FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
a few questions and ideas
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » a few questions and ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevonne

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: a few questions and ideas

I've been reading alot about guardians and they sound really interesting. And I have a few questions.

What determines when you are able to learn a spell? Research, Spell Research, Spell Casting, Occult Lore? I don't understand what the differences between them all. Are certain skills better for mage spells and others more useful for psionic type spells? If you want to cast spells, should you train in ALL of these things?

Does everyone sit down when they meditate? I'm assuming that meditations are something that you prepare yourself for before you go and fight as opposed to something to be done in the heat of a battle. Is this right?

I was thinking of a few things too, and if these have been suggested or are totally not-feasible, just drag me over hot coals.

Guardians have alot of limitations considering they can't use weapons or armor. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a choice they make in exchange for other advantages. Since unarmed moves are basically all they have to use, I would like to see a few more. They don't necassarily have to be Guardian-only but there is one that I WOULD like to see specifically for them. If you hold 2 blades in your hands and slash a creature, you automatically slash twice without the tiredness of a doubleslash. If you only have 1 blade, you are still able to doubleslash, tho it makes you tired. For Guardians, they can't use a weapon ever and seems like they can never ever have a doubleslash (I could be wrong about the never part). I'd like to see some type of double-attack for guardians. It seems reasonable that a guardian should be able to pull off a double-punch (one with each hand) without getting too tired and maybe even 4 quick punches with the fatigue. I think it would also be neat if they could have a combo-hit. Like sweep+jab in one move (that's just an example).

Another thing i would like to see (again this doesn't have to be just for guardians, but for all unarmed users) is some type of STOMP move for when your opponent is on the ground. Say that you sweep your opponent off their feet, I'd like to be able to step on their neck or something while they're down there. This might not be as useful as I'm picturing it, tho.

None of these suggestions are really guardian-only but, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they deserved some unarmed moves that only they could do due to their years of training and getting in tune with their bodies. While other professions can choose the unarmed proficiency, guardians spend years and years perfecting thiers.

thanks,
Chevonne
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What determines when you are able to learn a spell? Research, Spell Research, Spell Casting, Occult Lore? I don't understand what the differences between them all.

Occult Lore determines how many Psionic Abilities you can get, while Spell Research determines how many Spells you can get. Psionic Ability and Spell Casting, respectively determine the effectiveness of each. Research was going to be our way to learn Sigils, but that's changed (and we won't be getting any Sigils in the test phase, so don't worry about training it unless you're going for alchemy and/or scribing).

Quote:
If you want to cast spells, should you train in ALL of these things?

It's your choice which "path" you take, though it's more economical to choose one and stick with it.

Quote:
Does everyone sit down when they meditate? I'm assuming that meditations are something that you prepare yourself for before you go and fight as opposed to something to be done in the heat of a battle. Is this right?

Yes, you sit down when you meditate.. there's no way around that. It'd be neat if Hunter would let us do it standing up, though, at a higher level of course (even though you still wouldn't want to meditate in combat).

Quote:
Combat Suggestions

I think Hunter said he'd was going to try and get us (both Guardian and non alike) combination moves, though they wouldn't be around until Live most likely.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Research, Spell Research, Spell Casting, Occult Lore? I don't understand what the differences between them all.

Research - How quickly you can learn an alchemy tome.
Spell Research - How quickly you can learn mage spells, and song scrolls.
Spell Casting - How well you cast your spells. (I assume)
Occult Lore - Factors into learning psionics.

There was at one point a skills list posted to the boards, it can be found at Kelasa's site here : http://kelasa.haelrahv.net/

Quote:
Guardians have alot of limitations considering they can't use weapons or armor.

Lots of people can only afford to specialize in a singe combat type. Armor takes tons of skill to use, so you're not missing out on much there. I agree that guardians should be able to do something akin to a "1,2 punch," or have other combat techniques all their own.

Quote:
I think it would also be neat if they could have a combo-hit. Like sweep+jab in one move (that's just an example).

I don't know if things function like this right now, but in live I believe certain combinations of moves, done one after the other will be much more effective than other combinations of moves. ie: Sweep, then kick, might do double the damage of sweep, then punch. Being able to choose the right sequence of moves automatically might be a viable Guardian skill.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Being able to choose the right sequence of moves automatically might be a viable Guardian skill.

Then you'll just get "pet Guardians" so people'll know the combinations. I know, for one, that William wouldn't help others figure out his routine (if only because he sees Unarmed Combat to be his profession's only means of defense, and once you start telling people your secrets they inevitably find the weakness with it), and I would hope that the other Guardians wouldn't just teach their routines blatantly over the comms, either. But hey, what do I know; it'd still be a nice benefit.

--William

PS: I still vote for Unarmed only being triple-trainable by Guardians, by the way.

PPS: Dude.. like, whoa. What if every character was generated with a completely random set of Unarmed moves that, when used in the right order, would equate to an ubar-death-shot (exaggeration, but I've suddenly lost my ability to explain things correctly)? Guardians would then be able to only know -- after a certain level (15?) + kill in Unarmed -- their random set, if they haven't figured it out yet for themselves. Then, maybe after another level hurdle (30?), they could figure out another person's after watching them beat on things for a period of time. This would still cause a few pets to be created, but the time investment of 30 levels would be a good deterrant for most.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your feedback, Chevonne. Essentially all of your ideas have been suggested before and are very likely to be incorporated into Haelrahv in the future. Most in "live", but there is a chance for some of it in the test game, incl. possibly more unarmed moves.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yes, you sit down when you meditate.. there's no way around that. It'd be neat if Hunter would let us do it standing up, though, at a higher level of course (even though you still wouldn't want to meditate in combat).

It's already been in there since the begining, seems people just haven't trained the right thing to the right amount yet to find out. Cool
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Shocked

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Haw. *points and laughs at Will*
Kelasa

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject:

It seems that you only sit down when you do a base Meditate, but not when you meditate (power).
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It seems that you only sit down when you do a base Meditate, but not when you meditate (power).

This is also true, but even for a base meditate if something is high enough then you can do it standing.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject:

What the heck, Hunter? Crying or Very sad Haven't I been a good, faithful minion? And you never told me?

--William

PS: At least tell me if it's a stat or skill?

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
PS: At least tell me if it's a stat or skill?

Yes, yes it is. Twisted Evil
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
PPS: Dude.. like, whoa. What if every character was generated with a completely random set of Unarmed moves that, when used in the right order, would equate to an ubar-death-shot

Like Arts and Miracle Arts in Legend of Legaia. You'll know what I'm talking about if you played the game. If you haven't played it, post and I'll explain.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject:

<posts>

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
<posts>

Alright then, Legend of Legaia was an RPG, except instead of just choosing "attack" like you would in, say, FF7, you choose a combination of attacks. Your character would have a certain number of moves (something like 3 to start) and you'd input the commands on the d-pad (up would do a high attack, etc). An attack like up up left would do two upper attacks, and one to the left side of the enemy. Arts and such were strings of attacks that would do some sort of special move, or do extra damage or something (ex. left right left - Hyper Elbow). Then Miracle Arts were REALLY long strings that would be the uber-attack that William said something about (ex. right down left up left up right down right - Vahn's Craze). Kinda like that.

P.S. I looked those moves up, I don't have them memorized, heh.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » a few questions and ideas
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: