Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Implants
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Troopers » Implants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Implants

Quote:
Less essence depleted per biotech device implanted or attached.

That pretty much sold me for this Profession ^_^. I'm really big those. I'm super interested in what kind of implants/attachments you had in mind. I'm thinking kind of like Shadowrun, but perhaps hundreds of different tech customizations.

I have extremely high hopes for this game.  ;D
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Actually I've been looking at Shadowrun and Cyberpunk for cyberware ideas.  Of course Troopers will have a lot more options  Wink.  What kind of stuff would you like to be able to use?

Morrigan Blackfury

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Shoot, too many to list I think. But partial to cyber eye types, and data feeds to weapons. And the customizablity for weapons is gonna be... insanely great.
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

Sorry it's gotta be said.....

You will be assimilated  Surprised
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

Resistance is futile.

BTW, to explain tech/essence etc more... implants and such consume some of the character's essence, a limited resource that determines how much "humanity" the character has.  This humanity is depleted by using tech devices, and can lead to changing behavior and such, as well as interfere with magic and psionics.

It's not possible to use a lot of tech as well as magic / psionics, they don't mix.  Surprised  Some races will find using tech easier as well, while those who don't will in some cases have other virtues that make them equally fine Troopers, for example.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Any profession can get something implanted if they feel the need though right?  Just in case it was IC for one to do just that.  ^_^
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Yes, any profession can get it, just won't be as beneficial to some.

Morrigan Blackfury

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

What Morrigan said.  If a Mage or Psionic get an implant, their spell strengths would be reduced.

-- Rich

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

I'd like to see a hell of a lot more smaller type enhancers/implants. I hated seeing just a few cool helpful small-type implants, and then the rest being large major ones that take half of yer essence.

I also hope there will be lots of reversible and/or removable ones, which allow us to get our essence back. One can really screw themselves over if they're not careful, plus in a long term game like this, it would really suck if you couldn't go back on things like that later on, specially with new and even better implant types coming out now and then. Actually, if there going to be non-reversible ones at all, I seriously hope they are only on very major ones. And even then I'd hate to see that in a long term game.

By the way, I hope we get a hell of a lot more essence then in say, Shadowrun. =\

You can hardly do anythin with how much they gave you.

Haha, I think I'm gonna be just like a Barb in this as well, I love implants and such so damn much that I'll hardly have any essence left (most likely anyway), so magic and psionics gets thrown out the door for me. Plus I should be effected by them much less.. well most likely at least.
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

Oh! I got it!

After thinking about it more, I realized its gonna need more of a down side. I think I know what might work for a long term game.

For implants, one thing that would discourage fast reversals and swapping out of implants (though I could also see a lot of types being made specifically for this, like mechanical arms with changeable parts, Oooooh the possibilities!) would of course be cost. Implants should most likely be a bit pricey, especially some of them. But removal of them might even cost more yet.

Another discouraging factor could be recover time. Just getting an implant itself might have a bit of a recover time (and you can't just cure this with magic, its a shock to your system kinda thing, and even getting used to the new part), and removals would most likely have even more of a recover time. Heck, it could even take a few RL days.

I think these kinda things would really help offset the idea of things being reversible, cause like I said before, non-reversible stuff in a long-term game that is always changing, evolving, and getting new tech is a baaad idea. Plus if all goes well, there should be hundreds of different kinds of things to choose from, and ya can't get'em all. (But hey we can try!)
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

Quote:
Some races will find using tech easier as well, while those who don't will in some cases have other virtues that make them equally fine Troopers, for example.

I really hope that Darju are a race that happen to deal with implants and tech well...  :-/

It would make sense, with their bio-regeneration and all..

That brings up another question, will some implants take a slightly (slightly)different amount of essence from different races? Like say muscle enhancers, I could see that costing a tad more essence for Alteris, as they seem more of a slender build. But the on the other foot I could see other implants taking less for Alteris too.

P.S. Quotes look really weird
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Implants

Heh, let me see if I can reply to all of this...

I definitely am in favor of a wide array of implants that use various amounts of essence, and I'm sure Morrigan is too.  We have a surgery skill specifically for adding/removing implants (and for some serious medical uses as well), and the Medic profession will work with others to help them with their implants.  This isn't to say -every- implant will be removable, too early to promise yet, but the majority, if not all, will be.

I'm sure some of the aspects you've named -- recovery time, time to perform the procedure, etc will factor in there somewhere.  I'd say it's one of our goals to make implants not easily removed but nonetheless quite removable.

I've not worked out magic/psionic resistance in detail yet, will advise ya as soon as I have.

Also, essence calculations aren't in stone yet, but it's very possible charisma will be a huge factor in it.  Yeah, charisma, you know, the supposedly "throw away" stat. Wink  This bites Darju pretty significantly since they have +2 charisma cost, but their other stat costs balance it nicely.  I don't think Darju will have problems in the least as Troopers, yet the use of charisma makes the path a little easier for say, an Eolai, who would otherwise find it pretty hard with their penalties in strength and vitality.

I don't think race will have any affect on how effective an implant is, but that's not set in stone.  But the races already have pretty stiff differences in stats as is, don't wanna underscore that much, as it's pretty effective now.  Consider that for the amount of training points a Darju can get 40 strength in, an Alteri can get only 20 points of strength.  By the same token, for the Darju cost of 40 charisma an Eolai can get 93 pts of it.

And, while the essence calcs aren't done yet, I think you'll probably have a pretty impressive level of available essence, but it will be tied to charisma in all likelihood, which is a big consideration.

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Noooooo! Of all the stats that would influence it, noooooooo!!

<Beats self over head>

Don't get me wrong, in DR I'm probably one of the 1% of people that actually really like charisma, and being Prydaen with a bonus to it, plus being a Barb, this was like woohoo! to me, it worked out nicely.

But when I seen the Darju and their penalty to it, I was also a bit woohoo! like, because as much as I like charisma, if that bonus were in another stat instead, I could be just as happy. Even though I train charisma more then others, didn't mean I was gonna get it to insanely extra high amounts (like my reflex, heh), just more then others <g>.

So.. now that I think about it, +2 to charisma is a really damn big penalty isn't it?

I hope other stats can contribute to it as well.

P.S. Noooooooooo!
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Heh.  I'd say if another stat factors in, good chance it'd be mentality, which Darju also have a hit on, but less (+1). <g>

That's the kicker of the situation, as a Darju Trooper, you'll definitely need all of the stats, tho you may need intel/ment. less depending on whether they factor into essence (ment may, int won't) and magic resistance (both likely will, to some degree at least).

I really think Darju will be just fine tho. <grin>  I'm keenly aware of the fact they'll be one of the most popular races, particularly for guys.

-- Rich, who predicts Darju will be the most played race by guys and Eolai by gals

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Implants

Please tell me its all a bad joke.. <beats head into wall>

The main reason I wanted to be a Trooper in the first place was the essence 'bonus'.

Not +2 charisma <weep>, thats cruel.

And this brings up yet another question, Alteri and Eolai charisma bonuses. They look completely backwards to me, Alteri are the open friendly ones, Eolai are 'egocentric' ones, they might think they need to take care of the rest of us, but that defiantly doesn't let us get along with them well. How are Eolai -2, and Alteri neutral on it?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Troopers » Implants
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: