FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
irksome
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » irksome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glit

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: irksome

ok, this may only be something that applies to me.. but it's finally gotten to me enough that i figured i'd just put it out there. it irks me when people reference their race directly to explain something they do or say. for instance (and so as not to directly quote anyone, i'm using homemade examples off the top of my head), 'i'm an eolai, so of course i'm snobby' or 'i'm not too quick.. jaddan, ya know.' it just completely removes me from any sense of rp when i see it. to me, out and out using your race is like saying 'and now, in the event you've not read it, i will rehearse my race file information'. anyone know what i mean at all, or am i just overcritical?

while i'm at it, i'd like to say that _in general_ i don't tend to see a lot of people playing to their races (as per the admittedly limited information now available in the race files - and before anyone gets upset, i say limited cause i'm assuming and hoping we'll get much more when the histories and so forth have been reviewed and made public). maybe it's just that we're in the testing phase and everyone's in a mad dash to make all the exp they can or just wanting to get to know one another, but that's just the way i see things. but please understand that there are people about who i, in my humble opinion, think are doing great jobs rping their characters/races.

in closing, i'd like to hear what other people feel on these issues and hope that no one takes this as rude or a personal attack, because i certainly don't mean it that way. i'm just putting my thoughts out there. please don't hit me. Shocked

-glit
i asked for something, i've not got it yet
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I personally have always liked the racial aspect and felt it adds far more rp potential that what class/guild/profession you are. I like when the "dwarves" don't like the "elves" or whatever, and hate when race gets glossed over into nothing more the what stat profile you want to work with.

When people refer to their race as a reason for something, I see it as at least trying. And you never know, it might even be a self depreciating crack at racial stereotypes.

I think it'll be fun when more of the racial information histories are released and you guys know more about how your races interact.
glit

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject:

HR-Hunter wrote:
I personally have always liked the racial aspect and felt it adds far more rp potential that what class/guild/profession you are. I like when the "dwarves" don't like the "elves" or whatever, and hate when race gets glossed over into nothing more the what stat profile you want to work with.

i definitely agree with this, it's kind of what i was getting at in my last post. i'd like to see more people rp out their races and professions. it's the self-referencing that irks me. being a jaddan and acknowledging that, hey, you're a little slow some times is very different (to me anyhow) than coming out and saying 'i'm slow because i'm jaddan'. the latter just feels like you're reading me your race file rather than playing a character of that race. i know what the file says, what i want to see is how an individual interprets that information into their rp.

Quote:
When people refer to their race as a reason for something, I see it as at least trying. And you never know, it might even be a self depreciating crack at racial stereotypes.

if it was a crack at a racial stereotype, it wouldn't be bugging me.. i do have a sense of humor, ya know! Wink
i mean, maybe i'm being overly critical and picky, but i can't help the way i feel. the last few muds i dabbled with while waiting for haelrahv to open it's doors were very rp intensive and have really raised my expectations from the kind of rp i was used to before on modus (not a slight to modus or its players, mind you.. but i'm talking in terms of race mostly and also profession - two things which modus either didn't have or didn't really focus on).

Quote:
I think it'll be fun when more of the racial information histories are released and you guys know more about how your races interact.

looking forward to it!

-glit
i asked for something, i've not got it yet
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject:

Hmm, RPing with races....An Eolai who wants to become a flying fairy Darju? *ponders*
HR-Draxx

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject:

As Trevor mentioned before elsewhere on the boards, much of the information that IS viewable on the web page is not correct any longer. for example, if you wander and look around the Jaddan Temple you will quickly realize that their gods are now much different.

As an aside though, the builders have tried to make SOME information on each race somewhat discernable through the four outlying sectors of Llanfair. A few of the NPCs may actually even respond to questions if you ask them.

You can, of course, offer up thoughts about each of the five races on their respective race boards. As many have found out since we've opened for this test, we are all ears to suggestions and take a great deal of them to heart.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject:

If anyone's been following along with the events regarding the royal family lately, they may notice that some tidbits of Eolai history are being dropped here and there.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject:

I did! But I can't put 2 and 2 together so someone had better write it up afterwards <sigh>
 Back to top »
Deblaeju

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I know I made a comment the other day about me being jaddan an having hard time reading. but, wasn't trying to put it out as i'm Jaddan an slow, after all i'm a psionicist (sp), it was meant as a wisecrack about our race that most think. Wink
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » irksome
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: