FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I find it easier to consider GMs, when dying/talking/etc as IC entities, even though they function on an OOC level as well.

There's Trevor Rage the character who says hi sometimes and slaps people into oblivion, and then there's Trevor Rage the GM who handles when things go wrong.

So and so being thrown into a blender is the same to Yaru as Seth dying. It's some dude having a sucky day, that's all.

The only way to stop people from acknowledging GMs is to make it so they have next-to-no IG presence, and really I think putting the GMs in a vacuum would do more harm than good (because really they deserve social interaction, too).

edit: i just looked back in this thread and i'm amazed i said almost the same exact thing two years ago.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I would love:

A) If people didn't say hi to X the minute s/he logged in, or say stuff like "so and so just woke up".
B) If when I died in Llanfair, the people on Earth didn't instantly know I died. (Though of course, this would suck...But I'm making a point, so don't cling to this comment and flame it to hell).
C) If people didn't automatically know my name just by me being in a room.
D) Generic Example D
E) Generic Example E

The list can go on and on and on about what can be changed and what can be made better, etc, etc.

But in most cases like this, you just keep to yourself and deal with it your own way. If people wanna interact with GMs or if that mentally inept Mercenary wants the ability to sense people die and wakeup/goto sleep...Let 'em. Not your place to dictate how they play. A does not rp the same way as B. This will NEVER happen. What you view politic and taboo is completely different from the next rpers. Imposing your rp style on others is bad juju, especially since alot of people do TRY to rp. Telling them how to do it, or that their ways are wrong just leads to dissuasion.

Now for my opinion. Yes, GMs come in on telepathy, and people comment on their death messages. Yes, I comment. It's not like they're joining in on every single telepathic conversation we have, and one or two comments hardly warrents an OOC epidemic.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject:

I'm like this on the subject, I love what the GM's are doing for us, and I like it when they get personal with us. To me, this game IS personal, with the developers. I play WOW also, and to be quite honest about it, I'm sick of the feeling that I am not worth the time of the developers. They don't care what my oppinion is, and even worse, I play at their luxury. Granted, I'm sure it works the same way here, but it's not so blatant. I LIKE hearing from the staff, telling us that we are getting something new, I actually want to get to know the staff. However, if that were the case, an OOC channel would probably be the best idea, with an option to turn it off. And please, not on comms!! Unless of course the OOC channel doesn't cause breakage. Of course, now that this IS Live, then maybe that's no longer an option. I just always feel special when the GM's take notice of our lives.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hokius

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject:

Seth Ventril wrote:
I would love:

A) If people didn't say hi to X the minute s/he logged in, or say stuff like "so and so just woke up".
B) If when I died in Llanfair, the people on Earth didn't instantly know I died. (Though of course, this would suck...But I'm making a point, so don't cling to this comment and flame it to hell).
C) If people didn't automatically know my name just by me being in a room.
D) Generic Example D
E) Generic Example E

A.) My one point here would be to mention that we have telepathy, and therefore the ability to know what's going on other places besides directly in front of our faces. If I only acknowledged people I directly saw, I probably would never talk to anyone because Hok doesn't spend a lot of time in public places.

B.) Again I go back to telepathy...if you die and you are telepathic, I imagine you would let of some sort of mental scream, or maybe even a mental warning or plea for help to others. I know this doesn't apply to lowbies who don't have telepathy...but how far is the abandoned park from the main city? It doesn't seem very far to me, and I can see it being plausible that their regular scream could be heard.

C.) I have to admit, this is the one biggest pet peeve of mine. Even though I can go back to telepathy for some of the higher characters, it would be incredibly rude to rip someone's name from their head rather than just ask it. (of course, I don't remember the last time manners entered the discussion too heavily in Llanfair...hehe). I just usually do my best to head it off by immediately introducing myself to everyone new I meet. It's not always easy, and it doesn't always work, but it's all I can do.

Personally, while I will acknowledge Trevor's and Mickey's statements that the GMs are not gods, I tend to allow Hok to view them as such. Any power that is not easily understood by a person or group of people is likely to be viewed as magic, and the GMs have powers that are not at all easily comprehended, even when they are 'RPing' and zooming in or killing each other. He doesn't really worship them as they are so far beneath the god(s) that he does consider worthwhile. I really often imagined them as being a kind of imitation of the Greek gods, often interfering in the lives of us mere mortals for their own entertainment. And I don't see it as being particularly OOC to kiss-up to them or beg them for attention. Another way to look at them, IMO, would be as super-heroes/villains/people. And if Superman really existed, and we all had telepathy and or knew his cell phone number, I imagine he'd get a ton of calls or telepathic communications requesting his presence for silly little things and if two super-people were fighting in the sky, even just for fun, I imagine a lot of people would be able to see it, and a lot of other people would have access to something of a telepathic vision of the event. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I know I rely a lot on telepathy in my argument, but really, it does exist IC, and it changes a LOT of things from how we act in our real lives.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:

Meh. I was just using those things as examples to support my argument that you can't really change the way others do things. ESPECIALLY after the fact that it's been rampant for so long now. It's like having a dog for 10 years, and you've let him up on the furniture the entire 10 years. Then you get a new couch...And suddenly you don't want your dog on it...Trying to break him of the habit is a long, painstaking process. And even when you think you've broke him of it...You come home from a 3 hour leave only to find your couch in a state of disarray (I speak from experience).
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:

Seth wrote:
C) If people didn't automatically know my name just by me being in a room

I mean come on, this is a text based game but even graphical games have their name labeled above or below their char. So you would rather see a room that just had their race type instead of the name of the person? It would take forever to find someone in particular in a crowd if all you see are: an eolai, an eolai, a darju, an eolai, an alteri, a jaddan, an alteri, an alteri, an alteri, a human, an eolai..... The parsing would really suck.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Once again...Since people insist on nitpicking...Those were loose examples of things that people should be making certain concessions for since there is simply no "ideal" way around it.

I'm not saying the GMs should get rid of them.

Though it would be cool (if for arrivals/departures/deaths) that Yaru's idea was used.
---
---
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Tao kinda brings up a good point I've been hesitant to say. I've been debating on suggesting a system very similar to that, but I figured it would have (and probably will as I'm going to go into it now) get shot down very quickly.

Pretty much the system is such:

[Llanfair, Cloud Court]
You see a fountain, a person, some weird looking holographic projection, etc, etc.
Also here is a slender eolai, a surly-looking jaddan, a middle-aged scarred human and a emaciated darju who looks like she hasn't eaten in years.

So, coming in people would see it as, "a long-haired hippy of a human strides in". I would personally love to see this sort of take effect like spellbooks (as an example). So, say I, the long-haired hippy of a human go up to the slender eolai and INTROduce myself and she does the same (introduce eolai for verbage). I would from there on in see her as Gina Windtalker and she would see me as Denavae DeVries. Or I could go the lazy route and INTRODUCE ALL to just pretty much say, "Hi! I'm Denavae DeVries!" and everyone in the room would see me as Denavae DeVries from there on in. However, after so long of a time you don't see this person, you begin to forget them. So, if it was just a casual encounter and you INTRO to someone, there's a chance in a few weeks you might not remember said person (based on mentality/intell or something?). However, if you INTRO LONG EOLAI, you tell that person about yourself in depth (reserved for good friends) and it's unlikely you'll ever forget them.

However, death brings about a synapse loss, and you will undoubtedly forget some people and have to be reINTROduced to them. This effect is more prominent on people you just met, and less noticeable on people you consider close friends (via intro long)

Anyways, like I said, it was just a suggestion, and probably one that'll be shot down by the majority. To me, it would be a fun RP tool, but we all see things differently, so maybe this would just be tedious to everyone else.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I assume that every PC in Haelrahv is well known by the general community.

You're all b-list celebrities to me. Very Happy
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject:

from dregonards point of view all gms are imaginary friends that she sometimes interacts with and on occasion encourages other people to interact with

from my point of view if i need to speak to a gm i use report Twisted Evil
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Hokius wrote:

Even though I can go back to telepathy for some of the higher characters, it would be incredibly rude to rip someone's name from their head rather than just ask it. (of course, I don't remember the last time manners entered the discussion too heavily in Llanfair...hehe).

Ha, Wei does that all the time. I personally think it fits her style way more than asking someone their name, but rude probably fits too. Wink

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:

Dragoneyes wrote:
Quote:
I'm like this on the subject, I love what the GM's are doing for us, and I like it when they get personal with us. To me, this game IS personal, with the developers. I play WOW also, and to be quite honest about it, I'm sick of the feeling that I am not worth the time of the developers. They don't care what my oppinion is, and even worse, I play at their luxury. Granted, I'm sure it works the same way here, but it's not so blatant. I LIKE hearing from the staff, telling us that we are getting something new, I actually want to get to know the staff. However, if that were the case, an OOC channel would probably be the best idea, with an option to turn it off. And please, not on comms!! Unless of course the OOC channel doesn't cause breakage. Of course, now that this IS Live, then maybe that's no longer an option. I just always feel special when the GM's take notice of our lives.

I had the same issue with Dragonrealms, with not feeling that what I wanted made any difference. One thing I love about Haelrahv is that the GMs are involved in the world. There is something to be said for the king or queen to live out amongst his or her people. So I don't think you have to worry about anything like that here.

Zanquin has a unique view on the GMs and the gods. She sees both as nothing more than powerful beings who have a greater grasp on Creation than others. She respects the majority (though some she dislikes because of what their followers have done, such as the kidnappings), but she views Gemrem no different than Trevor. Except maybe that Gemrem is a lot more dangerous to name.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

oh geez please no one go viewing GMs as lesser lesser pantheons Sad
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I know. LESSER pantheons?!

Kidding, of course. Wink

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: