FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
how did i miss when it's stunned and on it's back?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » how did i miss when it's stunned and on it's back?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikeknight

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: how did i miss when it's stunned and on it's back?

>fire
Gauging the shot with care, you fire a metal gridgun with blue accents at a borkin settler. You land a slight hit to her left hand as a borkin settler fails to dodge the attack.
... Critical strike!
A borkin settler is completely dazed by the attack!
... another shot hits!
A borkin settler reels and falls flat on her back!
... another shot hits!
Showing true inexperience at work, you fire a metal gridgun with blue accents at a borkin settler. At the last moment she dodges the attack, barely managing to avoid disaster.
... a shot misses!
[You are fairly well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 1 sec.

this has happened a few times before using the gridgun...was just wondering how i could miss a shot if it was dazed and on it's back.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Did you aim the prior shot? Aiming makes a big difference.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, there's an easy explanation with the gridgun. I'm not sure exactly how a gridgun works, but I know it fires 5 shots at approx. the same time. Maybe there's some delay between the shots. It seems the 3rd shot knocked it down, the 4th hit it on the way down. Then the 5th missed, so I'd assume that it was falling and the fifth shot went over its head.

With anything else, you can make up an excuse. The wind blew, something distracted you, you tripped/slipped/etc. while attacking.

I mean, those are just physical reasons. I dunno about the game engine reasons *grins*.
 Back to top »
spikeknight

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject:

no i sweeped it and then it popped right up right before i could type fire heh
normally i would prolly miss most shots on a settler Neutral
but it was/should have been a little off balence from the sweep
add in the stun and falling

just curious hehe
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject:

My guess is that in theory the gridgun fires all five shots at the same time,but obviously since you can't have the equation used to determine if you hit and how hard can't be run simultaneously, so it just used the same numbers as the first shot when determining each successive attack. So even though it was stunned and on the ground from the first 2 hits, it was still acting as if it was unstunned and standing for the one that missed.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Actually, each attack is calculated independently. Any number of factors could have led to this though, including dumb luck.

Back to top »
Jin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Possibly...

This may have nothing to do with the actual reason you missed, but there's a theory called 'the gambler's fallacy.' Basically it can be summed by the example of flipping a coin. You have a 50% chance of flipping a coin and it hitting heads, and a 50% chance of landing on tails. The gamblers fallacy is if you've already flipped the coin 10 times and they were all heads, you bet on tails because it's more likely to be tails this time around. Actually, each individual flip has it's personal probability, and it never changes from 50% on each flip: i.e. you have the same probability of getting an 11th head or a tail. If each shot of the gridgun is calculated seperately in the game engine, then the probability equation used on the 5th shot is the same for the first, and you just happened to not exceed the number required to land a hit. Ofcourse, I wouldn't feel good about myself in the morning if I didn't agree that it's rediculous that a stunned creature on its back shouldn't change the equation. Most likely the if there is a change to the equation used in the game, it comes after the simultaneous 5 shots from the gridgun, since they're all (most likely) derived at the same time, we only see a relay in the output for the sake of the game scrolling. Sorry to be so long everyone, but it may be of some help.

Jin of the Lexoins
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I should clarify: Whether you hit or not is calculated before damage is issued, for all shots. Since damage is where the stun comes into play, the stun has no effect on shots in the same attack cycle.

This isn't the best method of handling it, and I imagine I'll rework it for live. But it's not overly noticable as is.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » how did i miss when it's stunned and on it's back?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: