FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Disciple Suggestions
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Disciple Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Disciple Suggestions

I'm sure I'm not the only one floating around with more than a passive interest in this profession. In fact, depending on how they're fleshed out pre-Live, my primary character may possibly be swayed over to be one instead of a Performer (I know, my allegiance is faltering, but Mickey will probably end up being their Guru too Wink).

Let's refresh everyone's memory about the profession:

HR-Trevor, initial introduction, wrote:
New profession: Disciples. The gods of Haelrahv will make their influence known more than ever in Live, and Disciples will be their holy (or unholy, or perhaps just balancing) representatives.

The abilties of Disciples will include a number of prayers, blessings, curses, and s on. They'll have some protective and minor healing powers, but no major healing and no ressurrection. That's for our medics.

If you'd like a comparison to other games you might have played, consider a mixture between a typical cleric class and a necromancer class ala diablo II. Not in the 'raise dead' sense (see: Psionics), but in the vexes and curses to weaken foes.

Players will be able to play Disciples that serve gods of any alignment and have powers that fit their god of choice.

HR-Trevor, on crafting domains, wrote:
Disciples:
Perhaps religious icons and items that allow others to occasionally draw some minor boon from their god. While not a 'creation', Disciples will be able to sanctify weapons to increase their potency against the unliving.

So, to get the brainstorming started, I'll go ahead and give out a couple of ideas I came up with a few moments ago. Hopefully I'll have more in the coming days, and I hope others feel like making some too.
  • I've brought this up somewhere before, but I hope the "weapon sanctifying" also applies in reverse. That is to say, have evil-aligned Disciples able to infuse weapons with anti-living energies. This would clearly need to either be a weaker "bless" or come with way fewer "charges" to keep the abuse to a minimum. Either that, or have all weapon sanctifying come at a high cost (e.g., favor of your god, etc).

• While Mages control the elements, and Psionics various mental pathways, I suppose Disciples could have dominion over light and darkness. Evil-aligned Disciples would have it easier when blocking light sources, while good-aligned Disciples would have it easier when generating/amplifying light sources. Neutral Disciples would need an averaged amount of effort (see: focus cost) to do either, depending on the situation. This may or may not necessarily mean Mages would lose the Amplify Starlight spell of theirs.

• I'm a big fan of focus costs evolving for spells/abilities depending on the Disciple's level of devotion to their god, what god they serve, and perhaps even location. For instance, I would like to think that someone serving Oshib would not have as easy a time producing a protective barrier as someone serving Ekoe. Or someone serving Rihdtu being able to subdue an opponent with mental despair to the degree someone serving Lvordu would be able to. However, I understand that this could very easily become a difficult aspect to manage, let alone code. But I leave that up to you guys to figure out.

• Along similar lines, I would love to see "ability trees", and not just in this profession. These ability trees should include some fluffy roleplaying-centered abilities, but they should also contain at least a handful of useful abilities. Every x-amount of levels, your character would be able to choose a new ability based on what they've chosen in the past. I'll try to come up with some good examples of this later.

That's it for now. I have a few more, but I'd like to get them worded right before posting them. Please, join in on this guys! You may have an idea that helps shape a profession in Live!

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Disciple Suggestions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: