FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Psionic Combat Suggestion
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » Psionic Combat Suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Psionic Combat Suggestion

Being a big fan of the movie Jumper that came out on the 14 of february, I thought it would be cool if we (meaning psions) could have something similiar. Let me explain.

The ability to "jump" is just like Instant Recall. They have the ability to leap to "memorized" locations called Jump sites. But they can also jump small spaces with ease. Basic run-down and no spoilers from the movie.

It would be absolutely bad ass if we could add this into combat for psions. Once a psion gets Instant Recall, a quest is unlocked where they can learn to use their ability to teleport to evade incoming attacks or make "attacks of opportunity" on opponents by teleporting to a different location.

Hell, I would love it if the attacks were command operated and not randomized like I envision the evasion would be. The evasion could at lower levels be about 10% of the time or so, and only momentarily escape damage. The higher the level makes it a little more often, though not much, with the added bonus of taking the psion out of melee range (or room). IT would of course take from the focus pool to perform.

Same with the attacks, sort of. Depending on your choice of melee weapon, you could jumpslash jumpbash jumpthrust jumppunch/kick to perform an attack that lowers the creatures defenses, deals slightly more damage, but also has the drawback of disorienting the psion (gets less noticeable higher in levels) with a decent RT not dependent of the weapon, but the actual skill of the psion. I see it as ... jump into combat, slash/bash/thrust/punch, jump past the creature out of range. Or miscalculate and end up in range or something.

Just my quick, hastily-written thoughts.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject:

i like the idea of jumping to retreat (and to a lesser extent, evade) but the attack one sounds like it just lets melee weapons work at missile range, plus do more than what jumpkick and flyingkick already do.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, what I was thinking for the attacks is that is was a warm-up type thing like backstab. You can use it repeatedly, but the chance for disorientation, nuerological damage, focus cost and mis-jumps raises drastically.

So, for instance, a psion jumpslashes a creature. An eighth of the psion's focus is used, he experiences very slight disorientation (a stumble to catch himself, for example) and no brain damage.

However, he jumps a second and third time without waiting for the cooldown period to pass. The focus cost for the third one is roughly three times the amount the first would be, the disorientation skyrockets (perhaps he falls/kneels down after making the attack to portray the strain on his various organs), and he begins having severe ticks in his cheek.

Now, if he -really- was desperate, he could jump attack again, but risk killing himself. The way I see it, it's like the Mage's special magical attack, but since (and I may be wrong) I heard Psion's are supposed to be more combat geared then mages, I figured it would be nifty to be able to do something like this.

As to the retreat/evade; I really like the retreat idea/command. It becomes too difficult to retreat as a psion rises in levels without having an ability to leave combat. I'd be more then willing to have the side-effects from any "jump-related" skills stack so long as they become less dramatic as the psion grows in experience (aka, levels). But of course, there's a bunch of variables in there that would have to be coded, so I'm not too sure how much work it would be.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:

Not bad ideas, if properly implemented for balance sake.

Right now, psions are way too badass in combat, to be frank, and that will be changed in the near future, but some variety and flavor to any profession is always a good thing.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I agree that Psion's are a bit TOO bad ass in combat or in all around generalnis (Yes, I'm aware that's probably not a word. It sounded neat).

Something I'd really like to see for psions is more combat geared with psionic boosts, type thing. I'm pretty sure I've heard that psions are more combat geared ... correct me if I'm wrong.

Something I've always wanted to see was a mediocre combatant with telepathic abilities. Pretty much a jack of all trades master of none. I've never really been a big fan of the cast-and-forget psionic spells (psionic hammer, etc, with multiple attacks with one casting) because it would seem, to me, that it would take immense focus to be able to do that.

I'd personally like to see:

Combat geared skills ... evasion, weapon, MAYBE tactics.
(In lieu of evasion have the "jump" ability to give us a decent chance of surviving attacks at level)

Combat geared powers: Jump ability to make attacks, and instead of leaving combat, has a chance to force opponent out of range. Can only be used at pilum range or further (to simulate multiple jumps to build momentum). Powers that are instantaneous, but not multiple (until very high levels) that aren't insanely powerful ... less then a normal mage spell.

Include different "schools" of powers. For instance, pyrokinetics, telepaths, jumpers (for lack of better names), and materialists.

Have skills that correspond with each school, and powers that only those schools could have. So, a psion could take all the school skills, and be very poor in the combat department, or they could pick and choose from combat/psionics to create a very unique psion.

Of course, I've just gone into the boons of something like that. I'd hope they'd be equally balanced with negatives to make it something not too powerful, but still fun to play.

Again, this is something I'd just like to see, but I know it's probably a slim chance. Just figured I'd offer it up as a suggestion.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » Psionic Combat Suggestion
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: