FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Combat questions

I need to know what the best armor is for me. It seems like being encumbered is a big factor in combat, so I guess I don't want heavy armor. Does light armor protect well enough to be worth using? I have black komnagon skin gloves, but they don't seem to help and I can't appraise them well enough to tell if they even offer protection.

Also, how do we get better balance here? I'm using a staff and I'm not sure what the best combo would be, although I might switch to nunchaku.

Which brings me to my next question; I want to use either polearms or exotic weapons, but I don't know which ones are better. I didn't see polearms in the list of weapons and their advantages/disadvantages. Since I'm an Artisan, I'll probably have fairly good coordination and agility, but not much strength or vitality. Which weapon type would be better for me?
 Back to top »
mellie
Artistic Bitch

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: What Mellie uses....

Fellow Artisan here. I spec'd in exotic and use a monofilament net and a monofilament whip together. Seem to work well for me. I also train polearms and have a spear. I have to tell you that the net & whip combo work better for my character being Artisan and spec. in exotic.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject:

You're probably just fine with light armor. Heavy armor requires more training, and as the name indicates, is rather heavy by comparison. Light armor is very useful, even if not as protective as heavy. However, I caution against using armor you are hindered by. You can appraise armor to see if it would hinder you before you buy it (this is not skill based, either).

Balance is a tricky thing. It recovers on its own, and with successful hits it usually recovers also. There is no command or attack combo currently that would help. I would heavily suggest against nunchaku. Their power is desirable, but they are hard to use and therefore have a penalty to strike which becomes a penalty to balance. If you want maximum balance through your weapon of choice, many Eolai weapons are excellent for this reason.

There are currently no Eolai exotic weapons, which leads into the next issue about polearms. The ifaebe (staff) and aefike (short spear) are both very well built for accuracy and are both polearms.

Mellie's suggestions aren't bad at all, but they don't imply any specific bonus that would help balance either. If you're going with exotic rather than poles, you may wish to listen to her advice as an experienced exotic user.

Training agility will have a great impact on your balance as a whole. Coordination also helps, because the more hits you land, the more balanced you will naturally be. Even though you did not specialize unarmed, you could also train it to gain the "sweep kick" attack, but this is probably an extreme measure and not something I'd suggest for you personally since you probably only want to train one weapon and you didn't spec unarmed.

Final note, the polearms tend to be heavier than other weapons. Those exotics Mellie mentioned are fairly light weapons. This will have an impact on encumbrance and fatigue. You can reduce both fatigue and encumbrance by training vitality, though training strength will help you more with encumbrance than vitality will. However overall, vitality will be a crucial stat for you if you hunt, so simply stacking it more and letting your strength slack some may work well for you, depending on factors like race, etc.

Hope all of that is a help to you.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Aye, that was very helpful, thank you.

I'll probably train agility up a bit and go with the net/whip combo. I'm a Darju, so I guess race won't factor into whether I train strength or vitality; I'll go with vitality since encumbrance isn't a big problem, what with free vaults and all.

I was wondering though, is it possible to train in eosheai forever, so long as you don't put ranks into..whatever they're training you in? Or will they stop teaching you once you reach a certain amount of exp points?

Oh, and this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure..when we leave this version and start paying for the game, we will be able to transfer over our chars, right?
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'll probably train agility up a bit and go with the net/whip combo. I'm a Darju, so I guess race won't factor into whether I train strength or vitality; I'll go with vitality since encumbrance isn't a big problem, what with free vaults and all.

Vit is a good choice for Darju, since your natural regeneration is effected by it.

Quote:
Oh, and this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure..when we leave this version and start paying for the game, we will be able to transfer over our chars, right?

You won't be able to keep your character persay, but you will take EXP with you, so when you reroll in the new engine you won't be starting from scratch.
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject:

So we'll lose all our cash/inventory/altered features?
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So we'll lose all our cash/inventory/altered features?

Yes, though starting at a higher level means it will be much easier to make back. Also, I guarentee there will be plenty of alterers when we open the new engine.
drainm2

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Vit is a good choice for Darju, since your natural regeneration is effected by it.

That mean higher vit on darju regenerate more wounds, do so faster, or regenerate worse wounds to lesser wounds to a larger extent...or all 3?
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
That mean higher vit on darju regenerate more wounds, do so faster, or regenerate worse wounds to lesser wounds to a larger extent...or all 3?

Yes, something like that. Twisted Evil
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject:

Yes, it will be quite impossible (and really undesirable) for us to carry over wealth, items, etc. There is a post about how experience will be carried over in another folder.

As for hunting... exp gains are based on your skills and stats versus those of what you are fighting. If you do not train stats and combat skills, you would gain the same experience at any level. But since you probably will train, you'll have to move on. It is not experience or level based at all, however.

Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject:

I was thinking about training my agility, but since all I hunt right now is eosheai, I don't really need it. How important is agility when you get up to harder critters?

Encumbrance seems to be a huge factor here, so I usually get rid of all my stuff before I hunt. I like the idea of training parry, but since I'm not encumbered or hindered, I'd probably be able to evade. I haven't trained either yet. Would exotic weapons get damaged a lot by parrying; should I train evasion?

Also, at what point does it become more profitable to hunt than do other stuff which takes the same amount of skill? Chith-level?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Agility is important for balance, and it is crucial for evasion. Parry relies more on coordination, which is also important in your to-hit ability. So, you really can't go wrong with either.

The downside to parry is that weapons will get damaged (when that is in, it's not right now) and you can't parry everything (example, gun fire, pulse fire, etc). On the upside, I'm going to change parry very soon to be less affected by encumbrance (shield too, to a point).

And, you can safely parry with your bare hands, but it may at some point inflict injuries here and there (I might exclude Guardians from such injury, however).

The downside to evasion is encumbrance, and it's generally just a little harder to pull off. Okay, that's not true, but it will be in the near future.

As to profit... well, I'm still working it out, essentially. Some adjustments need to be made. I wouldn't say chiths are too profitable, nor the higher critters. I'm working on both the treasure-bearing critters and skins to make them more worthwhile.

Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I guess I'll go with parry, since I'll be training coordination more than agility. And hope that there aren't too many critters with guns.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
(I might exclude Guardians from such injury, however)

<vote!> Very Happy

Question, though. If you're set to DODGE, though you've been training parry secretly in the background, will you still get a roll to PARRY attacks? If so, will the roll have a decreased chance to pull off since you weren't counting on doing it in the first place?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Question, though. If you're set to DODGE, though you've been training parry secretly in the background, will you still get a roll to PARRY attacks? If so, will the roll have a decreased chance to pull off since you weren't counting on doing it in the first place?

Right now there's only a check against your primary defense (whether you typed dodge, parry, or block) and any other trained defenses aren't counted. This is going to be changed eventually though, so secretly training parry might not be a bad idea.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: