FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
I miss the roleplayers outnumbering the rest
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » I miss the roleplayers outnumbering the rest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: I miss the roleplayers outnumbering the rest

First off, I want to get some nice things out of the way before the rest.

Some of you guys, you're doing great with your roleplay. you have characters with backgrounds, goals, and memories. this kicks ass. My characters generally sneak around because I don't have the time to invest in anything serious right now, but since I tend to have characters nap in CC and other areas where people tend to congregate, I see what you're doing. Kudos.

Some of you other people, you're new to the game, or new to RPGs, but you're trying. A big thank you for learning the ropes and not giving up in light of the first few mistakes, or not fully getting things. You people will kick ass in time and keep the community vibrant with new things that us old farts never thought of doing.

now for the people who just don't care about RP (name changed to protect the innocent):
Code:
You sense Bandasity Meoulvue forming a mental bond with you and a thought enters your mind, "Hmm. If only I aimed for good rp."

It disheartens me to see this kind of attitude growing in the game. Not only does it discourage me (and I'm guessing some of the other people who were here for awhile - specially for the RP) from wanting to bother interacting, but what annoys me more is that it probably affects the new people who are interested in learning to RP even more.

When I started playing HR, if there was such an attitude of "hey I'm not here to RP", I don't think I would have stayed for as long as I did.

I wish I was writing about a new event this time where I got to see all the new people arriving shine. Instead there was this.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:

This is butts.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I agree with what Yaru says. While I try my damdest to stay within my RP and apply the use of ACT and XACT at least every few lines, it is extremely disheartening to have people just blow all that work off and NOT roleplay or go with it.

However, a lot of the new comers who have come to haelrahv, I've known from other games ... and I would give every one of them A+ for RP. My hope is that they don't let the seeming lack of RP dishearten them, and they get to find their niche in the world.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely love most of the new people here for the RP they're doing, even though I sadly didn't get to interact with them a lot yet.
Drakonik

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong, the people who talk about OOC things at Cloud Court annoy me too, but where do you draw the line between roleplaying and not roleplaying? I've seen everyone doing it in one form or another.

What exactly do YOU mean by 'roleplaying'? I've heard so many complaints in so many games about people who don't 'roleplay', but nobody has ever given a solid definition on what it is, which defeats the purpose of complaining.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'd say role-playing is simply that: Developing a "role" for your character that fits with the world they live in and "playing" that role consistently.

The actual "rules" of how to role-play well are another matter, and are as controversial and hard to define as the rules of being a good citizen, or the rules of how one shows patriotism, etc.

I think it's best to follow the spirit of the concept. Pick a role, develop it, play it and always treat it with the respect it deserves as an integral part of a dear, personal, yet fictional world.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Drakonik wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the people who talk about OOC things at Cloud Court annoy me too, but where do you draw the line between roleplaying and not roleplaying?

I assume people are roleplaying until they outright say "I'm not roleplaying"
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject:

I will be contributing to this thread the names of people who make similar boasts. I forgot who it was but I was once told HR was nothing but a glorified chat room, and that right pissed me off. Consider this the Scarlet Letter thread.

Also, loathe the elitists more than those who choose not to rp. For they are a far more dastardly kind.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I agree, though I have only come across a few who outright put it as Yaru said. Whatever role you choose to portray, there is one other thing I think is critical to roleplaying. Growth.

As often as I hear the 'people don't change' phrase, we in fact do. We grow and change every day. Every experience alters us to some degree, even if it only reinforces our pre-conceived beliefs and opinions. It is essentially the very thing that defines us as human.

Unfortunately, I've found the only way to deal with those who don't wish to participate is to continue on. Those who want to will, and hopefully, watching us enjoy our RP will encourage them to make an attempt. Almost everyone I have had the pleasure of roleplaying with in any game has eventually come out of their shell and undertaken a role worth remembering.

Just my 25 cents.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Code:
H>
Seth Ventril says, "Wow Viyci."
H>
Seth Ventril says, "You sound just like Yaru."

yet another shining star of RP in Haelrahv.

it's not like Viyci's been what amounts to an Alteri nationalist from the start - so for some reason she'd dislike the dude who kidnapped Alteri, not to mention threaten to out who she worships and/or try to kill her recently for not wanting to use a certain stone at a certain altar.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:

When Viyci is saying the same old things Yaru is saying over and over and over and over and over...again, Yeah. Seth's words were justified. If you wanna call people's RP skills into question, let's talk about yours. How about you try rping something different for a change? Something aside from an obnoxious overbearing asshole maybe?

*edit*

And if you don't believe me, ask around. Several people have made this observation LONG before Seth said anything.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Seth Ventril wrote:
When Viyci is saying the same old things Yaru is saying over and over and over and over and over...again, Yeah. Seth's words were justified. If you wanna call people's RP skills into question, let's talk about yours. How about you try rping something different for a change? Something aside from an obnoxious overbearing asshole maybe?

*edit*

And if you don't believe me, ask around. Several people have made this observation LONG before Seth said anything.

The important thing is that my characters are consistently overbearing assholes. Be it the spoiled know it all kid with a grudge, the criminal out to sow chaos without being blatant about it, or the overbearing police officer. Smile

yaru and the others all have different personalities. it just so happens that, with those personalities, you're always trying to clash with them. i think you know full well that you taunt yaru about kidnapping the alteri and getting away with it, just like you've been pointiing viyci out of hiding/accusing her of doing everything under the sun from hiding/accusing her of other crimes, just like you gloat over mumon's low rank and how, if you did do something illegal, you'd be in jail, but not like that matters, since he'd never catch you.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » I miss the roleplayers outnumbering the rest
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: