FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Live questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Live questions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah, that'd be nice. Some sort of SUBDUE move that would knock the target out for an extended time... much longer than just a stun. Then we could have varying contracts... capture, assassination, etc. Just another idea.
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I actually agree with at least part of Drecus's post here. If someone tells you that So and so took a bounty out on you, most likely you are going to turn around and kill So and So. A perfect example of this is Ashiara and Sway (which this situation I believe has been resolved, only using it as an example.) There was a misunderstanding over the comm, and Sway attacked Ashiara, Ashiara contacted the bounty hunter over that and Sway learned about it and came back and killed Ashiara.

Some of what would be fun would be having to bribe mercenary officals to get names of those who placed a bounty on you. Or turn around and pay the hunter themselves to reveal the information.

I also think that Drecus is right on the reveal with intent to kill. Maybe this could be better resolved by the Mercanary guild themselves sending out a piece of mail that says: "You are forewarned, there is a bounty on your head." or some such. If I had heard that Drecus or Neifl for instance was coming after Kelasa, you could be dang sure that Kelasa would be hiding.

Kelasa
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Mmm yeah the bribery thing is a good idea, I didn't think about that. I know that I'd want to know who hired someone to come after me, but I can also see that some people would want it anonymous. Hmm...

Again, didn't think about the letter, or the overall notification by the officials. I think that in some cases I'd tell them anyway, but having the officials send them mail or post flyers or something is akin to Wanted posters or something like that.
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Reguarding the victim running/hiding...
They're supposed to, who said bounty hunting is easy? Haven't you ever watched Renagade?

Reguarding the rest...
While we have ideas that are shaping our views right now, none of this is written in stone yet, and posting ideas and debate about the ideas might help shape the future justice system into what you the players want it to be, and what it should be. The only things that are written in stone is that it should have a high amount of player participation, and it should be really good. Wink
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, if a Mercenary stands beside me and says, "Hey, I'm going to kill you in the name of Bob Jones," I'll probably ask them to give me a minute to image.. then let them do as they must. Not to be a wuss, you know, but to make it easier on both myself and the Mercenary.

The Mercenary would most likely be a few good levels above me, which means they could probably kick my ass without much concern for their own safety. Then you get into the running/hiding ordeal.. which only ruins your time in the game until the contract is fulfilled. So why would I want to put unneeded stress on myself because someone's throwing a hissy fit over something I said or did to them? The Mercenary is inevitably going to win in the end, so just get it over with.

--William

PS: Of course, if I knew the Mercenary to suck and/or be of lower level than me, then I would indeed defend myself. But it's obvious they're going to overpower me quickly.. psh.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject:

In such a case, if I were the Mercenary, I'd proceed to obliterate you and save you a trip to the ER. I don't think letting someone go image makes much sense.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I can see imaging becoming a problem, especially if you think/comm to them that someone has put a price on their head.

Quote:
Then you get into the running/hiding ordeal.. which only ruins your time in the game until the contract is fulfilled.

Oh, c'mon, the chase is the fun part! I'd think it'd be rather exciting. *grins*
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Oh, hey, maybe there could be some sort of guard at the imaging center who we could alert when someone had a price on their head. The guard could keep the guy out of the imaging center for a certain period of time. That way people wouldn't dash off to the hospital as soon as they were alerted.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. I can't think of any IC justification for that. I don't know that the Merc association necessarily cares about that, and I know the hospital wouldn't stand for it.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah... justification. Yeah, I guess it really isn't my place to make certain that they suffer for their crimes. My place is really just to do the job, isn't it?
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Oh, yeah... justification. Yeah, I guess it really isn't my place to make certain that they suffer for their crimes. My place is really just to do the job, isn't it?

I can see where you're getting at, but the heavier issue to look at is the general screwing one petty player can give another. If being marked with a contract is hardcoded to deny imaging, there's little to prevent anyone from marking anyone else just to prevent the imaging process (which, conceivably, could go on forever if you aren't killed).

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Bleh, more questions.

Will it be possible for mercenaries to put bounties on people, if we're not strong enough to do it ourself? Will we be able to carry out assignments against other mercenaries, or will people have to go to assassins for that? Say we were level 10 and we got assigned to someone who was 30th or something like that... would it be dishonorable to get help for a mission like that? Would it be possible for someone to see if there's a price on their head, so they could maybe lay low for a while?

Sorry to keep bothering you, I'm just exciting and I keep thinking of new questions.
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Reguarding getting help for a contract that's over your head, I figure that'd be fine or else the top people would be above the law. The pay scale would probably be based on the individual merc taking the contract and how to split the pay would be up to that merc and their helpers.

Reguarding the rest... I donno, do you have preferences? What are they and why? Does anyone else agree or disagree, and why? How would the system interact with the rest of the justice system?

Now is the time to put the ideas you the players want out there, before it's set in stone. Just try to keep overall balance in mind, not what would be coolest for your character personally.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I get to quote myself!

Quote:
Will it be possible for mercenaries to put bounties on people, if we're not strong enough to do it ourself?

I think we should be able to, but I doubt it would be that common. It seems like you'd form bonds with those of your own profession, and a strong merc would probably do a friend a favor. However, if someone plans on RPing a cold/quiet/antisocial character, they should have the option of hiring someone, I think.

Quote:
Will we be able to carry out assignments against other mercenaries, or will people have to go to assassins for that?

That's a tough one... which is why I asked you guys *grins*. I was thinking "no" at first, because nobody would want the assignment. But then that would almost put mercs above the law, which isn't right. But, again, nobody would want to have an assignment for a friend inside their guild. I suppose they could get together and discuss it or something. But then word might get out and people may start thinking that the merc let everyone go image or find a medic or something, so they could have a nice, pleasant death.

If assassins become popular and somewhat accessable then I'd be fine going with no, but I can't say that there shouldn't be any possible way to put a bounty on a merc, because that wouldn't be right. I'm gonna say yes, it should be possible.

Quote:
Would it be possible for someone to see if there's a price on their head, so they could maybe lay low for a while?

I think someone should be able to see if there's a price on their head. However, I wouldn't want them to know who is on the assignment or who put out the assignment until the merc got to them and notified them of everything.

Alright, that's all of my original questions, but I have one more that I'm going to ask and give my opinion on before I let someone else talk about this stuff.

Is there going to be a rigid protocol to follow for notifying the target before we attack?

I say no, just as long as it is certain that the target is aware. An unacceptable method of notification, for example, would be through the mail system. I know that I haven't checked my mail, well, ever. So that wouldn't work. However, I think it should be fine to go by private comm (or public if their comm is on), by Mental Link, in person, or by some obvious means otherwise.

e.g.

Code:
a reaches into his cloak and removes a fine parchment
>Solitary Turnip reaches into his cloak and removes a fine parchment.
>a unrolls the parchment, revealing it to be a contract assigning Solitary Turnip to dispose of XXX XXX by any means possible, signed by YYY YYY.
>Solitary Turnip unrolls the parchment, revealing it to be a contract assigning Solitary Turnip to dispose of XXX XXX by any means possible, signed by YYY YYY.
>a calmly rolls up the parchment and places it back inside his cloak
Solitary Turnip calmly rolls up the parchment and places it back inside his cloak.

Perhaps you could get their attention before you do something like that. That's actually somewhat how I planned to do it, for RP reasons.

Well, that's my opinion. Blech, sorry it's so long. Anyone else?
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject:

Or you could just get a real piece of parchment and write it up, can you see READ's when people show to you?
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Live questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: