Arts and Crafts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Arts and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Solphan
Lord of All That Is Agenty

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
As a spin-off of the above, I'd be interested in seeing Artisans being able to "take-in" pants and such. All that would be required is that the Artisan take the measurements of the customer and, though professional magic, add the adjective "snug" to it. Now, if it's possible to code, I'd rather it not say "snug" when not worn by that specific person.

I like it.. but I think I'd rather have it be snug for a particular race/height/body type (or combination of those) rather than a specific person.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I guess that would be better, Solphan. Maybe it could be made into a ladder-like system, too: at the beginning of the Tailor's career, they can only fit clothes by race.. later on, they can adjust the clothing by bodytype... and even later still, they can nearly perfect the clothing by taking in some height measurements.

::Shrug:: A line of adjectives could be added, too: loose -> snug -> perfectly fitted. Something like that.

--William, shuting up as the complexity he's asking for starts to dawn on him

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Satia

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Would it be possible to rent a work area, that would provide the tools necessary for several of the tailoring processes (threading, looming, et al) for a period of time? This would help those who probably won't have the money to purchase the needed tools and such in the beginning of their clothier careers. Not to mention that it'll add the atmosphere of working in a sweatshop, which is always a plus. However, if the tools cannot be provided, the workshop itself would be nice... it'll encourage people to not make clothes in front of the hospital. ::Cough!::

Actually, I had something like this in mind. After all, I can't imagine anyone lugging around a spinning wheel on their back or even a loom, which I view more as functional furniture. However, sewing kits and smaller tools will be required, and those will be portable. Sewing kits will come in various sizes. The smaller starter kits will be more affordable than the larger kits, which can hold more tools.

Hmm, as to race specific clothing. I somewhat like the idea, but I'm not completely sure yet how to approach this. We do have a special fabric exclusive to one of the races, and some races might be allergic to certain materials, but all that has not been fully decided yet. You've certainly given me a lot to think about.

I have to admit that when I tried to imagine how race specific clothing would work, it led me to a mind block because I'm thinking that if I really wanted to, I could dress up as a biker chick, a beach bum, a ballerina, the devil, etc. whatever the heck I want. Sure, I'd look silly, but in reality, I can wear anything in the world so long as I am not allergic to the materials. I'm trying to picture how something like this would work, so give me some time to think about it. I'm not saying no at this point because I like the idea of adding complexities to the system.

Snug clothing: Again, I like it, but sheesh you're really making this hard on me Wink I'm new at coding so the complex stuff is a little daunting, but I really love the idea. So again, I'm not going to say no, but give me awhile to think on it and try to figure out how it should/could work.

At this point, I'm not sure if players will be able to alter clothes that they buy off the rack or from a merchent. However, highly skilled tailors might be able to embroider designs on their creations... similar to Morrigan's detailing idea. In fact, good ol' Morrigan gave me this idea, so thank her Wink

Quote:
I am interested in tailoring. I like the idea of everything you've mentioned so far. I just hope we can gather silk, satin, lace, cotton, different types of fur, leathers and so on. I also hope we can add different kinds of laces, beads, bells buttons and so forth so that each person can make something completely unique. Maybe some materials and items should be for higher level tailors.

There will be gathering of raw materials of various types and processing them for use. Generic materials will also be for sale for the lazy types, but they won't make much of a profit that way. There will be buttons that higher skilled tailors can add on as an extra step in the sewing process. I didn't think of lacing and bells, so thanks for the ideas! Some materials will be more difficult to manage than others, so skill will play a part in a successful finished good.

Thanks for the great ideas!
-Satia
 Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I suppose it would be difficult to make all clothing race specific or relative to body size. It just seems silly that a pair of pants in DR would fit the same on a halfling and a Gor'tog. Maybe you simply add a size to the clothes so my petite tailor would buy a small size and tall jaddan would buy an XX large but maybe that would go without saying and explains how everyone can wear the same pants in DR, I don't know. However you couldn't resell the pants to a taller person because they wouldn't fit. You'd have to check the size first.

I do like the idea of tailoring, fitting cloths, making them and adding some details, like adding gems to gowns or butterfly appliques and stuff like that.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm personally pretty much against race-specific clothing except in rare cases, if said clothing is magical or the race in question had ten arms or something. Humans, Darju, Eolai are roughly the same build in many cases given the overlap of heights and weights.

I'm not completely against various sizes based on height or something. Like perhaps a size 4 is meant for folks of 4 feet in height, give or take six inches or so. But this doesn't take into account weight or build.

We also have to consider that it's definitely going to happen that you have a much harder time finding clothes you want if sizes come into play. This is great for the tailor, but may be frustrating overall.

Just food for thought.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I was just thinking it might be better in the long run to do this. I mean look at all the STUFF in DR. I just keeps getting bought and resold. Maybe clothes could get worn out, like in RL unless you take really good care of them. I guess I don't want as much 'junk' and fluff as is floating around DR right now it boggles the mind. I have like 4 vaults FULL of fluff I don't use, shouldn't some of it get eaten by moths or something by now? LOL
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject:

<g> imagine how hard it would be to sell if you had to find a buyer with a matching build?

Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm 100% with Rich on the clothing sizes thing. I don't think it would add anything to the game in the long run, except maybe a big pain in the rear.

Sharing and swapping would be almost impossible, unless Artisans were able to "adjust" sizes. But again, that would just be too tedious.

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
desiree

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Not even small, medium and large?

okay so maybe it was a crappy idea but will clothing/items wear out after awhile? Or will it linger on for infinity?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm a proponent of breakage and wear-out, personally. As long as it's paced well.

Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject:

Would that make a nice poll question?

I too think that clothing and items should eventually wear out, not quickly, but over time I think they should degrade so that new articles of clothing and weapons need to be made. Maybe some rare items will never wear out. But if you have a bunch of people making clothes, armor and weapons it would decrease the value of their products if items never wore out.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject:

More opinions are welcome Smile

Back to top »
HR-Satia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject:

How about if we approach it from the other side and make it so that the tailor has the ability to create special items based on their race. For example, let's pretend that the Darju have a knack for lace-up sleeves, so that particular pattern can only be used by tailors of that race. Once created, anyone is welcome to wear the finished item, but it can only be sewn by the Darju tailor. I think this approach makes a little more sense, and it still gives something special for each race. Now, if you like this approach, what items do you think should be specific to which races? Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help,
-Satia
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject:

I have to agree here with clothing not restricted to race or size. It kindof takes away from the role playing experience, and like Trevor said, the resale value of having to find someone who fits inside it. It's true the Eolai do have one material that's 'restricted' to their culture, however....that wouldn't stop anyone from another race from wearing it, instead it might increase your chance of having several Eolai immediately hire a mercenary to er....take you out since you'd offended them.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject:

I agree clothes and weapons should eventually wear out. However rather than being based on time owned I think it would be more interesting to have this based on use.

For instance the blade of a character who focuses on non combat skills and hunts sparley shouldn't wear out as quickly as the blade of a characte who focuses on combat.

The criteria for clothes may be a little more tricky, of course quality would play into it, but I personally own some simple and cheap clothing that has lasted me years. It would be nice if it somehow implimented use as well. Perhaps hunting in clothing that's not covered by armor could cause wear, worn out knees and elbows, etc. that could possibly be patched by a tailor. Also sitting on items that are not furniture, climbing, swimming, etc. seem also likley to cause wear on ones clothes. And perhaps the inexplicable tearing of particularly low quality items at any given moment. (this could lead to much embarassment)

I could do without race specific sizes and possibly without being able to fit clothes to snug or loose, etc. It would add a small dash of realism, but I'd be more interested in alterations that were more versatile and obvious, something like sewing patches onto clothes, and mabye learning how to embroider patterns, or something more intricate by some other form of study, such as likenesses of asapii, trees, etc.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Arts and Crafts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: