FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Test Phase & Stuff.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Test Phase & Stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Test Phase & Stuff.

So, we, as a community, need to talk shop.

It seems that the staff is generally consumed with wanting to make people happy (which is good!) by adding new stuff (which is also generally good!) but at the expense of the rebuild / live game (which is bad).

I also seem to be spending most of my time fixing bugs, not least of which is the immensely long checkpoint times we've seen lately.

So, I have come the conclusion that it has come time for us to make a decision. Neither choice is incredibly appealing, but I think it's necessary. As you are the players for whom we do all this, I'd like your input.

Choice 1: End the test phase, close the game down, see you in a few months.

Choice 2: Leave the test game open, bug only fix the most incredibly horrible of bugs. Things like long saves and imbalanced/buggy systems generally just left as is. Events, merchants, systems and area releases generally halted.

I imagine most people are going to say choice 2, and that's probably a good sign. I just want you to understand that it is impossible for us to build the 'live' game if we're so focused on the existing one. I myself have all kinds of cool things I keep wanting to do in the test game just because we have players now! But, I can't.

So. Thoughts, feedback are appreciated.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject:

Okay, here's the update.

First of all, we're leaving the test phase open. However, there are some important notes about how we're progressing with development below. The dev process will occur in phases as follows:

Phase One: (started)
I will be working exclusively on the 'live' game, laying down a framework and the base tools the staff will need to do their own development. I will only work on absolutely critical bugs in the test game at this time. All staff save myself will support players, fix bugs and add new content.

Phase Two:
Programming staff move over to dev the live game. They will only work on the test game to fix critical problems. Non programming staff will continue to do events, alterers, build areas and assist players.

Phase Three:
Remaining staff begin working on shops and additional areas for the live game. At this time, non-programming staff will still assist players when possible and may do rare events or alterers, but for the most part they will be working on the live game.

At some point after phase three begins, I will resume staff hiring as well. I may hire programming staff during phase two, also. Applicants for history and documentation writers will be considered throughout this process.

As indicated above, the available staff will dwindle considerably as we get further and further into dev. I realize this is somewhat of a strain on you, the players, but that is the nature of a test phase like this, and keeping it open while developing a new version of Haelrahv. I appreciate your support.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Announcements From The Staff » Test Phase & Stuff.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: