FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
7 wonders of the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » 7 wonders of the world
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

senseandviolets wrote:
just don't think that future civiliazation will be put into a similar state of awe at our ability to construct them.

It's not so much about the architecture as it is the story behind them and/or the symbolism. When you start to include concepts like the birth of a child or the internet it sort of loses the original intent of being a tribute to monuments. I personally don't see a need for a list, but it was fun to see which ones are considered most admirable.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

If the Great Wall and an army of cyborgs got in a fight, the Great Wall would win. Debunk THAT with Snopes!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pyramids must rise above poll, says irate Egypt

Eva Langlands
Sun 25 Feb 2007

They are among the world's most iconic structures, visited by thousands of tourists every year.

But Egypt's ancient pyramids are now at the centre of an extraordinary row over a global contest to rename the seven wonders of the world.
Advert for SuperScotBingo

Egypt has branded the contest a "disgrace", claiming that the Pyramids of Giza - the only surviving marvel from the original list - should not have to compete.

Top Egyptian officials have publicly attacked the competition, which invites people from across the world to vote for their favourite architectural wonder from 21 finalists.

The modern list lumps the ancient pyramids alongside attractions such as Australia's Sydney Opera House, New York's Statue of Liberty, Britain's Stonehenge and Peru's Machu Picchu.

So far the campaign has attracted more than 24 million votes from people in more than 185 countries. It is expected to gather 100 million votes before the final decision is broadcast across the world on July 7 from Lisbon, Portugal.

All finalist countries apart from Egypt have backed the contest, extending a warm welcome to organisers and recognising the event's potential to increase tourism. In Jordan, Queen Rania al-Abdullah met organisers in a ceremony before hundreds of journalists to celebrate the ancient city of Petra. And in Greece, President Károlos Papoúlias met the contest organiser, the Swiss-born Canadian adventurer Bernard Weber, in Athens' historical city centre in a public show of support.

But Egypt, outraged by the contest, has staged a boycott.

The head of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, said the campaign had "no scientific or official stature". The pyramids are "living in the hearts of people around the globe and don't need a vote to be among the world wonders," said Hawass to the state-run Middle East News Agency.

Meanwhile, Egyptian Culture Minister Farouk Hosni described the contest as "nonsense". "They have to understand the archaeological and the historical stature of the pyramids," he said.

Egyptian officials refused to meet Weber on his visit to Egypt last month.

When he tried to hold a press conference in a hotel near the pyramids, police arrived and shut it down, claiming that restoration work had to be carried out on the building. Hundreds of journalists were turned away. Unable to hand over a certificate marking the pyramids' place in the final to Egyptian officials, Weber buried the document in the sand near the ancient monuments. Now he is appealing to Egyptians to find the "treasure" so that it can remain in the country rather than be taken abroad by a tourist.

Organisers say Egypt's hostility is unwarranted, as the contest aims to renew international interest in culture and history, not strip the pyramids of their ancient status.

The commonly known Seven Ancient Wonders of the World were man-made monuments built between 2,500 BC and 200 BC and chosen by Philon of Byzantium in 200 BC His selection, located around the Mediterranean basin, was essentially a travel guide for fellow Athenians.

Today, only the spectacular pyramids at Giza in Egypt remain. Now, just as Pierre de Coubertin revived the Olympic Games in 1896 with his modern version of the competition, Weber is seeking to revive the concept of the Seven Wonders of the World by establishing a consensus of worldwide opinion.

"The key difference is that, this time around, they will not be chosen by one man, but rather by millions of people all over the world," said Weber, whose varied career as a filmmaker, museum curator, aviator and explorer has taken him across the world.

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Tkiro

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject:

Someone named Phil picked the original Wonders of the World? Shocked
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

HR-Tkiro wrote:

Phil of the Future? Smile
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
HR-Tkiro wrote:

Phil of the Future? Smile

I think you meant Phuture.

all together now ::groan::
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » 7 wonders of the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: