FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Question about shields and psionic/magic attacks. . . .
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Question about shields and psionic/magic attacks. . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Question about shields and psionic/magic attacks. . . .

Not sure where to put this thread. . .Trevor can move it to another folder im sure. . . .

I bought a vyeftium kite shield tonight and it apps as giving protection against magic and psionic attacks. . . .

Im wondering how does that protection work? I did a test with a psionicist and my shield didnt seem to help at all. . . .does the protection against psionics and magic mean it gives general protection to ALL those types of attacks? And how does that protection work? Can I actually block the psionic and magic attacks with my shield? And how do shield ranks affect the protection? Any info at all would be appreciated. . .thanks.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject:

Honestly... it doesn't work. I've overlooked it because I had thought there was no vyeftium stuff for sale for some reason, eh but knowing me I could have even put it in my own shop way back when without thinking. Where did you buy it?

Here's the problem. "Magic" attacks would be like Blood Siphon, and "Psi" attacks like Paralysis and Blindness. Now, the only real issue here is that these attacks are not aimed at any specific body area, unless you count the head since they are Psi. If you count the head, then vyeftium chest armor for example, is pointless. If you don't count the head, then, well, all armor is pointless. The only exception being a shield, which could theoretically cover anything. So... shields provide no benefits vs. magic/psi, but I can fix that. If you had gloves or something, that would be a much different situation. Although vyeftium is lighter and less hindering than many armors which is nice in general.

I'll re-post here after I have made changes.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject:

[King's Ransom, Armor] - has vyeftium stuff for sale. . .armor and accessories and full suit that covers the whole body.

[Stone Tower, Iteo Medieval] - has the vyeftium shields. . .kite and tower varieties.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject:

Ok, I removed all the vyeftium stuff from King's Ransom except the buckler, thanks.

Back to top »
DL

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject:

it is very possiable for chest armor to stop psi/magic attacks. i mean hell there are cyber chips that give stealth bonuses. that metal could simply just put out a anti magic field that nullifies magic with in it. now that means that it would no be able for mages or psionics to use that metal with out some major penalities. But it would be nice to have some kinda defense against magic and psi attacks. other than building up extremely high intel and ment or casting protection spells.
just my thoughts
teh drecus
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject:

The vyeftium shields now work and will help defend against Blindness, Paralysis, Shrink, Siphon Vigor, and Blood Siphon.

The size of the shield IS a factor in how well it works.

Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject:

It is pretty confusing. . . . . . .most direct magic attacks do a certain type of damage. . .fire damage, cold, electrical. . .but then there are the spells that have effects. . .blind, paralyze. So those would fall under the magic and psi catergory of protection. The other direct damage ones falling under what type of damage they do.

Vyeftium having special anti-magic prperties. . . .Drecus' idea sounds feasible. . .it could emit some type of small anti-magic shield. . .giving extra protection against those 'magic and psi' attack effects like blind and paralyze. Could a shield do that? Im not sure about that. . . .would prolly only be likely on a larger piece of armor. . .or even a full body suit.

Another question. . .if youre set to block attacks with your shield. . .can spells like lightning be blocked?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject:

Anti-magic shields essentially do that now... give you a barrier that can block out magic/psi, if you successfully manuever it into position (hence why the size matters, and why it's not 100% block)

I do think it's reasonable to block say flame wave or green haze.

Now, in an ideal situation, shields and armor made of metals that do not conduct electricity could provide 100% resist against electrical attacks. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and in this case, these shields and armors are completely resistant. There are such metals in Haelrahv, kashanvana, vyeftium don't and eilaro conducts it poorly. This issue of conductivity was an oversight on my part and something I can remedy pretty easily by adjusting resists for electricity for those metals.

Icy Aura is a cloud and you can't block a cloud with a shield. Armor already reduces the damage taken by a cut based on the armor material.

So short answer, right now none of the elemental attacks can be blocked with a shield, but a few should be. Of course, they should also damage shields, but so should everything else. I would imagine a shield being struck by green haze would be quite nasty.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject:

Reading back I think I misunderstood this anti-magic aura thing. If you're referring to say, some vyeftium gloves, the problem here is... these attacks like blood siphon are not aimed at a specific body part. So, if you are going to use an aura generated by the gloves, what about the rest of the body? Do you average the magic resist for all armors? Consider hands as 1/20th of the body and give 1/20th of their resist bonus? You can't just add up ALL bonuses or else someone with piecemeal vyeftium on half their body would easily have 100% resist.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The following changes have been made:

* Green Haze and Flame Wave can be blocked with a shield.

* Icy Aura remains only defendable via evasion.

* Lightning Bolt can be "blocked" based on the electrical resistance of the shield involved.

Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Cool man. . ..great job. . . .thanks for bein so dedicated and on top of things.

Is there any way you could post a list of armor stats from worst to best? is decent better than fairly good? etc etc. . .

Last edited by Tugor on Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Can't always promise this quickness in response, but you caught me on a good day I guess. ;D

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Question about shields and psionic/magic attacks. . . .
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: