FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
What us trackers need.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » What us trackers need.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: What us trackers need.

I know I posted this in the roll call but just in case non of you other trackers have read that thread here it is again:

If anyone has any good ideas or thoughts that might turn into an ability or bonus of some kind for trackers, please post it. I feel like trackers are getting the short end of the stick, and maybe some positive suggestions or feedback would help Trevor and the staff realize how much we want something to happen for our profession.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I think an ability to set up traps in the woods would be cool . .to catch critters. . .come back and check your traps and skin them if you caught anything. . or reset/rebait them if they need it.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Zoz and I (yes, Zoz) were talking about some ideas a while back but he's been out of action for a while. Maybe I'll toss a couple in.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Crayzbum

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject:

Thought maybe be nice to get a reduced skin'n time and more exceptional pelts etc...
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:

You actually do get both, to some degree.

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
>[Telepathy] Tao Shadowstalker projects: that place is evil. anyways, Trackers are only good at foraging, fishing, mining, craftsmanship and now tailoring.

I don't see what you're getting at here. Mercenaries are only good at offense. Troopers are only good at defense. I mean, I'm sorry that your profession only has 5 different areas that they excel in. That's a bummer.

And Trackers can triple-train evasion and parry. I know they can only double-train armor, but after you work off an encumberance, high armor skill doesn't matter.

Unless this was sarcasm and I missed it, I really don't think this bitterness is necessary.
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
after you work off an encumberance, high armor skill doesn't matter

Assuming you mean hindrance..doesn't it still lower RT? And also, is this always going to be the case? Or are there going to be armors which hinder more and therefore protect more?
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Assuming you mean hindrance..doesn't it still lower RT?

Not unless you get naked a lot.

And the highest armor in the game right now requires 110 skill to use with no encumberance, after that, the skill does nothing but give you titles (and the best one is at 80 anyways).

Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing some better armors eventually...

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
Moriath

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject:

As a Tracker that uses bow alot, I would like to be able to snipe.
Mak

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject:

*mumbles, "I know you've asked for ideas, suggestions, and feedback on some ideas for Trackers, well I haven't had a chance to read through all of the past posts and threads so I know it possible that I'm reiterating an idea. Even repeating a thought may enforce the feeling that we do, indeed, want new skills. So with that said I'll list some thoughts for skills and a brief description of them:

Bowyer - I know we have the ability to make bows with woodcrafting, but perhaps with our knowledge of the land, we should have a small bonus to the making of bows in particular.

Fletching - Trackers are able to make or improve the quality of arrows, using just the materials available to them in the great outdoors.

Forest Call - Trackers have the ability to call animals to their assistance when fighting in forested areas. While with this ability a Tracker is not able to control the animals, they will briefly come to the Trackers aid in combat.

Lay Sign - Trackers can leave secret messages for one another to read, they remain totally hidden to others.

Make Fire - Trackers being outdoor types are able to build a campfire to provide light and warmth on those dark nights in the wilderness. Should be able to do so without a match or lighter.

Pursue Foe - A Tracker can follow an enemy without their permission, making it very hard to run away from a Tracker.

Ranged Shot - A Tracker can shoot a bow with accuracy even at a greater distance, using this skill the Tracker can shoot an enemy in an adjacent room.

Rescue - Ability to protect those only in their group....the creature will ONLY attack the Tracker instead of randomly hitting those in the room.

Scanning - The Tracker can see the contents of any area up to 3 rooms away

Second Wind - A Tracker, when on the verge of exhaustion can call upon this ability to get a last surge of energy with which they can try to slay their foe.

Skewer - Based on the Feint ability, but has been refined at higher levels, so that instead of allowing the Tracker a couple of extra attacks, they instead go for a single extremely accurate strike upon a foe.

Snaring - A Tracker is able to set several different types of trap to catch their prey. From spiked pit traps to tripwires, this skill can be very deadly when used right.

Symbiosis - This ability demonstrates the true relationship between the Tracker and their animal companions. While under this ability, the Tracker and an animal companion share health points, if the animal dies in combat, the Tracker will take a large portion of the health points the animal had just before the killing blow, in damage.

Taxidermy - Not sure WHY we would need this, but perhaps there are some who would like to remember there victims or their animal companions, which have died.

Veterinary - The Tracker can heal animals at a faster rate then their own natural healing speed.

Whistle - Trackers have a great affinity with the animals of the forests and often these animals have been known to help Trackers out in times of need. The whistle skill is used by the Trackers to call upon the small forest birds to distract their opponents in combat.

Thanks for listening to this poor woodsman's babbling."

Beware the eye!
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the ideas. Some response...

>>Bowyer - I know we have the ability to make bows with woodcrafting, but perhaps with our knowledge of the land, we should have a small bonus to the making of bows in particular.

Trackers already have a bonus to fletching, and all woodworking.

>>Forest Call - Trackers have the ability to call animals to their assistance when fighting in forested areas. While with this ability a Tracker is not able to control the animals, they will briefly come to the Trackers aid in combat.

I have actually pondered something similar.

>>Lay Sign - Trackers can leave secret messages for one another to read, they remain totally hidden to others.

Not sure how useful it'd be but it falls under the "fun" ideas category.

>>Make Fire - Trackers being outdoor types are able to build a campfire to provide light and warmth on those dark nights in the wilderness. Should be able to do so without a match or lighter.

You can build fires now, the only difference is the lighter/match requirement.

>>Pursue Foe - A Tracker can follow an enemy without their permission, making it very hard to run away from a Tracker.

How would this work exactly?

>>Ranged Shot - A Tracker can shoot a bow with accuracy even at a greater distance, using this skill the Tracker can shoot an enemy in an adjacent room.

The only problem I see here is the likelihood of making combat too easy for that Tracker. Perhaps if they took a large accuracy penalty and if critters were smart enough to chase them down...

>>Rescue - Ability to protect those only in their group....the creature will ONLY attack the Tracker instead of randomly hitting those in the room.

I think this would be more suited to Troopers, really. Even more suited to Mercs than Trackers. It could be an "everyone" ability with Troopers getting bonuses and Trackers getting bonuses only in certain wilderness terrains.

>>Scanning - The Tracker can see the contents of any area up to 3 rooms away

Wow, binoculars let you see two rooms... a Tracker seeing 3 with naked eyes?

>>Second Wind - A Tracker, when on the verge of exhaustion can call upon this ability to get a last surge of energy with which they can try to slay their foe.

This seems more suited to Mercenaries.

>>Skewer - Based on the Feint ability, but has been refined at higher levels, so that instead of allowing the Tracker a couple of extra attacks, they instead go for a single extremely accurate strike upon a foe.

I have considered a piercing attack for all professions called Skewer. Trackers aren't particularly known for their bladed/polearm ability though.

>>Snaring - A Tracker is able to set several different types of trap to catch their prey. From spiked pit traps to tripwires, this skill can be very deadly when used right.

Already on the table for consideration. Wink

>>Symbiosis - This ability demonstrates the true relationship between the Tracker and their animal companions. While under this ability, the Tracker and an animal companion share health points, if the animal dies in combat, the Tracker will take a large portion of the health points the animal had just before the killing blow, in damage.

This would be fine if we accept that Trackers have some innate magical ability, or if they need to train magic / psi related skills to use it.

>>Taxidermy - Not sure WHY we would need this, but perhaps there are some who would like to remember there victims or their animal companions, which have died.

Mounting trophies in homes? Another one of those not so useful but fun skills.

>>Veterinary - The Tracker can heal animals at a faster rate then their own natural healing speed.

A reasonable ability for Tracker types.

>>Whistle - Trackers have a great affinity with the animals of the forests and often these animals have been known to help Trackers out in times of need. The whistle skill is used by the Trackers to call upon the small forest birds to distract their opponents in combat.

Also an idea like one I've been considering.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
>>Pursue Foe - A Tracker can follow an enemy without their permission, making it very hard to run away from a Tracker.

I think it'd be nice if you could make a forced, immediate stalk on someone (including NPCs) if in hiding and in a wilderness area. Or a forced join-group if not hiding, able to bypass avoids? The former would be better, I think.

Quote:
>>Symbiosis - This ability demonstrates the true relationship between the Tracker and their animal companions. While under this ability, the Tracker and an animal companion share health points, if the animal dies in combat, the Tracker will take a large portion of the health points the animal had just before the killing blow, in damage.

This would be fine if we accept that Trackers have some innate magical ability, or if they need to train magic / psi related skills to use it.

I've been hoping for something like this. Not necessarily the suggested ability.. but the fact that if anyone trained spell research or occult lore then, possibly, they might be able to learn some quirky -- and somewhat magical/psi-y -- ability specific to their profession sometime in the future. It would probably get complicated to smooth out, so I never bothered to bring it up before.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Symbiosis - This ability demonstrates the true relationship between the Tracker and their animal companions. While under this ability, the Tracker and an animal companion share health points, if the animal dies in combat, the Tracker will take a large portion of the health points the animal had just before the killing blow, in damage.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If like I think it was Hunter said, in live it might be split between wilderness and plant lore then I would think that wilderness lore could possibly full under this and a few of the other suggestions.

~Ina
Mak

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:

*Mumbles, " Like I was trying to say, I knew most of them have already been thought of, I also knew that many of them were probably already in the works or even in game. I'm still fairly new to the lands so I don't know everything that's out there, such as the binoculars. These were just thoughts off the top of my head for others to ponder and possibly brainstorm better solutions, nothing was meant to be set in stone as they are, and I don't see some of them as Tracker only. I'm the type that if I do have a solid idea, I will give full details of what I envision.

Let me just say:

Quote:
Trackers already have a bonus to fletching, and all woodworking.

I like the idea of bonuses to woodworking, wasn't sure that we actually got one other then the ability to triple train it. Didn't even know we had fletching...which is why I said what I said at the beginning.

Quote:
You can build fires now, the only difference is the lighter/match requirement.

I know we can build fires, but I see the rural side of the Trackers as true nature-loving rangers, they wouldn't be running back and forth to town to refill a lighter or buy new matches. They would already know how to start a fire just using some leaves and a couple of sticks. Granted, just using a lighter/match is quick and easy because it's only one action, where using the sticks might require a few. But it would be a bit more fun for a few out there. Maybe not.

Quote:
Quote:
Pursue Foe - A Tracker can follow an enemy without their permission, making it very hard to run away from a Tracker.

Perhaps something in tandem with Track. If the Tracker (bounty hunter) actually see's a person their after, and that person runs, this skill would actually have the Tracker follow their prey automagically. It can be limited to chasing them until either the prey is found again, or the ranger runs out of steam (stamina). Tracking would find the person, after which the chase is on so to speak. Again, can be used for the different prof's that would need to chase down suspects, etc. I don't see all the details fully, but thought someone might get a thought from it.

Quote:
The only problem I see here is the likelihood of making combat too easy for that Tracker. Perhaps if they took a large accuracy penalty and if critters were smart enough to chase them down.

I don't see a problem with taking a penalty if trying to take shots a room away...or with having the creature chase us down. Might be fun to have a wild chase through the forest.

Quote:
Rescue - I think this would be more suited to Troopers, really. Even more suited to Mercs than Trackers. It could be an "everyone" ability with Troopers getting bonuses and Trackers getting bonuses only in certain wilderness terrains.

Actually I was thinking this more suited to those with higher ecology because they could *read* the creatures body/stances and know when they're going to strike and where...thus being able to jump in front of the attack, protecting those they choose or in their group.

Quote:
Wow, binoculars let you see two rooms... a Tracker seeing 3 with naked eyes?

This would be why I tend to avoid people, and just stick to nature...less patronizing of a youngin trying to stir up some creative juices in others. I didn't even KNOW we had binoculars. Again, I don't see a true rural Tracker/Ranger running to town just to grab a set when they drop their old one and it breaks a lens. Perhaps we can make the binoculars actually see the 3 rooms away, and the Tracker see 2 away. Just a thought.

Quote:
Second Wind - This seems more suited to Mercenaries.

Actually it can be anyone, if they train certain stats/skills. I see it doable by Trackers in the fact that they'd know plants give off oxygen, and they can use their ecology of said things to concentrate their breathing to utilize it...I don't know, I'm a Tracker, not a scientist but I do know how to control my breathing and find spots with high density plant life to filter my air intake. Mercs would just use their own inner stamina and gusto.

Quote:
Skewer - I have considered a piercing attack for all professions called Skewer. Trackers aren't particularly known for their bladed/polearm ability though.

Actually Skewer wasn't meant to make it into the Tracker list. I had written up a few skills in general, such as the Feint mentioned in the Skewer's blurb. I missed it and it got sent by mistake...

Quote:
>>Symbiosis - This would be fine if we accept that Trackers have some innate magical ability, or if they need to train magic / psi related skills to use it.

This would NOT be a magical skill, but more a symbol of the love and bond the Tracker has with his/her animals. It can be demonstrated in actual situations in our other world. When a pet dies, its owner is definately gonna feel a hole in their life, and grieve for days, if not longer. During that period of grieving, they will do what needs to be done, but their heart just isn't into it. Perhaps just make this skill work in a different manner. For example - Have both master and animal work at a bonus while they're together, if they're separated they work at normal levels, but if the animal dies, the Tracker takes penalties because they're in grieving. Nothing magical about it.

But in my own defense from further comments that sound patronizing, I DID say that they were just thoughts, that I was young and don't know what IS and ISN'T in game just yet, and don't expect these to be Tracker -only in all instances.

If the comments weren't intended as they sounded, then I apologize. I can only go on how they sound to me.

Beware the eye!
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But in my own defense from further comments that sound patronizing, I DID say that they were just thoughts, that I was young and don't know what IS and ISN'T in game just yet, and don't expect these to be Tracker -only in all instances.

I think some of your thoughts were great and if more come to mind, please feel free to post them.

Quote:
but I see the rural side of the Trackers as true nature-loving rangers

Yes, I too saw Trackers as rangers, skilled hunters because of their knowledge of land, plants and critters around them. And as hunters trying to survive and life off the land, they should be able to skillful in the use of a bow(which they are), non-pulse guns(for that modern day hunter), spears(living off the land primitive type of hunting), and blades(there should be some type of formula where the blade skill along with the skinning skill makes ya get more better skins). It might be the many years of playing DR that I feel this way. But when I read the description of Trackers:
Code:
Trackers are at home outside of civilization, in the wilds. They have a deep understanding of plants, animals and the interactions between both. They are excellent at tracking, trapping, skinning, handling animals, forestry and so on.

I still see them as hunters/rangers types.

Tao
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » What us trackers need.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: