FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
New Skill System Transition Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New Skill System Transition Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I figured you meant your statement from an In-Character perspective, but oh well.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
I figured you meant your statement from an In-Character perspective, but oh well.

--William

Ah, no, I meant it from a knowing the skills and benefits of each profession. I think changing professions is pretty legit. People do it all the time.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:

reallocations should have just wiped traits/stats/skills, not profession or race.

but, they're leaving anyway so it doesn't matter.

i strongly dislike the fact that there are players who hop from profession to profession based on what just comes out, what profession makes the most money, and so on. all it does is upset the balance of the game.
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I think what tends to upset some of us is when someone reallocates into "our' profession because it upsurps the ones that spent their whole text life in that one profession and now there's this new kid that suddenly shows up knowing just as much as "I" do or even more. I know me personally it kind of makes me want to ask where the hell they came from all of a sudden.

That's one big reason I ended up not reallocating even though I felt and sometimes still feel that I'd be happier that way. I didn't want [for example] the trackers all pissed at me for suddenly becoming one of them and goings 'Here I am! Isn't it great?' I'm not sure which is worse to be honest, having people reallocating or having people feeling stuck and unhappy as they are and making the people around them miserable as Nelle tends to do at times. However, I also have faith that one day Nelle will rediscover her passion for being a Medic. These things cycle.

Just keep in mind that once we do get to live this just won't be an issue any more and everything between now and then is temporary anyway.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:

That's why it's better to find out what you like now rather than later. Now, while there is still a chance to find out what you like and don't like about the game and a profession, you can easily play mix around. I think crats make the best money...aside from that...probably the hunting and the alchemy professions. Kit makes pretty good money. But the tracker -- half his level -- use to make better. I haven't had her out to hunt in since the change, though. I still think Kit makes some decent money, and he does both alchemy and hunting.

So what professions make the best money?

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm of the opinion that the "grace" period for deciding what you like and don't like to play should end around 15th level. Beyond that, you know what you were getting into.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I was 20th before I decided to reallocate to tech..of course, techs didn't even have drones when I started.
 Back to top »
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I'll agree to the realism there Kit, but the practice I think starts opening a whole new can of worms. Your saying that if I dont play from level 1, I cant really at least from an RP sense, be abel to understand it. Of course right now, having never even considered picking up a needle and thread, I can go max that out and be better than all but maybe 3 or 4 artisans at tailoring. Some things dont always make sense, they are the way they are based on the game mechanics, and the balance between realism and playability. Theres things I think need to be moves towards realism more, and things I think need to be moved towards playability, but theres comprimise there. I like Mickey's idea better, Have a grace period. You can try another profession, at the cost of "learned" skills, up to a certain level. That gives younger newer players that oppertunity without the concern of abuse from older players.

Sean
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i strongly dislike the fact that there are players who hop from profession to profession based on what just comes out, what profession makes the most money, and so on. all it does is upset the balance of the game.

Same here. I only reallocated once to changes professions, though. And that was from Tracker to Agent, because as a Tracker, I didn't even train like one. I trained more like an Agent and being an Agent would be more helpful to my skills.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:

yeah, i can see if you train like an agent, you might as well reallocate to one, but the thing that really frustrates me is when someone just goes "system X changed. i don't like it even though it happened 24 hours ago and is still being tweaked. that guy makes a ton of money. i think i'll be that guy now."

the only thing that does is not only make it hard for the GMs to want to work on a system everyone is already being so negative on, but then the GMs have to start scrambling because so many people end up making money off a system. noone wins except the profiteers, and only they get to come on top for so long.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I am just going to interject one thing here.

I can't speak for the other professional gurus, but if I ever catch anyone reallocating just to receive some Medic perk (for instance - medicine creation when it is released) and then reallocating back to their 'regular' profession, I will confiscate everything (skills/items/cash/etc.) which I have any reason to believe were gained from what I consider abuse of a loophole to get around system mechanics.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject:

i just wish that was the general standard.

it kills me to see the creation systems i use get downtweaked (and yes, while i know sometimes it is for balance, sometimes i also know it is because someone raped it beyond belief), because then the same idiot who reallocated to abuse the system just jumps over to the next profession to screw over.

meanwhile, people like me still sit around in their respective professions, hoping that something else will finally come along to enjoy as a profession that won't be invaded by these same people causing it to get downtweaked yet again.

we've seen what immaturity and spite in this game does. when former cap breaking backpacks first came out, people flooded the market just to spite mellie/myself, the only two artisans who would have benefited from them. when the table system came out, a mage i won't name sold potions at insanely cheap prices for the purposes of fucking over dixie and those who were hoping/planning to sell potions. now skin prices fell and i've yet to be given a real reason why nomatter how many times i bring it up, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is from certain people going over to tracker to rape getok hounds and fuck up the economy by making scroll cases.

i'm also quite sure we know who did and did not become agent, learn the posions, scribe the scrolls, then reallocate to whatever they were before.

i'm outright baffled at these game abusing assholes are left to do what they want. if someone is hoarding reallocations just to do this shit, why the fuck aren't any GMs smacking these people down.

Code:
* It is possible for a player to reallocate to a Trooper solely to get commandeered items, then reallocate into another profession. Any players found to be doing this will be punished severely. Players who are Troopers before they reallocate may freely choose another profession without penalty.

why isn't this rule being used to enforce ANYTHING that is going on now? c'mon, people!
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

Well, it's probably hard to know exactly who is reallocating to abuse a system and who is reallocating just to be a new profession.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject:

We know.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:

We know.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New Skill System Transition Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: