FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Fetish ...
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Fetish ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Fetish ...

and no, not the sexual kind.

I know there is a bunch of stuff planned for artisans, but this is kinda of an artisan/psion mix idea. I thought that it could be similar to jewelry crafting (the cutting of the gems part) to produce various forms of fetish; all representing different things. I was thinking craftmanship, appraisal and maybe to some extent sculpture as skills to base this off of.

Some shapes to use:
Aerok, asapi, vacori, sshliss, gilto, kashaga, olaetai, eraesha, hushoguj, gragrock, etc, etc. Mostly natural animals and not the "humanoid" types of critters.

So, an artisan (or preferably anyone craftable) gets a stone. We'll use turqoise for an example. They get the stone, trim it down to size, two-three units, and mark it with the animal-shape. Then they begin carving it ... prolly with little handsaws more then anything else. Polish 'em up, and done. Short and sweet explanation, but I'm too tired to go into detail. Would be neat to be able to get various types of necklace cords to string them on, too, so they become wearable.

However, you could also take the finished fetish to a Psion who could do some nifty thing like ... I dunno. Find the living counterpart to the fetish, kill it, and sort of Call the creature's spirit to inhabit the fetish, imparting to it a bonus that would be appropriate for the creature. For example, a turquoise dakandok fetish has been made, and Vae goes out to kill a dakandok and absorb it's soul (hahaha). The fetish, when worn, imparts a resistance bonus (prolly a good amount 5-10%) because of the dakandoks natural resistance to whatever (slashing? I just remember they have thick shells). But it might also make you weaker to some other things. Or perhaps with a quick creature, it will absorb some of the agility/evasion imparting it to the wearer (sshliss, maybe).

Just sounds psionic-related to me. Maybe tracker/psion would be better.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject:

A little more thought ...

Code:

look stone
You see two units of a turquoise stone.

carve stone to block
You begin the slow, laborious process of shaping your stone into a roughly-formed turquoise block.

mark block with <fetish> (we'll use sshliss for an example)
Using your sharnuk pencil, you mark your turquoise stone with the rough shape of a sshliss.

shape block with handsaw (with saw in hand)
You carefully begin working the details into the stone, painstakingly following the outline.
... ...
... ... ...
You have completed a rough turquoise sshliss fetish!

buff fetish
<whatever>

look fetish
Carved from <color> turquoise, this finely-carved fetish is in the shape of a writhing sshliss.

Mebbe have settings or something that they can be fit in that can make them attachable to things similar to charms?

Then for the enhancement properties:
Code:

You see a corpse of a sshliss.

draw sshliss to fetish (or something)
Placing the <quality> <stone> sshliss fetish near the sshliss' mouth, you begin focusing on drawing the spirit of the animal out.
RT: 60 seconds.

You successfully free the sshliss' spirit, and direct the <wispy><faint><pulsating> essence towards a such-and-such fetish. 
RT: 25 seconds.

The fetish glows <imperceptibly><brightly><brilliantly>, the light flickering for a moment and dying.  You have successfully imbued your fetish!

The three different options are skill based results which provide a greater bonus (and/or more bonuses up to a max of two? Three?) the better it is. This should be incredibly difficult to do, maybe occult and mentality based with a bit of psionic ability and intell thrown in for it to be mastered.

Any thoughts from anyone else? Staff?

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:

it should take more units to make a fetish. normal jewelry takes at least like 10 units, i think.

also, more units should result in a bigger fetish. fetish items should also decay over time, and shrink in size. so it benefits to have a bigger size fetish so it'll last longer, even though you'll get diminishing returns in the long run.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:

You can make jewelry with two or three units easily.

And I would object to the fetish decaying. I mean, they're extremely valuable IRL and I would be pissed if mine started dissolving for no apparent reason. Though, I suppose it wouldn't be unheard of that the spirit of the creature inside essentially begins destroying it's prison after time, thereby decreasing the longevity of the fetish.

So I guess I wouldn't object after all, but I still wouldn't imagine it decaying quickly. Weeks with the poorest quality fetish and up to months as the quality increases.

It would be cool if the spirit would occasionally escape, too. Perhaps each time it does and another is recaptured, the fetish begins decaying more or less depending on skill.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:

i'm pro it decaying because i don't think it's a good idea to let a profession be capable of flooding the market with skill/stat boosters.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i'm pro it decaying because i don't think it's a good idea to let a profession be capable of flooding the market with skill/stat boosters.

And you get to charge to replace things? That's the only thing I see that decay would do, is allow the crafters to make more money. And at the prices charged, that'd rock.... For the crafters.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

dragonseyes wrote:
soundless wrote:

And you get to charge to replace things?

I suppose.

Quote:
That's the only thing I see that decay would do, is allow the crafters to make more money.

It would also limit the ability for characters to have a billion fetishes on them at all times. It would be counter productive to always have to replace a large number of them.

Quote:
And at the prices charged, that'd rock.... For the crafters.

...and? I see no reason why crafting professions shouldn't charge for things, or why things should be one-shots that last forever.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

Quote:
And at the prices charged, that'd rock.... For the crafters.

...and? I see no reason why crafting professions shouldn't charge for things, or why things should be one-shots that last forever.

Oh, nothing... Laughing
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject:

...okay then?
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject:

A billion fetishes would be a bit difficult to manage if only three neckworn items can be worn.

However, I see the point Soundless has. It's just like the stagnation that is already evident in crafting. While there is an occasional desire for extra clothes, it's mostly used for the profession to gain experience. Most people would lean towards store-bought weapons instead of having them crafted for the convenience. So all in all you make one thing for someone, and that's it. There isn't a need for you to ever do it again.

So some decay is necessary, I think, to prevent something like that from happening. But decay for the sake of decay isn't something that I would want to see. Just by wearing some clothes, they shouldn't lose out. Just by wearing a stone figurine, it shouldn't start losing some pieces off of it. However, if the spirit inside of the figurine is the cause for the degradation I could see it happening.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject:

it having to be recrafted or rebonded or reanythinged works Wink

just as long as, like you said, it isn't a "okay i met a psion once never have to do that again" type of deal.

i figure since communicators and other tech gadgets (and 'crat computers/medic gear/etc) work fine enough the way they are (needing upkeep), things can't be that bad.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i figure since communicators and other tech gadgets (and 'crat computers/medic gear/etc) work fine enough the way they are (needing upkeep), things can't be that bad.

From what I've read, we aren't talking about just simply losing functionality on an item. We're talking about Quality decaying. I remember spending well over 250k to get the quality of a weapon up to the highest I could get it. And if quality degraded, I'd be out of money really fast. WIth my comm, I've not had to have it repaired in a long time. I have the best comm chip, the integrity upgrade, and I rarely use it. As for my medical equipment, I have to get it fixed on a semi regular basis. And we aren't talking ANYTHING like the cost you are for items to be refixed. I don't charge to repair people, and the Tech's are nice enough not to charge to repair my devices. The fact that I choose to tip well, well, that's my choice. And I appreciate the tech's dropping what they are doing to help me.

Thank you, Tech's, You Rock!!!
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject:

dragonseyes wrote:
soundless wrote:

From what I've read, we aren't talking about just simply losing functionality on an item. We're talking about Quality decaying.

...actually, we're not talking about either of those things. we're talking about FETISH QUALITY decaying, which is a suggested concept that does not even exist yet. so where you got weapon decaying from in this thread, i'm not really sure.

Quote:
As for my medical equipment, I have to get it fixed on a semi regular basis. And we aren't talking ANYTHING like the cost you are for items to be refixed. I don't charge to repair people, and the Tech's are nice enough not to charge to repair my devices. The fact that I choose to tip well, well, that's my choice. And I appreciate the tech's dropping what they are doing to help me.

Thank you, Tech's, You Rock!!!

...and i have no clue what that has to do with anything, let alone what you think i would charge to fix things, considering there's nothing to fix, so i'm not really sure how i'm charging anything to fix things that aren't yet in need of fixing.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry, your right, I'm stupid, I have no clue what I am talking about. Please don't use your superior brainpower and crush me, because I am weak. Whatever. This is the last thing I am posting on this, I already think I post too much. But here it is.

soundless wrote:
here we go! Very Happy

weapons and armor should work similar to carving knives for the woodworking system (and on a lesser note the spellsong bonus of tuned instruments) in terms of damage/decay.

BUT, it shouldn't just be that a weapon is the same at 100% quality as it is as 1%, and then at 0% it goes magically dead or unworkable or whatever.

so here goes this proposal!

rules of repair:

1) the quality of the weapon should be directly related to it's state of repair. as your item is damaged, it loses quality. this is a common sense thing i think that should be put into effect.

Code:
quality       repair state
abysmal       (0%)
very poor     (5%)
poor          (20%)
below average (40%)
average       (50%)
above average (60%)
good          (70%)
very good     (80%)
excellent     (90%)
remarkable    (100%)
phenomenal    (110%)
amazing       (120%)
spectacular   (130%)
astounding    (140%)
impressive    (150%)
extraordinary (160%)
fantastic     (170%)
unbelievable  (180%)

2) as an extra rule, no item can ever be repaired to above remarkable/100% in most situations (a nice exception list is below!)
2a) troopers should be allowed to repair all armors better than average, and be given a repair quality cap of 125%.
2b) trackers should be allowed to repair tanned armors better than average, once again to 125%.
2c) mercenaries should be allowed to repair all weapons better than average, once again to 125%
2d) everyone should be allowed to repair their primary weapon better than average, but only to 110% primary in this case being the first selection for your weapon specialization.
2e1) artisans should be able to repair everything non-tech better than everyone to 140%.
2e1) techs should be able to repair everything tech better than everyone to 140%.
2f) if you are the craftsman of the item, you get an extra 10% repair bonus

Code:
if Yaru crafts you some phenomenal armor, as it decays over use it will never go back to being at a quality state that it originally was, but...

1) Yaru could repair it to 150% for you
2) Another artisan could repair it to 140% for you
3) A tracker could repair it to 125% for you
4) You could repair it yourself to 100% (if you're not a tracker or artisan)

3) all items will have personal repair caps upon creation. if someone makes armor that starts off at good quality, all the Yaru-ing in the world won't bring it to astounding quality. nor would a merc be able to forage up a big rock and make it amazing quality.
3a) the bonus of upgrading at Vale would change to being able to raise this personal repair cap up until remarkable. you'd have to get the repairs to make it that way elsewhere.

4) repair materials for quality beyond X (TBD) won't be local/easy to obtain/common/cheap/something.

comments?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:

dragonseyes wrote:
I'm sorry, your right, I'm stupid, I have no clue what I am talking about. Please don't use your superior brainpower and crush me, because I am weak. Whatever. This is the last thing I am posting on this, I already think I post too much. But here it is.

i'm aware i wrote about an idea elsewhere, but that concept has nothing to do with this concept, which is what is being discussed here.

if you want to talk about that concept, you should post in that thread, since that isn't the topic of discussion here.

i'm hoping the italics help point out why talking about it here in this thread is off topic and doesn't help discuss what we're currently discussing.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Fetish ...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: