FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Performer-y Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Performer-y Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting the Focus

truth wrote:
...if you want to play a performing sort of profession, you have to be that type of person...because if you want to really develop your character's strengths you have to carry all that weight with your own abilities (rather than mechanics doing it for you).

You could always play a bad actor, or a dancer with a propensity for tripping over their own feet. ;]

truth wrote:
I think it would be good to see...dance instructions (maybe the traditional footstep instructions, or some type of high-tech holographic imager demonstrating the movements so we can learn it.

I've played one text game that had something similar to this, all guilds and professions were player run, the dancing group posted steps of "official" dances on their website. I have to say that while this sounds like a good idea -- in my opinion it translated into boring. While this game however had a unique verb parser that didn't allow for 'actions' I still feel this is something better left to the individual player. Unless of course it is directly involved with mechanics and gives some sort of bonus to the character. This isn't to say that people shouldn't learn from one another, I could see older performers giving 'dancing lessons,' things only tend to improve when people collaborate. Basically I see dances having most their glory as intermediary's in plays that the performers may put on. New Greek commedy chorus style.

truth wrote:
...and, more generally, "performances" (meaning combination of dance and music/song), since it's usually so difficult to deal with music/song and act/movements simultaneously.

I may not be following you here but wouldn't the same thing pose similar difficulties IRL? Seems the solution in both cases is to have one person produce music while the other moves to it. Of course in the realm of Haelrahv it seems plausable that the performer may have access to a CD player or some sort of prerecorded music to practice to. Still music is in my opinion is one of the most difficult things to portray in a text game (save through poetry, and then the player must trust that other people are reading the text out loud), and I'm not sure how much players would enjoy this.

truth wrote:
Also, in theater terms, we could have holographic masks that would change our appearances and voices.

Now that sounds neat. :] *thinks of something between the Greek comedy/tragedy masks and Darth Vader's*
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...may have access to a CD player...

Shocked I want one!

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
truth

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have to say that while this sounds like a good idea -- in my opinion it translated into boring.

Well, in terms of a MUD, a lot of what you're going to do for aural and visual mediums is going to be potentially boring. I realize that in terms of ever really entertaining a person, something original is probably best. It's good in a variety of ways to have stuff like song-scrolls. It develops the game environment, gives performers something to fall back on, and can have a stronger tie to mechanics than simple verbs.

Ex:

If you had songscrolls or something, you could tie it in to both the experience system and, potentially, a job-style system of performing at venues. Songscrolls could easily be incorporated into the same type of gradiated success model as something like singing apparently is, where you go from off-key at low skill levels to ... whatever (not really sure!). Songscrolls/Dancecharts/Performancescrolls can be made to work over a wider range of skill than just the basic verbs, too, since they're more demanding, and could reflect that with a variety of skill-influenced variation.

IE, when you hit the high note in a song, you could "have your voice crack" or be "unable to hold the note" or "do an admirable job of recovering from a momentary slip" or "expertly hold the note in the way that only a true master would" ... Stuff like that, with different adjectives/phrases interchangeable based on level of success. With something like that it would be possible to award a certain amount of experience for doing performances, but without it really being as abuseable as tying exp into >sing, for instance.

Also, as I said above, I'd like to see performance venues where you could make money. If one was only able to perform the mechanically-supported songscrolls/dancecharts/performancescrolls, then it'd be easy to ensure that the person doing the performance wasn't just abusing it by spamming the same few verbs and passing it off as a performance. Since they could be more strongly tied to skills than verbs, it'd also be more possible to assess, mechanically, how much a performer would make for performing at a venue.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Performer-y Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: