FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Stuff For Trevor to Look At
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Stuff For Trevor to Look At
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Combat Stuff For Trevor to Look At

A few things about combat that currently irritate me:

A> I may be the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the higher end hits (massive, devestating, etc.) doing a bit more damage. Something about the fact that you can take 3-4 devestating strikes to the head doesn't seem that devestating to me.

B> Limb hits should do at least a little vit damage.

C> Psionic abilities that directly relate to combat should use some kind of combat skill/stat related check instead of simply psi resistance. Having a low level psionic able to instantly render much higher level fighting-type character helpless just doesn't seem that balanced to me. The prime culprits here are blindness and paralyze. Blood siphon is a good example of how not to fall into this trap: even though it relies primarily on intellect to actually resist it, it draws from HP, which is based on vitality.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A> I may be the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the higher end hits (massive, devestating, etc.) doing a bit more damage. Something about the fact that you can take 3-4 devestating strikes to the head doesn't seem that devestating to me.

This is such a hard issue. First of all, it's not hard to get devestating hits with the right weapons, even without a large gap in skill between attacker and defender. So, increasing the damage greatly increases the chance of very, very short fights. Very short fights tend to be unhealthy for games like this. I wouldn't sweat it so much if you couldn't aim shots and/or if we didn't have weapons firing 5 shots, but... ouch.

Quote:
B> Limb hits should do at least a little vit damage.

I will probably add hp loss for these hits, if you are above a certain hp threshhold. I don't think a hit to the hand or leg should kill you, no matter how devestating.

Quote:
C> Psionic abilities that directly relate to combat should use some kind of combat skill/stat related check instead of simply psi resistance. Having a low level psionic able to instantly render much higher level fighting-type character helpless just doesn't seem that balanced to me. The prime culprits here are blindness and paralyze. Blood siphon is a good example of how not to fall into this trap: even though it relies primarily on intellect to actually resist it, it draws from HP, which is based on vitality.

Yeah. In "live" the most likely solution would be a magic / psi resistance skill(s). Here it wouldn't work quite as well, because of the double & triple train schemes, unless it provided a percentage addition to your resist level. I do have some other ideas for this version of the game but I'd like to hear your thoughts more on the subject.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This is such a hard issue. First of all, it's not hard to get devestating hits with the right weapons, even without a large gap in skill between attacker and defender. So, increasing the damage greatly increases the chance of very, very short fights. Very short fights tend to be unhealthy for games like this. I wouldn't sweat it so much if you couldn't aim shots and/or if we didn't have weapons firing 5 shots, but... ouch.

Well, it is more an overall balance issue than anything. Having things like pulse guns than can shoot once per second doing one-hit kills would be unbalancing, but maybe it can be something reserved for melee weapons, to help balance the longer RT's.

Perhaps something like a 'critical strike' (as I understand it, , for melee only, which would be much more rare, and would require a certain base level of stats and skill (determined by the weight, type, and quality of the weapon) to achieve. Whereas critical strikes would just give a minor boost to damage, knockdown, and stun, this attack would cause massive bleeding, and with heavier weapons, outright decapitation: mangling or destroying of the body part.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Ah. I had been planning to beef up melee weapons already, so I think we're thinking along similar lines.

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject:

How about some of those critical strikes for unarmed? I'm sure I could roundhouse someone's head off *grins*.
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
How about some of those critical strikes for unarmed? I'm sure I could roundhouse someone's head off *grins*.

Well, not roundhouse someone's head off. But there are five likely round kick targets on each side of the head that would either knock someone out, cause them immense pain, or kill them.

Code:

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject:

UPDATE 11/23/03: Melee and thrown attacks just got much deadlier! SLASH, DOUBLE SLASH, BASH, THRUST, THROW and ATTACK as well as most unarmed attacks have the potential to cause one-shot kills if they strike a vital body area with a calculated damage rank of "strong" or higher. Skill plays a very important role in how likely this is to happen and armor (or resistances to that attack type) will reduce the chance of being crit-shot. There are unique messages for each attack depending on where the victim is struck. Not all unarmed moves can cause critical death. Finally beware as creatures you encounter also have this deadly potential. Mercenaries have a slight bonus to crit-strike on all armed moves, Guardians on all unarmed.

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject:

Code:
roundhouse
Your roundhouse connects to a royal guard's head with lethal force, resulting in instant death.
A royal guard sighs, "For the Crown." and collapses.
[You are incredibly balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 4 sec.

Mua ha, I love it.

Oh a somewhat related note, do body-part-specific attacks work?
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Finally beware as creatures you encounter also have this deadly potential.

Gah! I guess I'll be visiting our local imaging center more often, then. That definitely makes things a bit more exciting.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Oh a somewhat related note, do body-part-specific attacks work?

Yep

Back to top »
DL

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject:

i think it is time for a engament system. melee weapons and what not are becoming seriously over powered with poison double slash ambush and the new crits.
and there is no way a swords damage should ever compare to to the damage dealth buy any type of fire arm.
think about it i can cut somones head off big deal a 44 mag with hollow tips will simply just move there face along with the rest of their head.
the new things for melee weapons wouldnt be a big deal if they had to be at melee to use them. but they dont. Fix this please
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject:

Do we need an ES? Yes. Will I ever sanction the idea that guns are vastly superior to anything else? No. We might as well have no weeapons but guns if that were the case.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Stuff For Trevor to Look At
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: