FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Overly Negative Attitudes and Posts.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Overly Negative Attitudes and Posts.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Overly Negative Attitudes and Posts.

I've been a gamer all of my life. I've been involved in these kinds of online text games for a while now. And, I've been involved in actually being a staff member on these kinds of games for 6½ years now. In this time, I have become accustomed to the dynamic nature of these games, and the way in which players react to change. It is common, and expected, that people will voice dissatisfaction. Sometimes strong dissatisfaction.

However, I'm noticing a trend lately that includes a lot of blatant insults and statements that are quite inflammatory in nature. I am noticing in return, statements equally inflammatory, both from staff (including myself) and players alike.

I do not think this is productive to the development of Haelrahv, and I have made the decision to derail this type of thing. No, I'm not going to moderate speech here, we've avoided that and I don't feel we need to do that. However, I do have a choice in what posts I will read and respond to.

So, fair warning: If a poster becomes overly inflammatory or insulting, I will simply skip over their posts. If a thread itself is likewise, I will no longer read it. Of course I will not reply to those threads either if I'm not reading them.

So, in closing, if you would like to actually receive feedback and thoughts on your feelings on a subject from yours truly (other perhaps others, I encourage others, including staff, to also follow this practice), you should consider whether what you're saying is insulting or inflammatory.

Stating a controversial opinion is fine. Being negative about something you dislike is fine. I don't mind hearing how a system sucks, but if I feel insulted over it because a player is blasting me or that system in an insulting manner, I'm simply going to move to the next thread and promptly forget everything that person had to say.

As we, the staff, are catalysts for change, it would benefit everyone to make thoughtful, englightening posts that intelligently demonstrate your thoughts on a particular subject. Despite whatever my own thoughts on the subject are, I can say for certain that I am much more likely to consider and implement the thoughts and ideas of someone who was considerate enough to consider my own feelings when making a suggestion for change.

So, how about we avoid petty insults, blasting commentary, and actually work to better this game?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Overly Negative Attitudes and Posts.

Due to some posts made recently, I felt the strong need to revive this thread.

HR-Trevor wrote:
Stating a controversial opinion is fine. Being negative about something you dislike is fine. I don't mind hearing how a system sucks, but if I feel insulted over it because a player is blasting me or that system in an insulting manner, I'm simply going to move to the next thread and promptly forget everything that person had to say.

There are certain people (and I'm sure you know who you are) who have lately been intentionally insulting on these boards. Regardless of the reason for it, or even if the people in question simply believe they are being funny/witty, I'm dangerously close to just skipping over all posts made by them, and I can promise I am not the only staff member feeling this way.

If you want your concerns heard and responded to, stop the trolling and the flaming, please.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Overly Negative Attitudes and Posts.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: