Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Luck stats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Luck stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about "luck" type stats that cause your ability to do things to vary somewhat day by day?
It provides extra fun and unpredictability.
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
I'd rather have consistent performance I can rely on.
40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
I don't have an opinion.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Luck stats

I have my own opinion on this, but I thought I'd get yours. Thanks Smile

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Luck could be fun, perhaps even profitable, and it would be a nice twist to know that now and then you might actually be able to pull off amazing feats of skill due to the luck of the "dice."

But by the same token, if I'm facing a rabid pack of eteochs and I'm the only fleshy, chewy thing in sight...I want to have the peace of mind to know that my "luck" won't suddenly turn bad and I end up as mince meat due to this random factor.

There is and always will be the chance to get "snake eyes" or "the natural 20", but having this extra thing thrown during every check in that randomly varies from good to bad will mess things up a bit more than just the good/bad roll will.
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Luck is overrated.
Uber

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I believe that luck plays an important role in a character. It can slightly enhance one's ability to do things (ie. Chance to hit, chance to find X item, etc.)

Luck should only affect the character SLIGHTLY.
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject:

What would be cool would be "predictable luck". Maybe based on the position of the moons and stars, and your birthday. With alot of research, people could figure it out roughly, kinda like astrology. I donno if we're even having any systems relating to stars, so it might not work...just a thought.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject:

Kinda like biorhythms... something I have thought once or tiwice about adding. Wink

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject:

Biorhythms are overrated, too.
balihai

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject:

While luck could be a fun thing, ..playing a Medic I'd be all against it.

I would rather have consistent skill working for me when its "someone else's life in the balance." Heh, so serious.

If it was slight,...or...if it wasn't necessarily a fault of your own.. (ie, an equipment malfunction) then I think it would be more tolerable.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject:

In past experience as a game designer, I had part in implementing a luck stat that randomly changed, usually once a day or more for players who played a lot. This luck stat could have a number of effects, but generally you had very bad luck, bad luck, neutral luck, good luck or very good luck.

In my experience, the stat did provide variety, but also frustration because it was a "hidden" stat and no one was informed what their luck is -- in fact, no one on staff admitted such a thing existed and carefully hedged around that issue to try to keep it a secret... because after all, none of us understand luck IRL, and some of us don't believe it exists.

However, this caused a ton of confusion. Players regularly were frustrated because things they could do one day, they had no chance of doing another day. They didn't understand why, and they didn't like it. I don't know, however, if they would have liked it more if they knew it was a luck stat and that they got good luck just as often as bad luck.

Right now, I'm probably not for a luck stat. If we do have one, however, everyone will know it exists and possibly even have a way to find out what it is. The mystique factor just doesn't seem worth the cost in confusion and frustration.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject:

If you do implement a luck stat and it won't be shown on the INFO command.. list.. thing.. you could always make us buy/steal/whatever a coin that we could flip, and whatever side it comes up on will tell us what our luck is like.

::Stare:: God, I need more sleep. Geez.

--William, going to find the Nyquil..

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject:

--William, going to find the Nyquil..

"Nyquil comes in two colors, red and green. It's the only thing on Earth that tastes like ... red and green. And red and green are what? Christmas colors. That's right, Nyquil makes a dandy eggnog. Oh sure my friends didn't like it much 'Man this tastes like shit!' ... but later that night we had a nice sleepover." -- Lewis Black

Back to top »
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I really have never had anything bad to say about a luck stat actually I prefer it and prefer it hidden and untrainable. I mean really it's just not fun to me if we kill everything on level and not take any hits on our character or an attack gets fumbled.

PK
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject:

PepsiKing wrote:
I mean really it's just not fun to me if we kill everything on level and not take any hits on our character or an attack gets fumbled.

That's where the "snake eyes" thing comes in! Maybe the occasional Zoha crit too. You know...where you as a 30th circle character walk through a newbie hunting ground and something there manages to remove your spinal cord and tie it into a square knot or something. The bad roll thing. That will always be there regardless of whether a luck stat exists or not. (I believe...Wink)
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject:

PepsiKing wrote:
I really have never had anything bad to say about a luck stat actually I prefer it and prefer it hidden and untrainable. I mean really it's just not fun to me if we kill everything on level and not take any hits on our character or an attack gets fumbled.

No no, thats something completely different. Thats randomness, not luck, per see.

Combat checks of offense numbers against defense numbers and has a build in randomness to it, seperate from any kind of luck stat thing. If there was some kind of luck stat, that would first effect your normal ranks in things (make those 100 ranks act like just 80), and then the built in combat randomness would take a bite at the new number. So, ouch.
glit

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Players regularly were frustrated because things they could do one day, they had no chance of doing another day. They didn't understand why, and they didn't like it. I don't know, however, if they would have liked it more if they knew it was a luck stat and that they got good luck just as often as bad luck.

ew. so that's why yesterday i could heal my wounds 'somewhat' and today only 'slightly'. as an fyi: i don't like it any better now that i know why. Mad
i asked for something, i've not got it yet
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Luck stats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: