FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Player Movement Update
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bug Reports » Player Movement Update
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Player Movement Update

I made a tweak this morning that might cause odd behavior, especially during lag. Basically, when you are moved (such as if you use a cardinal direction, GO, CLIMB, moved by some other verb, etc.) you instantly look at the room you are moved to.

I altered this so there is a very brief delay between the move and look. This should generally make it so when you move, you'll see everyone in your group in the room you moved to.

It was a rough "fix" and will be handled in a better manner in "live", but it should generally work well. It may act funky during lag though, like not seeing all group members in the description or even not seeing descriptions at all if you move through rooms quickly. Likewise, if there's no lag and the game is moving quickly, if you speed through rooms, the above symptoms could also occur. But, I like to think those are preferable over the old problem of not seeing group members with you when you move about.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kitae

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Trevor. I always wondered who all was in the room when you were moving around without doing a LOOKIE.
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Player Movement Update

HR-Trevor wrote:
It was a rough "fix" and will be handled in a better manner in "live", but it should generally work well. It may act funky during lag though, like not seeing all group members in the description or even not seeing descriptions at all if you move through rooms quickly. Likewise, if there's no lag and the game is moving quickly, if you speed through rooms, the above symptoms could also occur. But, I like to think those are preferable over the old problem of not seeing group members with you when you move about.

This is kinda freaky. It completely skipped 6 room descriptions. Unfortunately I didn't have a group with me at the time to test it with.

[Llanfair, Eotoa Thoroughfare]
This crowded street corner is home to the 18/7 Sea Biscuit Diner, the most popular hangout in the neighborhood. It is a family restaurant by day, and serves as a gathering place for the younger crowd during the wee hours of the night. Giant electronic billboards switch on every few minutes to play short commercials, but the sound is often drowned out by the honking of horns and shouting. A winding dirt path disappears into the forest to the south.

You also see a winding dirt path and an elderly human.
You notice exits leading northeast and northwest.
>You go northeast.
You go northeast.
You go northeast.
You go northeast.
You go northeast.
You go north.
You go southeast.

[Llanfair, Kukonjokon Blvd.]
A large fountain in the center of this area is formed by one abstract likeness of each race, standing in a circle with their backs to one another, holding hands. Curved benches encircle the fountain, creating the perfect place to relax and read a book on a nice day. Children lean over the fountain edge trying to touch the sprays of crystal clear water.

You also see the crystalline gates.
You notice an exit leading northwest.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject:

One thing I've noticed, idk if it has to do with what you guys are talking about or if it's a bug or how it's supposed to be... anyway...

Sometimes things like this happen:

Code:
You also see an enormous fallen log blocking the trail.
You notice an exit leading west.
>climb log
e
You can't go that way.
You carefully climb over the top of an enormous fallen log.

Is that a delay for climbing the log, or is that weird sort of bug?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. I think it's also related to lag (or super server speed, case depending). The 'east' command was obviously run before the climb one was, despite the order in which they were entered.

I have applied a fix which may allieve the no-room-description issue. It might also cause other weirdnesses.

Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I actually think the skipped room descriptions would enhance RP. If you were moving that fast you really wouldn't have a chance to see what was set up in th room.

As to the other bug, it seems that the game recognizes move commands before go commands like go, climb, etc. So in the case of lag and you have mutliple commands out, then it would try to move, then go.

Kelasa
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject:

We can improve on the latter issue some in live. Basically commands are generally attached either to rooms or players, and room commands get run before player ones. The directionals and go/climb are on rooms, but most of the other commands are on players. There's no specific reason for this setup, it's just how it was done. In live we can sort this out by putting all player commands on players.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I pulled this change back out because it works poorly when the server is lagged up.

Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bug Reports » Player Movement Update
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: