FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
want to be included? (a guide!)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » want to be included? (a guide!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: want to be included? (a guide!)

these are hardly rules, but my own personal advice:

1) say something. no, really. say something. noone is psychic, and noone knows if you feel left out. if you want to be a part of something, do something about it! if you see GMNPC X around, but you feel going "hey where is X and what is he up to?", say something else that can allow someone to segue into something to clue you in.

example:
Code:
*Rkaren logs in.
[Telepathy] (close) Joe Roleplay projects: "Been really quiet lately. Any trouble come up recently?"
[Telepathy] (close) Rkaren BadGuy projects: "BWAH HA HA FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT PEW-NEE MOR-TALL"

2) don't squelch people. yep. it sucks that you actually have to listen to people you dislike. but, hey, those people also sometimes do what they can to give information. so if you don't know something, maybe it's because you had the wrong person ignored. it also does a shitty job of roleplay when in a group, as if person X is talking, you are oblivious to everything going on from that person.

3) remember to dislike characters, not players. time and time again during the last event i've had people go to me and go "you [the player] are being mean and rude by getting angry at people, so now i don't want to take part! Nyah nyah!"

this has me confused in two ways. one, how does this punish me? i'm still involved in the event, and you're not. this baffles me, as the goal is to get you included. two, what is wrong with a character being pissed off? friends and loved ones being kidnapped. people mocking it publicly. so on. wouldn't that, ICly, piss your character off, too? it makes 0 sense, to me, to instantly switch gears and go from "RAR I AM SO P.O.ed RIGHT NOW" to "Okay here is my calm assessment of the sitatution so noone's feelings are hurt".

if a CHARACTER is being mean, then feel free to react to the CHARACTER. just do yourself a favor and realize it's directed to your CHARACTER, and not YOU. that way you can have fun. safe to say that i've taken efforts to include people who dislike me on an OOC (and thus silly) level, and if i'm going to do that, then i'm most likely not going to ignore you, too.

if anything, i may give the information needed while also having my character be pissed off while giving it (which i did, a few times). of course, this resulted in people OOCly saying "yeah well you're mean good bye i don't want to be in this dumb event anyway!" once again, this makes no sense to me as it's done as a favor to you, not to me.

4) don't expect information to be totally outright given in a blunt (OOC) manner. this baffled me last night. there was plenty of public chatter of doing this, that, and the other thing, yet noone took a strong effort to actually go "hey what the hell is going on?" i think one person did, and sadly that was missed in the scroll of everything else going on.

if you want to roleplay, never ever expect this:
Code:

[Telepathy] (close) Bob RolePlay projects: Hey guys! We're going to all kill Rkaren tonight! Please gather at Cloud Court for further instructions!"

instead, expect this:
Code:

[Telepathy] (close) Bob Roleplay projects: Does anyone know where a purple grue is located?

why? for a few reasons. one, it's downright OOC to just make a general roleplay announcement. two, it is also, very often, OOC or at least silly RP-wise to go publicly talking about things like "hey we're going to kill this guy listening in but not expecting it!" three, because at least in my view, it's just not something my character is going to do.

5) stop with conspiracies. no, there is no secret 100+ club of people who only tell other people who are 100+ about events. no, there is no secret GM-PC club of people who only tell other GM-PCs when their GM-NPCs are going to be doing things. no, noone, at all, probably cares enough to try and actively not include you, especially if they don't know who you are/that you want to participate.

seriously. know what makes me not want to try and keep people informed like i did this time? having people accuse me of keeping things secret, not wanting others included, and so on. what was the point of the other whole thread if i didn't want people to stay aware and be able to easily join in at the next point of the event? i don't know.

feel free to add your own advice, too. this list is for everyone.
HR-Tkiro

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
5) stop with conspiracies. no, there is no secret 100+ club of people who only tell other people who are 100+ about events. no, there is no secret GM-PC club of people who only tell other GM-PCs when their GM-NPCs are going to be doing things. no, noone, at all, probably cares enough to try and actively not include you, especially if they don't know who you are/that you want to participate.

I just want to emphasize that.(Is it an actual belief?)

I have a rough enough time running 2+ characters at a time. I don't have the time to go through everyone interacting with those characters and say "Oh. (s)he's not played by a GM! Nor are they 100th! Away with you, vermin!". And quite frankly, even if I could do it, I wouldn't. I like all of you and would love to see you all getting in on the action.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Those are some good tips, thanks Yaru.

I just have a couple comments. First, it can’t be stressed enough, we would like to see as many involved in events as we can. These events are supposed to be impacting the community your character lives in, so stand up and say something!

I also just wanted to add that I know some of you were thrown off by the Disciples only speaking Alterian. Not everyone is fluent in common, so ask for a translation if you want to get involved and can’t understand the GMPC. Besides, it could lead to further RP when something gets “misconstrued.” We also understand that not everyone studies the various languages. So if no one is there who can translate we’re not going to just spout unintelligible words at people, we will change things to accommodate the situation.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

While I do agree with everything you said, especially the conspiracy part (No, the GM's are not maliciously singling you out as a player. You don't matter that much) this is my only gripe:

Quote:
2) don't squelch people. yep. it sucks that you actually have to listen to people you dislike. but, hey, those people also sometimes do what they can to give information. so if you don't know something, maybe it's because you had the wrong person ignored. it also does a shitty job of roleplay when in a group, as if person X is talking, you are oblivious to everything going on from that person.

In a perfect world, our small community is all happy and butterflies. Huzzah. But this is the real world. We all see eachother on a daily basis (Those who play day-by-day), and it's a small community. And there will be fighting and argueing. Some of it will be rp (Seth vs. Yaru), and some will be ooc. But sometimes, the most productive way to handle an arguement is to squealch. Personally, I don't squealch. I've had to one time, and it was a necessary thing.

In short, I don't condone squealching over a minor squabble of beliefs or methods, but in my eyes it's a necessary evil.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

totally agree, but the downside is you miss out on information if that person does say something useful.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » want to be included? (a guide!)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: