We have needs, and yeah, we'll have to start charging at the proper time, but I'll tell you this right now. I'd sooner close our doors than gouge you like this!

If Whatley's woman wants a nicer ring, who are you to judge?

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap, $20 for TF, $40 for Premie? Man... I like games and all, but $40 per month is just ridiculous. Good for HR, probably... but way bad for the people who like Simu's games.
 Back to top »
mirsathia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject:

It's funny. In the pricing section of the boards, Solomon was defending it saying that "All the other MMORPGs have this price, we're just going with the flow."

I'm paying Artifact Entertainment $12.95 a month for access to 5 characters and 8 servers to choose from. Hell no I'm not gonna pay $15 for ONE server and ONE character, let alone $40 for my premie subscription. AE has shitty customer service, but at least it's cheaper, and I get to go, OOOH PRETTY DRAGON.

It's a shame, 'cause I was still hoping there'd be some stuff in DR to go back to. I haven't played significantly/at all since November, while still giving them money. Oh well. I'm calling in tomorrow.

I'll bet it was Whatley and that damned engagement ring. <mutters>

~Mirsathia
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Simutronics has a simple policy: If we can get away with it, we will. See, people have lots of friends, lots of community and they don't want to lose those links. They also have a lot of time invested in their characters and so on to consider. So, Simutronics can charge more and feel okay with it because most people don't want to give all that up and they'll just look for money in their couch cushions.

If anyone doubted this mentality -- and this is why I posted this post now in reply -- look at TF. It has no dedicated staff for it specifically last I hear. If it does, it can't be more than one or two people. It has no level of special support, and yet its customers get charged more. Why? Because they can -- TF is in great part composed of players who can't play the other Simutronics offerings.

Anyone who doubts Simu will continue to raise rates directly, or charge you more in other methods such as special services, is really setting themselves up for disappointment. This is a trend that is bound to continue, because the company doesn't operate out of love for its players or games.

Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So, Simutronics can charge more and feel okay with it because most people don't want to give all that up and they'll just look for money in their couch cushions.

Hey kiddies, ya wanna do some DR? The first month's free...

Mwah. I left there after they raised it to 12 and decided not to include even a single extra character slot. I actually thought they were good guys when they moved to the web as opposed to staying with AOL and going with an hourly charge. Funny how the more money a company makes, the more it wants. Sweet sweet capitalism.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Heh yea. I just recently put my DR account up for sale. Ive always said this about SIMU and I'll most likely continue to say it as long as it's true.

The measure of SIMU's cheapness is the fact that they still dont have a toll free phone number. They have been in buisness for years and have customers from all parts of the world yet no toll free number for them to call.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So, Simutronics can charge more and feel okay with it because most people don't want to give all that up and they'll just look for money in their couch cushions.

What a lovely thing to wake up to.

Well, I still had my DR account open, even though I really haven't been playing. I was fed up with the attitudes mostly. Posting on the boards was a joke, most likely you were ignored totally by staff, sometimes they responded with nastiness, and occasionally you'd actually get someone who responded politely, even if only to tell you that everything was working as it was supposed to, or you were wrong for even considering something was broken. I'm not referring to the kinds of negative posts which are "OMG, you people suck, this is the worst change ever!" I'm referring to politely put sincere posts asking questions, requesting assistance, and making suggestions.

I believe, after this, I'm going to start selling everything. Items, characters, etc. My best friend has already closed her account and isn't playing DR at all. My husband still plays, but I think after another rate increase, he's probably going to want to close his too. My one IG boyfriend is still playing DR, but he's also playing HR...and he may not wish to pay Simu more money either.

How can they even defend the prices? This is what I don't understand. I've tried several other products and *none* of them charge even close to what Simutronics does.

Ugh, just makes me even more disgusted than I've been in the past.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject:

I see people bashing pricier rates on text based games than graphical ones, and THAT I can defend. For one, they're apples and oranges. For two, you just get a different kind of service. Custom alterations? GM assisted weddings? Specialized exclusively run quests? You won't find any of that in a graphical game and it all requires special staff attention.

But yeah, I don't know how anyone can defend charging $40 for what really is a standard account with the options you'd expect to have normally.

Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I see people bashing pricier rates on text based games than graphical ones, and THAT I can defend. For one, they're apples and oranges. For two, you just get a different kind of service. Custom alterations? GM assisted weddings? Specialized exclusively run quests? You won't find any of that in a graphical game and it all requires special staff attention.

But yeah, I don't know how anyone can defend charging $40 for what really is a standard account with the options you'd expect to have normally.

I don't know about other people, but I wasn't personally comparing graphic games with text games. I was comparing all the other text games I've played with DR. I just can't see paying them $40 a month (far and above anything I've ever paid for any other text-based game) to play a game which has the worst (currently) customer service department I've ever seen.

Of course, the above is my own personal opinion. I can't say I'm angry, or even frustrated. I was that a long time ago. I'm just done now...resigned...that they will not make more money off of me.

Besides, I'm having far more fun lately playing HR. Smile

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject:

Sorry, let me clarify. I was talking about things I've seen / heard outside of this forum both before and recently. I knew what you meant -- and you are correct. Wink

Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject:

They aren't even keeping up with the regular MMORPGs, there is only two I know of that get away with charging around 15, thats SWG, and FFXI. Both suck in my opinion and can only do that because of their name and theme. The two best MMORPGs in my opinion (I guess you could count MUDs as MMORPGs but I'm not) are DAoC and Asherons Call...there is no way DR can say their game is better than either of them, though if they're trying to say they're as good as SWG or FFXI... Rolling Eyes .
PSOUZA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject:

In case anyone's wondering, their announcement is posted here (and possibly elsewhere):

http://www.play.net/dr/account/account_faq.asp

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject:

My DR account is cancelled. I have yet to decide on what to do about AOH. All I keep hearing about on the Simu boards is David Whatley's gold toilet seat he'll be sitting (shitting) on soon. heh. Just everyone be prepared for a huge influx of new players, this is great for HR and I'm not sorry to see new blood coming in. Let's make them all welcome! ::cackles:: GO HAELRAHV!!!!!!!
Graypaws

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: One reason to keep raising their prices.....

The know they are on a sinking ship and wish to squeeze as much out of it before it finally goes under. Sooner or later all you will have left in DR are those that used to have 3 or more accounts playing with just one. Simutronics has a history of not caring about anything other then the almighty greenback. I was a Mentor and beta tester for DR and an Assistant GM for Gemstone. It gave me a different viewpoint to see the way things were changing. Simutronics started to see the gaming industry in this way, as far as text based games go, there was the best (Simutronics) and then there was everything else. So when your on the top you get to make the rules. As far as being able to charge more for a game because you offer more player specific things like quests, wedddings and so on, that would only fly if you didnt in term charge even more for the quests/weddings. Premium service allows for money transfer, more character slots, homes (heh, what a joke), hunting areas (see homes), extra vault space and LTBs (shouldnt this be for anyone that has been in DR for an extended period of time?). Now, in comparison to other games, is that really worth 40 dollars? I play ultima online and for 12.95 I get money transfer, 5 character slots (per shard) 4 worlds (per shard), Homes (which are far better then any other game Ive seen) and LTBs. Now I will always have fond memories of DR and GS3 as they were my first online gaming experiences. All things come to an end.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Just For A Laugh ... » This folder seemed appropriate.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: