FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Bonding
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Bonding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Bonding

More specifically, weapon bonding.

I remember having something like this in another game I used to play a long time ago where, with a certain amount of skill, you could BOND with a weapon. You could bond with one weapon for sure, but I think it was possible to bond with a second with more skill (I only ever recall seeing one person bonding with their weapon).

In that game, weapon bonding meant that you had become so familiar with the capabilities of your weapon that you could make an "attack of opportunity" with it. I never actually saw the weapon used in combat, but I remember it being a rare occurence. I believe it also helped reduce the TH (to-hit) number.

Now, kind of running in tandem with Deathwatchz's post about locking items, could we implement a tactics based system that allows us to familiarize ourselves with one or more weapons (based on skill) granting a small bonus to TH, an extra attack, whatever GMs think is appropriate? Once becoming familiar with a weapon, it can no longer be sold in shops.

I think it would be interesting to have to PRACTICE with the weapon repeatedly, either in shooting ranges or with practice dummies, with intermitten time between practices before you could familiarze yourself with it. By no means a short process, but after say 10% the weapon no longer becomes sellable.

I know it's not a complete fix for selling the wrong items, but it would at least be a good IC reason for weapons no longer being accidentally sold.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Deathwatchz
Korell Ventril

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I'd also wondered about RP reasoning for locking items. Maybe if it were locking/bonding weapons or somesuch, you could have the RP reasoning of initial's carved into it, attaching a nameplate, or something where the item is "tagged" and the shopkeeper responding with "who's going to want to buy this, when you've already tagged it?" or maybe just to make it easier, having it show as the good old "this item is of no value to me" or maybe wear & tear doing this?

for gameplay purposes, i've seen several reasons for weapon bonding. some were in games where you dropped the weapon upon death or destruction of the hand holding it, and it would prevent the random passerby from stealing it and using it as their own. others would use the bond to improve skills with it, gain a special trick with the weapon, or gain access to "bond specific" abilities, (though they were profession based). or maybe having the item 'bonded' by an NPC priest for a specific god, and having a blessing of that god on it? (for either mucho $$ or one per character?) but i think this should both prevent selling of the item, as well as use by others, were that the case.

it would all depend on what direction the combat system were to go into, but i wouldn't be against perhaps the combat classes being able to pick some kind of "specialization", wether it be attached to a single weapon, a skill type, or several, but i'd prefer the idea of one or a pair of items. this type of idea has a lot of ways you could branch out, and depending on game balance, it should be difficult to achieve, were the results to be special.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject:

i don't think there needs to be an RP logic behind it except for a message like

"You start to sell X, but you quickly remember that it means too much to you."
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Yaru. As much as I like RP ideas behind things...I don't wanna have to go through a 5 month process every time I pick up a new weapon to add to my collection. As it were, I already have 6 that I commonly use, though only 5 are irreplaceable without great strain on resources.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Deathwatchz
Korell Ventril

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject:

well for me, the RP bit was only part of the deal. whatever the reasoning, having a specific weapon with special tricks from 'bonding' it might be nice. this could also be separate from the item lock, and only be used for a single weapon, or pair of weapons, depending on what kind of bonus it gets. might be interesting to see a blessed sniper rifle doing (minor) extra damage to undead/evil, more accuracy, reducing resistance against it, or somesuch.

admittedly i kinda merged my thread with this thread, but since it seemed to be covering the topic of item locks as well, figured id bring it up. i think the primary focus of this thread was having weapons doing more than they did when you originally got them, which is why it might take months, cash, or a limited number of selections to do it. admittedly, it might be a hassle for those who use 6 or 7 weapons, but the weapons would still be just as good as when you first got them, rather than a penalty for not knowing how to use them right.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject:

It was just an idea that I had been thinking of suggesting and decided to join the two things together. Though, frankly, I would seriously dislike any system that allowed you to become "bonded" with more then two weapons. Three at the absolute most.

Only reason I suggested it when I did was because it kind of went in tandem with Deathwatchz's post, but honestly, it was a singular idea.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Since there's a lack of fanfare so far...

Thanks for the PROTECT verb. Smile
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Bonding
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: