FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
What it means to be a Merc?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » What it means to be a Merc?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: What it means to be a Merc?

Ok Raven, I really look forward to being a merc but before I get my mindframe all set about what my persona is gonna be, I have a few questions.

Are we gonna be just straight ruthless, out for ourselves killers or are we gonna be unit type killers?

Government contracts only or can we take contracts from individuals in HR?

Are we gonna have certain codes to follow or de we have some freedom in making our own rules up as we go along?

Will we be allowed to kill anyone in certain areas or under certain conditions? (don't wanna be warned or penalized for killing someone in what might would seem unprovoked PvP)

Don't get me all wrong here, I'm not looking to be able to have the freedom to go on killing sprees because I have a bad day or something. I would like to be able to take contracts from individuals though, as well as be able to make statements with the damage end of my weapons if someone rubs me the wrong way. One code I intend to live by is actions speak louder than words (I intend to do my talkin with my weapons). All this entailed, I will spend the majority of my time training against the various undesireable creatures that inhabit HR and training other skills that will make me a more proficient killer in a non PvP manner, but I sincerely hope that PvP is going to be a more open arena than in DR which makes for serious instigators with no way of dealing with them. I get so tired of folks running their mouths in DR and then hiding behind policies when someone attempts to deal with them. I hope HR won't be that way.

Nojym
 Back to top »
Raven

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject:

Hello Nojym! Good to see someone interested in The Profession. It's early in the AM for me so I'll do my best to cover your questions.

As far as being out for yourself or unit types, that's all up to you. The ideas I shared with Boss on contracts leave tons of room for your individual RP style. In fact, one could choose never to work with "official" contracts at all, roleplaying Merc-for-hire with other characters in whatever jobs you dream up. Obviously in a situation like that, the rules are "there are no rules", other than universal Haelrahv laws.

Working with Mercenary Headquarters is a different ballgame, there are rules (though they're rather loose) as you have to think of the place as a corporation. Their reputation is on the line each time you go out in their name, and there are penalties for failing to complete contracts. For example, if you're sent out to capture and return a bail jumping NPC to Titan City and you end up blowing a pumpkin sized hole in their chest instead, don't think that Headquarters is going to hand you anything worth your skills in the near future.

Codes? We don't need no stinking codes. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you want contracts from Headquarters (which in all fairness will probably be the more fun jobs as you gain levels) you do have to keep yourself relatively in line. Headquarters isn't going to hand a ya a contract to seek an destroy a murderer when you're wanted for murder yourself. Hell you'll probably already have a contract out on YOUR head, *insert maniacal laughter here* Point being, I don't care if you wanna be a daisy-sniffing loverboy who just happens to tote a massive array of weaponry (I'll be embarassed, but hey that's your choice) or you wanna share your bounty money with ten other people or spend all your time in the arena rolling heads across the sand. That's all you. I love it, love it!

As far as PvP goes, I don't know the ins and outs of how the others are setting up but I know that it will be different from one city-land-province to the next. It may seem that this would confuse people but hey, spitting gum on the sidewalk in one country might get you caned while no one cares in another, that's part of the excitement of life. I'll tell you about Titan City since that's what I know.

On starting Titan City, GM Phoenix and I immediately built a coliseum. It's the center of the city and historically it's point for foundation. Think ancient Rome, man. Like any civilized place, we're not going to have murders in the streets for any reason. After all, Titan City is reknowned for it's bloodsports and a good wholesome family environment Wink We can't have tourists getting taken out by stray pulse rifle blasts. But at any given time, you and a close friend or closer enemy can hit the sand and wail on eachother as you see fit, no one's going to complain because you're making a spectacle of it and hopefully entertaining a crowd. No one has anything to hide behind in TC. If they think they're better than you, there's no need for talk, get in the ring. Grand plans are that we can have betting on fights, events that encourage people to get in there and maim, ways to make boring fights more interesting (tired of those opponents that keep retreating from combat? So are we Twisted Evil ). Titan City is a glorious place, we take pride in what we do and if Joe and Max are stabbing one another on a street corner, they're scaring potential moneybag tourists off. We don't like that.

As for the policies of those other, far inferior ::coughs:: games, take heart in the idea that many of us building Haelrahv got our background and developed a love for this genre of RP by dealing with the good and bad aspects of them. We're working hard to make this place as enjoyable for everyone as possible, with no room for policy bending snots that spend their time abusing a system that sets up honest role players for distaster when they retaliate. I never want to lose a someone who enriches our environment because they're worn out on dealing with that.

Best regards and I look forward to seeing you in there,

~Raven
 Back to top »
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Tanks for de info. Titan city sounds like a place for us to strut our stuff (being the elite combat profession with arms). I wonder though, if I were to choose to work as a merc for hire (or both), are there going to be any exceptions to the rules in PvP. For instance, a craftsman hires me to take out someone that murdered their daughter, there's no official contract and the individual is known to be guilty but slipped through the leagal system. If I take the contract could it be argued in court for my defense and Headquarters overlook the incident due to the circumstances. I mean, it wouldn't be a contract to just kill joe meditator, I'd be taking out another known killer. There's also the question of self defense. What if someone attempts to take me out because they just don't like me or what have you and it ends up in my favor but I'm left standing with the smoking gun. Will headquarters frown on this. I'm not tryin to be too nitpicky or what have ya, I'm just inputing my two cents. I can barely contain myself much longer though. I'M READY TO WALK THE STREETS OF HAEL.

Nojym
HR-Phoenix

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject:

I'd like to add some of my thoughts and ideas into the equation.

What it means to be a Mercenary in my opinion.

It means that you have skills that should be used to the right bidder, everything has a price.

Should always respect a contract to your death, your contract is your bond and honor.

Breaking contracts reflects on you and your business.

Contracts are verbal agreements such as simple promise to a friend asking for help, never offer if you have no intention of delivering.

Work hard, fight harder.

Pulse weapons are your friend, your only friend and should make sure your work tools are in perfect condition - you wouldn't build a house with a rusty hammer. And it doesn't hurt to take your pulse weapon to bed, and like a good friend never let it leave your side.

It pays to look flash, a decent array or weapons will do you proud.

Wit and charm and pleasant attitude isn't bad for business.

It doesn't hurt to make a public show of your skills once in a while as that too, its good for business but play by the rules, your no agent who needs to hide like a thief.

Mercenary secrets are mercenacy secrets, always good to have aces up your sleeve.

The Arena in Titan City, the home of Mercs is the ideal place to impress your bosses and show potential customers of your prowess and skills, but more importantly your mental attitude towards your work.

~Phoenix~

Just some of my thoughts and opinions.
 Back to top »
dirtydwarb

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Unreal Tournament...I'm decent in that game so hopefully I'll be just as good if not better in this arena. Mmm...deathmatch.

-Lukin
 Back to top »
jimic

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: What it means to be a merc, an idea.

Should always respect a contract to your death, your contract is your bond and honor.
Breaking contracts reflects on you and your business

Per those statements buy HR-Phoenix I'd like to suggest the ability to report or accuse mercenaries that aren't living up to contractral work. Say someone hires me to complete a contract and I agree then balk on it. They should have some sort of way to report me to our guild leaders for punishment.

~jimic
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Breaking contracts reflects on you and your business

Per those statements buy HR-Phoenix I'd like to suggest the ability to report or accuse mercenaries that aren't living up to contractral work. Say someone hires me to complete a contract and I agree then balk on it. They should have some sort of way to report me to our guild leaders for punishment.

Once the bounty system is in place, something like that is planned. Since we're on the subject, I've noticed a few mercs already accepting verbal contracts. Since you're acting the part, I thought I'd mention something planned (as usual, subject to change).

When a real contract system is released, part of the deal is that you need to reveal who hired you to your target. Merc protection will hinge heavily on that. When you reveal your employer then any legal repercussions for wrongful actions would fall upon them, while if you keep it secret then it's assumed you're on your own time doing it for your own reasons.

Idea While there's no mechanics in place to support it, and probably won't be until after the test phase... might as well get used to the concept now.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » What it means to be a Merc?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: