FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Birdies
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Non-Playable Race Discussions » Birdies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Birdies

Bored, and everyone's fallen into a quiet stupor again. So, I guess I'll offer up an idea for some future, don't-expect-it-to-be-out-at-Alpha race. They're somewhat modeled after Eaxia's breed of Avians, but I think they'd be pretty well received in Haelrahv as well. This is a very rough draft and will need much revision I'm sure, but that's why this race won't be available on Alpha, and probably not for a very long time afterward (if at all).

First thing's first -- stats:

Quote:
Agility: -2
Charisma: Neutral
Coordination: -3
Intellect: +2
Mentality: +2
Perception: -2
Strength: +2
Vitality: +1

Now, it's clear that our birdies would have quite the difficult time being either a Mage or Psionic, but they could very easily be Agents, Artisans, Guardians, Performers, or maybe even Trackers if given enough patience and love and care. Racial bonus.. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. If it's possible, I'd like to see a FLY verb that'd exempt them from having to swim or climb for a limited amount of time based on level and maybe the coordination stat. Maybe half nighttime penalties (don't want to totally infringe on the Darju's negation of it) due to their bird-like eyes?

Second: culture --

Quote:
Wings are by far the Avians most unique feature, although their eyes rank a quick second. Their wings are strong and pointed, making for a group of acrobatic fliers. Everything considered, Avians take after the Eolai, just with wings... although their eyes resemble that of an eagle's found on Earth, and they tend to have delicate hands and feet. Avians are about the same size as Eolai as well, although with their wings and powerful flight muscles they tend to weigh slightly more. They range from 5'2" to 6'8" in height for both sexes. Due to Avians having somewhat a hollow bone structure -- which aids in the feat of flight -- they are generally weaker and less vital than the other races.

That's pretty much the same as the Avians from Eaxia, with a few modifications and assumptions to fit into Haelrahv. There's no beak or anything, and feathers are just on the wings. I would assume a rather pale spectrum of skin tone, though maybe with two or three darker tones (light tan, pure ebon, and something else) As far as wings go, I'd like to see quite a few colours to personalize them -- whites, grays, blues, reds, blacks, maybe a gold or green tone or two. Two colours will be chosen; a Primary and a Secondary. An example (and don't chew me out over the name):

You see Joe Jones, an Avian.
He has a pallid complexion.
His wing's feathers are mainly a dark blue tone, though there is the occasional streak of crimson.
He is 6 feet 4 inches tall.
He seems to be young for an Avian.

I forgot how the height and age things were done in the pre-Alpha room, so forgive me if those lines are a little off. I suppose there's room to select either streaks or bands -- or whatever else you guys come up with -- for the way the Secondary colour shows up. And yes, "dark blue" was the Primary colour, "crimson" the Secondary.

As far as clothing goes.. I would like to take the leap and say that Avians, due to their wings, generally don't wear upper-body clothing. Females, though, just for decency's sake, wear tops.. and.. yeah. Moving on.

Third, Culture and such (yes, pretty much copied from Eaxia as well):

Quote:
Avians are perhaps the most bigoted of races, feeling they are the protectors of the world. They can be extremely haughty and narrow-minded when it comes to what they call the “lesser” races. This feeling of superiority -- which rivals even that of the Eolai -- is due in part to their wings (they are the only race that can fly, after all)

Avians generally will not speak their native language among the other races, though they do learn Common quite easily and at a very early age. Their own language, to outsiders, sounds like a practically indecipherable series of chirps and warbles, with varying degrees of inflection.

Eh. Not much to really comment on as far as that section goes. Fairly straightforward.

Anyway. Reply as you wish.. I don't really mind people trashing this. It's really just to spark more life into the boards again.

--William, longing for the days when there would be at least ten messages to read everyday after school

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Mausumi

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject:

Flying!

now if there was only a flying monkey race. Since that probaly won't happen, this would ROXOR enough to firmly take it's place!

~Kels (da brat, who really did just use horrible nasty chat slang....and will kick her own arse later over it)
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject:

Shoot the monkeys!

BAM!
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject:

Drake.. you are so making an Emeril character.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Draxx

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject:

The Iron Chef would kick Emeril's butt.

But more on topic...nice idea, Brokyn.
 Back to top »
Mausumi

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Shoot the monkeys!

BAM!

Joo are SOO gonna be kicked when I can get in game and find you! Deh munkays will ROXOR joo!
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject:

How about instead of a nghttime penatly reduction (they're not owls after all...or are they) they could say....peer a couple rooms in a direction instead the normal 1. And they would get a bonus to surveying perhaps. And maybe in the fly mode they would have a chance to be hit debuff (Not sure I said that right, as in, it would be harder to hit them) but also you'd have a reduction to their chance to hit with melee weapons. Guns would take maybe 3 times the RT since they would have to cushion the recoil of the gun. But maybe stuff like archery would be good for them, or polearms, so they might get a plus for that. Also though, since they'd have to be pretty damn light they would have to take more damage than average (this would be a major drawback considering their lack of armor) so maybe you could change the stats around and make it so they can learn magic and compensate with magical shields, or perhaps just give them their own lines that they can invoke different types of shields. Like one to deflect throw/arrows, ones to deflect different types of damage, and ones to absorb energy from pulse weapons. Thats just some ideas since you would want to give them an all around plus, because that'd be to easy. I think they should have a stealth reduction to, I mean, think about it, you have these huge wings you need to hide also =\. To balance out these drawbacks you'd have to give them some nice pluses....but I can't really think of any more except maybe a bonus to kicking? maybe not just only do they have wings but claw like fingernails?.

Just some idea's off the top of my head...I like the idea of an avian race.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject:

BTW there are items and cyber technology that will allow you to peer 2 rooms at once in a single direction.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject:

<flail> are you serious?! Shweet! So it would just be an advantage that the birdies don't need to buy those =d
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject:

As for the stats.. now that I look back on them, they really do hinder the birdies down badly, don't they? I'm obviously not in the right mind yet to play with them, but the only thing I can think of is to give them a +3 to strength and vitality, much like the Alteri have, and take some of the penalty-burden off of their mentals. <shrug> Or, maybe..

Quote:
Agility: Neutral
Charisma: +1
Coordination: -3
Intellect: +1
Mentality: +1
Perception: -3
Strength: +1
Vitality: +2

That'd give you the sight and ease of motion most birds are known for, while at the same time lifting some of the burden off of their mentals. I can't really explain the Charisma penalty, other than birds tend to run off a different social hierarchy than most of the other humanoid societies -- or some other kind of BS that sounds better -- so they'd have a harder time interacting with them. They lost their speed (agility), though, but that's not too big of an issue. They also gain a little bit more strength with this setup, but at the same time lose a little bit of health.. feel free to make up your own setup if you wish; it's not like I have legal rights to the race or anything (..yet.. teehee).

As far as racial bonuses go, I'd like to keep the "half nighttime penalty" deal; their natural keen perception, owl or not, would at least give them some kind of sight during the darkest of hours, don't you think? Maybe, if it's possible to code, with high levels of perception (along with character level 30 or 50) you could gain a complete negation of nighttime penalties. Would be pretty nice, I think.

Weapons and combat. If I were an Avian race, and I could fly, I would definantly stay way out of range of melee and pole weapons. So I would like to see both those weapon types fall useless to an Avian in flight; however, that still leaves Thrown, Pulse, Guns, Bows, and some Exotic weapons (flamethrower, anyone?) wide open to hit the little birdie.. not to mention magic and psionics. In the same respect, Avians shouldn't be able to use melee and pole weapons while in flight, and would gain a bit of extra RT while using guns and pulse weapons as to reduce recoil.. thrown, bows, and exotics should stay at about the same RT, though maybe with an extra second or two to compensate for their flapping wings and such (any movement is not good for an archer or knife thrower).

In my opinion, I'd like to see them get some kind of penalty to wearing armor.. or at least have it hinder the time they can stay in Flight severely. Weight -- especially if not distributed over the body properly -- is never a bird's friend. As far as a stealth penalty, I don't think that's completely justified; they could easily fold their wings down behind them as they shifted into the shadows. A bonus to Kick or Claw (the latter not even a choice at the moment, but still) would be nice, but we can't ask for too much can we? Smile

--William, finally found a Mountain Dew

PS: Yes, the natural ability to peer two rooms over would be pretty nice, but like I said.. we can't ask for too much at this point.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Well I would think since their choice of weapons in flight are so limited that over the years the species would have just involved into natural fighters with say the bow or exotic and so wouldn't have a penalty, and why wouldn't they use a pole while in flight? Seems liek the only feasible melee weapons they could have, since you could easily fly about your opponent in pole range.
 Back to top »
BlueEyes

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject:

HEHEHE shoot da monkeys shoot dem dead! Oohh did I Say that? hehe bad me.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Non-Playable Race Discussions » Birdies
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: