Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Something Fishy
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Something Fishy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Something Fishy

I have a few questions about cooking,

When cooking over an open fire does the type of wood of the stick we cook with, or to build the fire with factor into the likely success of the roasting?

Also, though I pull off the occasional "exquisite" cooking job, (with fish) I can still get more from the fish shop selling it uncooked than selling it prepared to the chef in the Darju sector. While the "looks," of some fish make it obvious that it would not be very fruitful to try and prepare them for consumption, others look absoultly delicous. I was wondering if the disparity in the profit between selling raw fish and prepared fish (even ignoring the fact that the fish have to be imported to Llanfair) is due to their unfitness to be cooked by our only means, a campfire, or if there's some other factor I could be made aware of.

I have two last questions concering the future of "cooking," will artisans eventually be able to prepare dishes that will give one a bonus from injesting them? Also, will our dishes eventually take on distinctive tastes?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject:

That's odd. An exquisite fish should be worth more cooked than raw. Are you selling them in the same place whether raw or cooked? Cooked foods are best sold in places specifically buy foods -- foods and raw fish are not the same in terms of how they're categorized for sale.

Anything appeting and above should be better than raw. Sometimes an appetizing will "break even" and be worth no more or less, and sometimes it will be worth more. Anything better than appetizing will definitely be worth more cooked.

And yes the general "taste" of the fish plays a role, but that's factored in both raw and cooked fish and cooking a fish only increases value (assuming you actually cook okay), even for gross tasting fish.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Something Fishy

Quote:
When cooking over an open fire does the type of wood of the stick we cook with, or to build the fire with factor into the likely success of the roasting?

No, it doesn't.

Quote:
I have two last questions concering the future of "cooking," will artisans eventually be able to prepare dishes that will give one a bonus from injesting them?

I just recently adopted the cooking system (yesterday, actually), so I haven't given it much thought yet. But, I'm saying yes to this. Details to be announced. Wink

Quote:
Also, will our dishes eventually take on distinctive tastes?

It's a possibility.

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject:

I've been expirementing with cooking some more and it still seems to me the prices are a lil out of whack. All fish were grilled and sold to Master Chef Kuo

Raw: Cooked:

Shomu: $304. Exquisite $548

Common hiwilaca $55 Exquisite $99

Black Koba $328 Exquisite $657

red koba $84 Delicious $117

lake needlefish $103. Appetizing $123.

*freshwater ishot $299. Appetizing $299.

Smallgill Hiwilica $138 Satisfactory $82?

Pale koba $180 Satisfactory $144

Common Doro $139 Satisfactory $83

yellow bowfish $261. Edible $104.

As you can see a fish must be "Delicious," or "Exquistie" in order to pull a profit. Appetizing fish just about break even, while everything else loses a significant amount.

Is there a reason for this? I could see a chef not being terribly interested in fish that only ranks as "Edible," but satisfactory one's should atleast break even and "Appetizing" fish be worth more than unprepared.

I gained a profitl of $361 for selling the fish cooked rather than raw. As an Artisan I have been training cooking since level one and also recieve a bonus to it. With 3 out of the 10 cooks exquiste and only one cook rating below satisfactory, the endevor does not seem to have paied off well. I would be willing to see the round times on cooking increase if it were to make them more valuable.

*This type of fish is generally only liked by the Darju. The Darju chef offered the same price as chef Kuo. Any chance of having the Darju or Alteri chef's pay more for fish that their race prize?

Last edited by senseandviolets on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject:

I'll check into the prices, but the Darju thing is unlikely to happen, sorry. Wink Mainly because that's a lot of work for minute detail, but in addition, while the Darju chef may like it, he has to serve what his customers like, not what likes, right?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Something Fishy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: