Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Laucher updates
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bug Reports » Laucher updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelasa

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Laucher updates

I have noticed that anytime I switch between playing HR and the Simutronics game AoH (alliance of Heros or Hercules and Xena as it's better known) that I have to redownload the launcher. It doesn't happen when I log into HR, then out then back into HR, or when I log into HX, then out then back into HX, but when I go from HR to HX and back to HR every one of those I have to redownload the launcher. And I have noticed that there are two different versions as well, 1.14 and 1.7.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Is it updating the launcher or the wizard? That's very odd, indeed.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject:

The launcher.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else having this issue? Have you tried deleting the launcher and reinstalling it from Simu's site?

Back to top »
Trathyn

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Just in the last week I had the "Launcher" automatically update
itself. I dont play any other games and it only did it the one time
so it's prolly not related to ya problem, but I do know that it was
updated for some other players the same day.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Yeah there was a recent update, but I'm not sure about this issue with the launcher updating many times over and over. Thanks, Trathyn.

Back to top »
PSOUZA

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject:

I've noticed it start to update itself too, which is odd because I can't think of a single necessary upgrade that the Launcher would need to support their products. Could just be my suspicious nature, but whatever it is, it's blockable using one of two methods:

(1) use a personal firewall and block The Launcher's access to the Simutronics update server. This will prevent The Wizard and Launcher updates by denying them access to determine if updates are available.

(2) use ZLauncher, a Simutronics Launcher replacement program. http://www.simu.zinious.com/downloads.php#ZLAUNCHER. I originally built ZLauncher when The Wizard v2.04 came out so that I could stay on 2.03, but it'll work for blocking Launcher updates too.

Either method works and since no update checking is done, both will provide quicker access to all games (no time wasted logging in and out of update servers looking for new versions of software).

If anyone has more info on what the updates appear to be doing, I'd be interested to hear...

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network.

Last edited by PSOUZA on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kelasa

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject:

where do we find zlauncher at, and would using an older version of the game interfere with playing the simu games?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject:

http://simu.zinious.com/downloads.php

Back to top »
PSOUZA

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Kelasa wrote:
where do we find zlauncher at, and would using an older version of the game interfere with playing the simu games?

I edited my original post to include the URL. The BBC code for url has been disabled and I didn't realize that late last night.

Running ZLauncher and/or blocking Simutronics Launcher from accessing the internet should not interfere with playing any Simutronics games and I know that it does not interfere with any of our games at all. I would personally recommend updating The Wizard yourself every time there is a new update and when you feel comfortable installing that update on your own. The last update to The Wizard added some spells to the GemStone menu, renamed GemStone III to GemStone IV, and renamed Hercules & Xena to Alliance Of Heros, if I understand it correctly. There were little other changes and I doubt there will be more in the future since the developers of The Wizard have not otherwise updated it in almost two years. Not to mention their love for eScape, their browser-oriented client.

I designed ZLauncher with the capability to (a) optionally bypass Simutronics Launcher and (b) optionally launch The Wizard or another front end (path/filename required). This means that you can toggle on/off its features but more than that it means that you can have another version of The Wizard (WIZARD2.EXE, for example) in the same folder and toggle on/off ZLauncher's use of one or the other (if you want to switch between two versions of The Wizard, for example).

Eaxia Online is a product of the Role-Players Gaming Network.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bug Reports » Laucher updates
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: