The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » Effect Vs Skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

200 mental and 337 psi (and not a psionic) gets me
Code:
You are under the influence of the following psionic powers:
   Balance which will expire in 10 minutes and 54 seconds.
   Trance which will expire in 17 minutes and 21 seconds.
   Alluring Aura which will expire in 39 minutes and 42 seconds.
   Precognition which will expire in 1 hour, 15 minutes, and 13 seconds.

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
Heh, precognition and alluring aura are a bit better now, I get worse results with everything else.. spirit guide's focus cost is much much lower now, (or this is the first time I've noticed) too bad he is about a third as useful.
Owell, I asked for change. Very Happy

How do you fair at your end of the level scale, drusilla?

Spirit Guide's cost wasn't changed. The power is better than before, but only if you have enough skill to make it so. Wink

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Code:

Did you use multiple uses of precognition? That looks like way too high of a duration for a single invocation, and likely an error in the code, if so.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
soundless wrote:
Code:

Did you use multiple uses of precognition? That looks like way too high of a duration for a single invocation, and likely an error in the code, if so.

that's the duration i always got with precog.
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject:

Yea. it and self levitation last a good long while. (atleast now, when I'm over 100.)

180(195)mental and 233(291)psionic ability (oh and I'm a psionic!) gets me:
Balance which will expire in 10 minutes and 42 seconds.
Trance which will expire in 16 minutes and 9 seconds.
Alluring Aura which will expire in 35 minutes and 9 seconds.
Precognition which will expire in 1 hour, 7 minutes, and 37 seconds.

The duration of spirit guide still seems really short, did you adjust that at all?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

I don't think I changed spirit guide's duration, at least not intentionally. I'm making a note to check the durations on all of these abilities soon.

Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

While we're on the subject of psionic abilities, Is it intended for Greater Scavange to go off actual level, and not effective level?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I'll mull that one over too.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:

[10.22.07]
- The minimum and maximum durations for the following have been adjusted: Precognition, Alluring Aura, Attune Eyesight, Balance, Spirit Guide.
- The maximum bonus for Alluring Aura and Attune Eyesight for psionics was lowered from 20 to 12 (higher than 12 wasn't intended.)
- The maximum creature level that can be affected by Lesser Scavenge and Greater Scavenge has been increased. Additionally, the maximum level for creatures affected by Greater Scavenge is now based on effective level rather than actual level.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:

Code:
   Balance which will expire in 7 minutes and 11 seconds.
   Precognition which will expire in 11 minutes and 48 seconds.
   Alluring Aura which will expire in 11 minutes and 58 seconds.

can the times (especially balance) get a little bit of a bump back up?

also, since they're much shorter, i'd definitely appreciate if we could reset the durations with a recasting instead of having to wait for them to fade away. it's always been annoying [to me] to have 1 or 2 minutes left on something like precog, and not be able to reset the duration. instead i either have to sit around and wait for it to fade or go start hunting again knowing it will end up dying out right in the middle of a fight.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
can the times (especially balance) get a little bit of a bump back up?

Not likely. These abilities are powerful and have little cost compared to potions, for example. We definitely never intended for powers that boost a stat to last an hour or more.

Quote:
also, since they're much shorter, i'd definitely appreciate if we could reset the durations with a recasting instead of having to wait for them to fade away. it's always been annoying [to me] to have 1 or 2 minutes left on something like precog, and not be able to reset the duration. instead i either have to sit around and wait for it to fade or go start hunting again knowing it will end up dying out right in the middle of a fight.

This is much more reasonable (and actually I thought it already did this but I hadn't verified as much in the code, so I'm glad you brought it up.)

Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

I thought it had been intended that we would be able to do attune eyesight better then a non-psionic?

11minutes and 30 seconds for alluring aura, attune eyesight, and precognition.. 7 minutes now for balance.. Who hunts for that little of an amount of time?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

It's not intended to last an entire hunt. Psionics do get more benefit from the ability. Your psionic ability skill affects the (uncapped) duration, and you'll hit the cap on the bonus much sooner. Others can hit the bonus cap too, but it takes much more effort to do so.

Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm kinda getting the feeling Psion's are getting nerfed. Not saying this is true, but it is what I feel.

Just to clarify the feeling a little more, so it's not considered a gripe, but more of a constructive concern.

First, the duration for powers that aid us in combat is shortened (drastically for some, but noticeably for most), essence cost is higher (on some), and, in my opinion, the usefulness of them has dropped significantly. Now, I don't normally use those powers anyways, prefering to rely on a combination of physical and mental and also continuing my RP, so this won't drastically effect my playing style a whole bunch. But I could imagine that the pure psionics, the one's who deign to use any "mundane" weaponry, would feel somewhat shafted. I mean, if you have to focus every ten minutes on stat boosting powers, that's pretty draining on focus in and of itself. Then tack on the focus cost to cast attack powers, and even with trance, you run the risk of being seriously depleted of focus very quickly. I'm not the "proper" psion type, but I generally am only able to cast maybe three of the stat booster before my focus is almost completely depleted.

I do however enjoy that a lot of the powers are skill based instead of stat; It means that you MUST train the proper skills to become effective ... most people wouldn't waste the skill point allocation to become as powerful as Psion's so we still have our perks.

Yes, some of these were likely mistakes in code, and needed to be corrected; I'm glad they were. Yet, I can't shake the feeling that Psions are becoming a "Jack of all trades, master of none" even when they should be vastly superior ... but that could just be me. Some powers should be changed and looked at; unlock/disarm traps for example, because they infringe upon another professions territory. Psions aren't the greatest of alchemists; we rely on our powers to give us the same boosts. (oh yes, and a tangent about potions and powers. Powers are faster, more readily available then potions, has a very short duration and gives a hefty bonus; but for a few hours work you can make a potion that gives a slightly less bonus but can potentially last 100+ hours with no essence cost and also has the added bonus of being sellable. Not really all that equivalent, IMO)

I'm not trying to be argumentative, Trevor, and I know you have the best interest for all of us players at heart, but I'm having to adapt Vae due to these changes, and he's becoming more, and more physical ... I hardly use *any* of my psionic powers unless I'm in a jam.

Now time for a few suggestions:

Would it be possible, in an attempt to combat the heavy essence cost of powers, to up the gathering power of Cleanse? It's almost completely useless as a way to get essence in and in my opinion, it's just a glorified 15(estimate) second RT DISCARD that takes care of a lot of junk with little effort. I think the most I've ever gotten back with cleanse was about 5% of my focus, if that, which isn't even enough to cover the essence drain to cast pychic hammer once which runs about 7-8% of my essence (at least for me ... again, Vae isn't the "proper" psion).

I also wouldn't mind seeing stat boosting powers to be limited to how many can be cast at once. Base it off of intel or something. For being limited, I'd also like to see the focus cost drop, but also drain focus for a set amount for as long as the power is available. This way it would represent the constant focus it would require to use these powers.
~~~~~ OR ~~~~~
I'd like to see a verb (FOCUS for example) that uses focus to replenish the powers already on a psion to increase duration. I would hope the subsequent focus would cost much less, since you're only maintaining the focus for the power, but maybe have a good chunk of RT depending on how many powers in use, or limit how many can be raised like this dependant on intelligence or mentality (or a combo of both).

I'd also still like to see psionic weaponry (refer to the other post regarding it) which never had a distinctive yes or no attached to it.

Last, but not least, I'd also like to see something that helps us combat the undead more. (BANISH, perhaps Razz)

That's about all my concerns/suggestions for this, and I'm sorry for the lengthy post. Hopefully I'm just exaggerating things, and just need to be corrected for it to finally hit home Embarassed .

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the post.

Psionics have been intended, in my mind, to be sort of a hybrid class. Not really necessarily on par with Mages in terms of just using powers non stop, but having some very inventive and useful powers to supplement what martial abilities they have.

I'm planning to carefully look at focus costs, the focus pool size, and focus regen rates for both Mages and Psionics soon, however, because it's the kind of thing that gets distorted over time and either focus becomes irrelevant or too relevant.

One last thing... the concept that something shouldn't be changed because of what it used to be isn't really a valid argument in my view, but I don't know that you were necessarily making that argument anyway. Still, I wanted to mention my view on it, which is that developments for the future of Haelrahv should never be held back by the past.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Psionics » Effect Vs Skill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: