FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tickets/Citations (a PvP law idea)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Tickets/Citations (a PvP law idea)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelasa

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Tickets/Citations (a PvP law idea)

Okay for this idea the clerk in the courthouse is able to take debts (also would make a good place to pay a starting debt if trevor wanted to do that)

Next, Bureaucrats/Troopers (I'm thinking troopers are along the lines of a guard as opposed to a merc) and maybe Guardians be able to write citations or tickets for various things. Littering, assault & battery within town limits, Treason, etc etc..

Now the more well known the person writing the citation is (exp) verus the offenders (exp again) would give how hard it would be to reverse it in court. So for instance- Kelasa sees someone leaving junk lying around (boxes etc.) and they are level 1-2, you have a level 4 bureaucrat citing a level 2 mage, it's going to be a little harder to turn around. Now if Kelasa were to cite Otesa with public endangerment, we now have a level 4 bureaucrat citing a level 8 psionic. there could be a good chance of Otesa taking the citation to court and having it removed.

Dependant on how well it's argued or won, 0 wins on the current 3 base system, he has to pay the full fine, 1 win he pays a reduced fine, 2 wins her pays no fine, Kelasa gets a warning, 3 wins, He pays no fine, Kelasa gets a fine for a bad citation.

Now say someone else catched so and so doing something and asked Kelasa to do a citation, She could write the citation, the person WITNESSes it, then the vrs would be Issuer's level + half of witness level against offencer. And let there be a chance for multiple witnesses. Also if the citation is still a full reverse everyone who signed the ticket is fined for False witness.

Now since this is a system that could easily be abused, make it so that from the level that citations are gained they can do 1 citation per day, with an extra one every additional level, or every 2 levels.

Just an idea for something for a PvP law system.

Kelasa
Quidditty

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Tickets/Citations (a PvP law idea)

Interesting idea Kelasa, sounds like you put alot of thought into it. I like the idea myself,but as you said it could be abused easily.
I like the idea of assault and battery citations, I think it would be a decent way to keep uncalled for PVP down to a minimum. As far as littering would also be a good way to give the janitor a break if people were forced to actually clean up after themselves in public areas, course more trash receptacles around town would be nice, for those who dont want to sit in cloud court.
Any ideas on what some other offenses would be Kelasa?

Quidditty
 Back to top »
Tamello

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry but I disagree with fining those that litter outside the perimeter of the town. Unless the town has some ownership rights of the area then they have no right to fine. Besides, deson't the janitor come and clean up anyway. It hardly does any harm apart from making the room slightly asthetically displeasing. I agree with fining for other reasons such as treason but I do think there should be a limit otherwise Level 1's would be taken to court by guys with more experience. This would wipe the poor Novices clean of cash. Using experience as a factor to decide who wins the case is wrong though, base it on persuasion, law, blah blah. Don't promote superiority in courts just because someone is 'bigger'.

That's my 5 pence.
Kelasa

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Further thoughts:

Allow the witness benifit to run both ways, A way to do that would be witnesses against the accused must sign before the citation is issued, witnesses for the accused sign afterwards. To deliver a citation, you write it up, give it to the clerk in the courthouse, He'd ask who is the offender, then what crime is he accused of. Then he'd send a runner with the citation or a supeona in regardance to the crime.

More for preventing abuse; If someone tries to issue more then their limit of tickets in a day, they lose that many for following days... So someone tries to cite so and so for this crime, then that crime, then this following crime, all on the same day, and they were only able to write one, they would love the ability for 2 following days.

Some other crimes, Shoplifting, pickpocketing, *ponders* feel free to offer some ideas those two came from Dillion.

Kelasa
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject:

For things like shoplifting and pickpocketing, everyone should have the ability to at least ACCUSE -- or some variation thereof -- the offender to the nearest Riley-esque NPC or Trooper Station. Which is another thing: Troopers should be the only group allowed to issue citations; they're the closest thing we have to police. Besides, if you allow Bureaucrats a hand into the judicial (debating cases -- it's close enough to judicial, anyway) and executive (issuing citations) branches of government, you can only go downhill from there.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Thinking about this, I think it'd be more like, guardians and Troopers can issue the citations, and the bureaucrats fight the court struggles. A person can hire a bureaucrat to take his defence andany bureucrat could take the side of the city.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I’m gonna throw my two cents in here. First off, I’d like to say this is an interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion Very Happy. I’m gonna have to agree with William’s suggestion that Troopers (and maybe Guardians) be the one to issue citations and Bureaucrats be the ones to take them to court. You wouldn’t go to a lawyer to arrest someone, you’d go to the police. Once the citation was recorded, I can see it being the Bureaucrat’s job to find and interview witnesses, to try the case, discover additional evidence, etc.

I have to agree with Tamello on how the cases should be handled, basing the system off of level or exp would not be the best way to judge a crime. Just because you’re higher level doesn't mean that you are well known, just as because you are low level doesn’t mean you aren’t. Along the same lines, level shouldn’t determine your guilt or innocence. I could see there being some kind of reputation system, based off how many citations you’ve been issued and whether you were cleared of the charge or not. The more guilty verdicts you’d accrue, the harder it would be to get cleared. Also, the more times you committed a certain crime, the more difficult it would be to refute the charges and the penalties would be higher.

As far as abuse, I can see how it could get outta hand, but what if I got stolen from 5 times in a row at level 1? I should have the right to make an accusation each time. Perhaps, if there is a false accusation, the accuser could be fined.

We’ve been giving a lot of thought to the justice system, but it’s really hard to balance out PvP justice. We’ll add these to our considerations, along with any other ideas, but don’t know how long it will take to come up with a system we’re happy with.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Tickets/Citations (a PvP law idea)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: