FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Downtime, Bad Data Loss.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Downtime, Bad Data Loss.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Downtime, Bad Data Loss.

A few things...

We had a REALLY bad problem tonight that essentially is going to result in major data loss. In fact, people are going to be rolling back basically a day. I tried for quite some time to find a solution but was not able to do so.

However, your experience and cash totals are not lost and I will be restoring those for all characters.

Also, I'm gonna have Hael down for a good while today. If I can get everything back in order enough to launch it back up, I'll let it run and let you all play while yours truly gets some sleep, then I'll take it down when I return and start some very heavy work both to help avoid these horrible losses and to improve performance.

We have some new tools in the engine as of tonight that I will be looking to use to address those issues, but I'll need to take the game down for several hours to do so.

At any rate, things will be hit and miss today as far as game availability. I'll try to minimize downtime as much as I can.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject:

Update: The game is up.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject:

More updates:

- I have imaged everyone. Really shoulda this morning.

- I have cut everyone's experience penalty tracker in half.

- If you have experienced a serious loss of items that represents a significant amount of work and/or time, please email me with very detailed and specific information about the things lost and I will in most cases be able to provide a replacement or money to compensate.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject:

Just as a followup...

This morning I put in a very intricate archiving system that should ensure that in all but the worst cases we will never lose more than a maximum of two hours of game data, and many cases less. Unfortunately right now it's not practical to reduce this time much more but that is something we will address with the rebuild.

You may have noticed that while save times are sometimes still very high, they have overall dropped. Hopefully this will continue as we continue to modify how that data is being stored.

Later today (approx 1PM EST) Haelrahv will be taken down again for further work, but this is expected to take far less time than the update yesterday. I'd estimate anywhere from one to two hours as realistic, barring any serious complications.

Once this update is made, I don't project the need for any further work in the near future that requires serious downtime, again, barring any serious complications.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Downtime, Bad Data Loss.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: