Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Core Skills
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Core Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titans506

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Core Skills

I was just wondering why Mercs don't start with a weapon as one of their core skills, considering they are supposed to be the profession that relies on offense. And also what is the point of having 2 defensive skills as core skills for Mercs when you really only use 1 at a time and also they are not based on defense.. I think parry needs to be replaced with some sort of weapon for Mercs, preferably pulse guns or marksmanship Smile
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was just wondering why Mercs don't start with a weapon as one of their core skills, considering they are supposed to be the profession that relies on offense.

I don't know the offical word on this, but Mercs get to triple train pulse, even if it's not auto trained. The merc bonusus include: Reduced attack roundtimes; Increased attack ability; Increased damage dealt in combat; Increased stamina points, which should all boost the Merc's offensive capability.

Quote:
what is the point of having 2 defensive skills as core skills for Mercs when you really only use 1 at a time and also they are not based on defense..

Maybe it is to a Merc's benefit to have multiple defensive stances depending on their opponent? I don't beleive most professions are able to utilize all of their core skills to their fullest extent due to skill point limitations, just comes along with the job.
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Because parry is better than evasion but can only parry certain attacks, so you stance as parry, and you will still evade the attacks you cannot parry.

Also they are automatically specialized in all weapons...I think that makes up for the lack of a core weapon, not to mention the attack bonuses they have.
 Back to top »
Titans506

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject:

The way mercenary core skills are currently set up seems a bit out of whack. For other classes, their particular strengths are more accurately reflected in their core skills, mages with spellcraft etc. This particularly hurts human mercenaries because of their racial ability to have the extra ranks in their core skills, a human agent starts with an edge in hiding and lockpicking, a human artisan has an advantage in craft skills and so on. Their core skills represent what those professions are good at. Mercenaries are Fighters for hire. Mercenaries tend to excel in a variety of weapons. What they lack in the use of armors and defensive skills, they make up for with superior offensive power.
Their core skills should more accurately reflect their offensive bent with the side effect of making the class as attractive to humans as some alternatives.
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Their core skills should more accurately reflect their offensive bent with the side effect of making the class as attractive to humans as some alternatives.

All nine weapons should be core skills?

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject:

The best offense is a good defense.

--William, the cliche

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject:

One reason Mercs have no weapon as a core is because we do not wish to lean Mercs toward any given weapon and you'd be nuts to use, say, blades, if you get core pulse.

Mercs are the masters of ALL weapons.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Core Skills
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: