Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Questions

What are the levels of balance... ex. Is fairly well balanced better than balanced? What skills help with balance? Does the chance to roll back to your feet depend on the critter you're fighting? Or do you have the same chance to roll back up against an asapi as you do against a guard (with the same amt. of acro)? It's been said that critters have 2x their level in all skills... what about stats? Are they about on-par with the critter's level? Except they're min/maxed (100 str, 100 vit, 0 intel, etc.) like crazy. Mmmm... think that's it for now.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Interesting you bring this up because I have realized recently that balance needs some adjustments and so I'll be tweaking some. Anyway...

What are the levels of balance... ex. Is fairly well balanced better than balanced?

terribly, badly, poorly, balanced, fairly well, well, incredibly.

What skills help with balance?

The prime factors in balance are whether you hit or miss when attacking, defend or not when defending, and agility. Being knocked down has disastrous effects on balance. No skill helps with balance. Stance does affect balance.

The roundtime on attacks has a role in how "large" the balance adjustment is. Slower weapons will have a more dramatic effect on balance, be that a large upward surge or a larger downward push to poorer balance. Fast attacks will have little effect on balance but add up.

Does the chance to roll back to your feet depend on the critter you're fighting? Or do you have the same chance to roll back up against an asapi as you do against a guard (with the same amt. of acro)?

It's based on Acro skill and what you're fighting is not relevant. There is a diminishing returns factor here, so that further acro training to very high levels does help, but very little. After about 100 ranks or so, you have a good portion of the bounce back ability you'll ever have, but you can improve it more by some measure if you keep training.

It's been said that critters have 2x their level in all skills... what about stats? Are they about on-par with the critter's level? Except they're min/maxed (100 str, 100 vit, 0 intel, etc.) like crazy.

First on skills: Yes they have 2x level, but as per the news, this is changing soon... to something between 2.5x and 3.0x ... to be determined. Very soon.

On stats, each critter type is assigned unique stats we feel are on part with their level, but there are times when they may be a bit wacky. Each critter is unique in that one level 25 critter may have high defense and attack but low hp for its level.. or another critter of the same level may be more evenly balanced for its level. The health, stamina and focus points of each critter vary. There are some with incredibly high HP for their level but we try to balance that out with stat hits.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
First on skills: Yes they have 2x level, but as per the news, this is changing soon... to something between 2.5x and 3.0x ... to be determined. Very soon.

Ah, yeah, that was another question I had. Will xp and treasure be adjusted as well? Because right now, (depending on profession and stats) a level 20 person can usually fight a level 20 critter without too much risk. But if the critter's skills get adjusted, then the player will have as much chance of death as the critter does, so most people are going to choose to fight below their level.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject:

This is one reason why I am looking at the 2.5ish or 2.6ish or so rate instead of 3. No one should have trouble hitting things on their own level, at least most of the time, but depending on the situation they probably will take some hits (and ... you should).

Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
This is one reason why I am looking at the 2.5ish or 2.6ish or so rate instead of 3. No one should have trouble hitting things on their own level, at least most of the time, but depending on the situation they probably will take some hits (and ... you should).

Where are creatures over level 67 going to stand? I mean, we'll still be able to train stats past level 67, but not skills.

It seems to me that a level 100 creature would be something even level 100 characters can't hit unless they have some gaping vulnerability. This is, of course, not necessarily a bad thing, but in the absence of an engagement system would make such creatures all but pointless until Live.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I agree that you should be able to take hits, but I didn't think you should get hit as much as you hit the critter. 2.5ish sounds like it would work well.

Ah, speaking of hits... hmm... hard to phrase this question. Let's say you can get hit by chiths. When they hit you, is there an equal chance of it being an instant-death critical as, say, a guard hitting you?
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double-post.

Well, if Trevor goes with 2.5/2.6 instead of 3, critters could get up to around level 80 without maxing their skills... but they'd have the exact same skills as a level 67-99 character, which wouldn't make them a desirable opponent...

Anyway, I think that xp is based on your skills instead of your level, so you could fight a level 67 critter (and gain xp) until you reach 100th (and then the cap will go away). At least, I think that's how it'd work.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Until there are level 100 critters, we'd probably stop making higher level critters once we reach the 200-skill mark.... which we're already only 5 levels short of since Modan's are 75. At that point, offering variety in what to hunt and filling in level gaps would be the thing to do.

But I'm also looking at low and mid level ranges too. I'd like to add some stuff fairly soon that is level 5-15 or so and carries boxes, for the younger folks who probably feel options are limited to some degree.

Back to top »
drainm2

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What skills help with balance?

The prime factors in balance are whether you hit or miss when attacking, defend or not when defending, and agility. Being knocked down has disastrous effects on balance. No skill helps with balance. Stance does affect balance.

Maybe im just a crazy kinda guy but shouldnt acrobatics and maybe even athletics be useful in keeping/maintaining balance? Acrobatics for the ability to step in a manner that is both fitting for your defensive posture while maintaining a formidable stance that is effective. Athletics - trying in with stamina/fatigue - to maintain the energy to move around as much and as fast to move out of the way or to the position you wish to acquire a posture best suited for your balance and defense? Those 2 are skills I think should play a fairly good size role in combat, specifically in defense for ranged and melee for offense and defense for melee when the engagement system comes round in Live. Anyone else concur or should I shut up...about 5 minutes ago?

Quote:
[COMM[1]] "(Neifl Cacambo) - rose mageylan You don't understand, I just wanted him for sex. It's you I really love."
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject:

Do you guys really want two more skills to train right now? <grin>

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Yes, since I triple train Acrobatics and Athletics already.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Just out of curiosity as it related to this issue, I decided to see how many people have trained those skills.

Athletics is the 14th most trained skill - 3511 trains.
Acrobatics is the 19th most trained skill - 2803 trains.

Just for fun comparison, the top 5
Evasion - 10018
Unarmed - 8581
Ecology - 7407
Stealth - 6849
Bladed - 5772

These numbers are for the last few months, I accidentally wiped the tracking table a while back.

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Whaaa more athletics than acrobatics? Acrobatics is way better.

And I'm totally surprised that parry isn't up there, seeing how it is, in fact, better than evasion.

Oh, and, hmm... about the topic. I don't see how athletics would play a major role in balance. Acrobatics, maybe. But only if you evade an attack and can nimbly dance around and get a better position. If you parry an attack or roundhouse somebody in the face, I don't think acrobatics or athletics would affect balance too much.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:

From a mechanics standpoint, the only way to realistically apply both anyway would be to in some way water down each of them in terms of importance.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject:

See, I knew Unarmed was trained by almost everybody. Psht.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: